Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Plymouth Superbird: WIP

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I've started the finish work on the Superbird. while I'm working up the courage to apply the BMF, there are some decals I can place.

AMT's version of the kit didn't come with the licensed Roadrunner cartoon decals. I just couldn't bring myself to build this kit, this Plymouth Roadrunner, without the iconic Roadrunner cartoon character decals. Fortunately I found just what I needed at Slot Car Fever by Cheyna on Etsy.

I also received a supplemental kit from @Superbird McMonte  that contains some of the smaller detail decals not supplied in the other set.

The Slot Car Fever by Cheyna decals are a two part application, there is a white base and a colored overlay. I've added the white base and I'm allowing it to firmly establish itself while I work on other projects.

70_Suprbird_28.jpg.e27cb3377da23ccffd46ec9b60bec721.jpg

Meanwhile as a bonus, here is a test fit mockup. The nose sits a little high on the chassis. The interior seems to be lifting it just a bit but I can easily push it down into the proper position and some glue should hold it there.

70_Suprbird_29.jpg.35d07d96b4971ebbc597a359a0c5ea13.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look, and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 3

Hello Everybody!

It's time for another update.

I managed to get about half of the foil work done and some of the decals placed in this session.

70_Suprbird_30.jpg.ebc5f42d8faee84c95403021dc69b664.jpg

The two part Roadrunner decals, while fiddly and a little frustrating came out quite well.

70_Suprbird_31.jpg.2216ccb3f8ee747787982f6dfe09f631.jpg

The beak badge was also a two part decal with the white base under the main decal. I trimmed the white circle a little undersized, or so I thought. A little bit of it shows from under the black decal on top, but it's not bad.

70_Suprbird_32.jpg.a6b4d2d336743a8e07f308fa30609882.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment if one feels the desire to do so.

David G.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, xs650shawn said:

Looking really good. I'm glad I looked at your update, as I ordered the same decals you did, after I saw your post. I was a bit confused as to why there was the white stickers. Didn't realize the decals were 2 part.

Thank you Shawn. Yes, the decals are a two-part application and their use is a bit on the tricky side, at least they were for me. Luckily multiple sets are provided.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

David, you have done some great work on your Superbird and it’s a real beauty. Looking forward too the finished bird…

Thank you Carl, I appreciate your kind words. I'm hoping to have it done soon too.

David G.

12 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

David -  This really looking great!  I can’t log on from work any longer with the forum issues, so I can’t comment much. Really nice work!

Thank you so much for looking in Chaz, and thank you for your kind comment.

I hope to have this one done soon.

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

Slow progress on this... and everything else in my life.

The rest of the foil work is complete! Any rough bits will be touched up with Molotow.

70_Suprbird_33.jpg.60cd7aa30076ec37bb64c23cac78fc53.jpg

I also got the engine bay finished up and the glass installed. 

It may look like the photo is out of focus but I think that the checkerboard pattern on the air cleaner decal is kind of strobing and it makes it out of focus. Zoom in tight and you'll see what I mean.

70_Suprbird_34.jpg.b2abb2be3affc38fae42efe2a407c875.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel to post a comment if one is so moved.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Meep! Meep!

It's time for another Roadrunner update.

The chassis and body have been permanently assembled. The beak will be permanently attached after I get the decals applied and everything has been cleaned up. 

70_Suprbird_35.jpg.bde90371b4f7744c74c81a7e970b76aa.jpg

When attaching the rear bumper, I almost forgot to install the tail lights first. Luckily I remembered them while there was still time to correct the omission. The spoiler is in place but will likely remain unglued to help prevent any future problems during handling, cleaning, etc.

70_Suprbird_36.jpg.6a909316e7232a47b5d9bad09206dce9.jpg

That's it for this update.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 2