Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1

mustang1989

Thanks for the comments and the "likes" fellas.

I managed to get the engine completed. After toying around with the air filter element some, I decided to go with a upc bar code printed up and cut to fit.

hocCaq.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 14

Just beautiful Joe. I have to remind myself this is 1:25th scale and the pictures are actually ten times as big as the actual thing! BTW, how do you get that cast metal look on the intake and exhaust manifolds? It seems so realistic.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:43 PM, ea0863 said:

Just beautiful Joe. I have to remind myself this is 1:25th scale and the pictures are actually ten times as big as the actual thing! BTW, how do you get that cast metal look on the intake and exhaust manifolds? It seems so realistic.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:40 PM, KWT said:

Very realistic there bud

On 7/14/2023 at 6:23 PM, ewetwo said:

Very nice.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, slusher said:

Sweet engine Joe!

Thanks for the comments fellas. 

Emre, I prime the intake and exhaust manifolds black and then come back over both with a very light coat of Aluminum Alclad. No work gets done to the intake after this treatment but the exhaust manifolds get one more step. I apply a light dry brushing of ground up black pastel over them to add some depth and extra weathering.

• Thanks 1

Moving on to my next favorite part of auto building....the interior. If there's one thing I cannot STAND it's molded in foot pedals. They just look so dang fake!! The fix......is to remove the toe board on the drivers side.

7OJegg.jpg

What'll happen is that I'll use either PE foot pedals or pedals from another kit and use needles as the swing levers and mount them on the back side of the dash. The following photos show this process when I built my Dyno Don Ford Maverick. The results speak for themselves.......

5GRQe6.jpg

fgX9I8.jpg

j4YHKZ.jpg

In the case of my Maverick, I used foot pedals from an AMT Mustang kit that I had

DfYPsv.jpg

And cut the levers off leaving the pedals and using the needles pictured above for the levers

qBpUpy.jpg

Mounted to the rear of the dash in the following shot:

fPa12g.jpg

The turn out is just SO much better of a result as can be seen on my 1970 Maverick dash:

Wt5XXm.jpg

• Like 5

Gotta follow this thread. I arrived here accidently (a slip of my fumbley digits) but I'm glad I did. I just picked up this kit on Friday at Ollie's along with another AMT kit. If anyone has an Ollie's near their home, you may find the kits shown (among others.)  Go grab a couple of 'VettesIMG_4457.jpg.7cb1516be3385f6dabc4e1dc966cc6cc.jpg and follow along! (Notice the price stickers)

Sorry for jumping in like this (I got excited 🥴) but it may help someone get some cheap kits. Nice work on the engine, Joe, and great idea for the pedals! I'm following 😎

• Like 1

Thanks a lot fellas! All updates will start slowing after this weekend as I get ready to go to the Nationals in San Marcos. It's promising to be a great time and I've been looking forward to going to one of these for a LONG time now.

For today though....Update time: I cut a thin piece of clear Evergreen plastic this morning and glued it into place. After that I cut the same shape from some sandpaper so the floor carpeting wouldn't be lost and adhered that on top of the clear panel. I'll be hitting the sandpaper with some gloss to give everything a uniform base to start with and then we'll be going with the color. I'll be going with a black interior but it won't be boring.

EWysAS.jpg

Something else that caught my attention was the molded in park brake handle. This........will change.ORSAY9

K36QAm.jpg

There'll be a few items from this sheet ending up in the interior. Thank God for The MCG...

dYWY6X.jpg

I've got the interior tub painted with a base coat of black primer and painted the door panels and console in a semi-gloss black. Driver's toe board where the swing pedals were is pretty much blended in at this point in the build. Since I've painted it, I've re-thought the situation some and have decided to open up a panel for displaying a little more detail.

Axsdt5.jpg

I decided to open the battery compartment up behind the drivers seat and have painted a battery all up and detailed it already. I'll be cutting the drivers seat to display it in the forward position to allow visibility back to the battery compartment in the coming updates. I've started on both door panels by painting the wood grain paneling & outlining the chrome strips on the panel as well as installing PE window crank handles. I've also begun the center console detailing process.

Dvggky.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 4

On 7/31/2023 at 8:39 AM, atomicholiday said:

Opening up the battery compartment on a 70’s Vette.  Now there’s some next-level detailing for ya.  I love where you’re going with this thing so far, Joe.  Can’t wait to see what’s next.👍

Thanks Jeremy,

I've been on this one pretty much every day trying to get things right on it. Thanks goes out to a good friend of mine named Brent for supplying me with some interior shots of his car which reminded me that the seats are NOT all semi gloss/ leather. The comfort weave pattern in the center of the seats is actually matte in appearance so I masked off and replicated the look. I also cut the drivers seat in half and put it back together like it is now to display it folded forward as to give a better view to the battery box behind the seat.  OOB shifter is now installed after reworking and trimming it up to keep it from looking like a blob sticking out of the console and making it a bit more defined. Additionally, I'll be making the battery compartment door hinged and displayed open.

I also installed the PE door handles and picked out the details on the center console around the shifter as well. Battery is all painted up and detailed and this mock up shows what I've been building towards for the past few weeks. I may go back and paint the interior of the battery box area semi gloss black to add contrast between the interior and the compartment for added interest. With the molded in park brake handle removed I'll be working on that area next.

XnS8bk.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 8

So Joe, this is the Corvette you spoke of in the other forum when you were referring to the use of the slow thinner.  I am just seeing this now and I have to say you are doing a bang up job so far.  I never thought of using pastels for the exhaust manifolds. I will have to try that.  

Gil

• Thanks 1