Model Cars Magazine Forum

Absolutely crazy asking price for a 1/24 decal sheet

There’s something up with these type of sellers in Japan. I’ve noticed the same thing with guitars as well. When you check out this store just about everything is over $1000, yet they have sold over 1500 items in the past year. There’s more to the story than just simply being clueless about pricing. Maybe if Paul Harvey was still alive, he could tell us the rest of the story.

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

It's dollars, not yen.

expensive.jpg.5fbe577c39e2781d36eca6969a9324d5.jpg

Not what he meant. This happens often on Ebay. Whoever entered the price did not check off the currency as Yen. They checked the Dollar box but then entered the amount as if in Yen. Depending on how often they check their posts (which could be almost never for a big place) it could stay wrong for the duration of the posting. 

Japanese collectors are willing to pay out the wazoo if its something they need to complete a collection. If you ever get the chance to see japanese collections you'll see complete sets of each series, usually in new/mint condition. A japanese collector buying hald a dozen of the same rare kit just to assemble one perfect kit isn't unusual. During the 90s they were paying 30k for thoroughly rotten minis. If it was early they wanted them. I remember seeing a mk1 cooper, that i very much doubt lasted the boat trip, sell for near 90k and there is more metal in a tamiya model kit than this mini had left. Look what they are willing to pay for the first watermelon each year, its into millions of USA dollars for something that wont even last a month. Its just a different culture when it comes to some things

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Not unusual for Japanese sellers to post absurdly high prices for most mundane, fairly common and readily available items. Check out used, beat-up sneakers.

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

There’s something up with these type of sellers in Japan. I’ve noticed the same thing with guitars as well. When you check out this store just about everything is over $1000, yet they have sold over 1500 items in the past year. There’s more to the story than just simply being clueless about pricing. Maybe if Paul Harvey was still alive, he could tell us the rest of the story.

One word ,,, 

money laundering. 

😉

I seen a cop show a few years ago where a hit man was getting paid by putting up common sports card on e-bay [their version of it] for a ridiculous prices [the price of the hits] and his client would then buy the card, actually paying for the hit

Edited by Can-Con

I contacted the seller and asked if the price was in dollars or Yen. It didn't take long for a reply.

ご関心をお寄せいただきありがとうございます。はい、デカールの価格は正しいです。日本円ではなく、米ドル/ユーロ。

Google Translate:

Go kanshin o o yose itadaki arigatōgozaimasu. Hai, dekāru no kakaku wa tadashīdesu. Nihon'ende wa naku, amerikadoru/ yūro.
Thank you for your interest. Yes, the price of decals is correct. USD/EUR, not Japan JPY.

People that have more money than sense are called " Whales".  There the folks they spend spend spend on anything to save time or etc even though this situation is little different - I'm sure there banking on a random idiot lol.

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Studio 27 has them in stock for what the exchange says is $13.16 USD.

http://www.studio27onlineshop.com/shopdetail/000000005546/

Don't bother with those jokers.

Ebay has had the search function for decades where you can see identical items sorted by price low to high.  I guess the seller thinks someone is not smart enough to figure that out.

13 hours ago, Can-Con said:

One word ,,, 

money laundering. 

😉

I seen a cop show a few years ago where a hit man was getting paid by putting up common sports card on e-bay [their version of it] for a ridiculous prices [the price of the hits] and his client would then buy the card, actually paying for the hit

This is what I have thought from the beginning. 

16 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Not unusual for Japanese sellers to post absurdly high prices for most mundane, fairly common and readily available items. Check out used, beat-up sneakers.

I had never looked up sneakers until this thread. They must be having a clearance sale. They are only $100,000 for a pair of sneakers. 😀

• Haha 1

There was an episode of Sledgehammer in which a check cashing store was a front for a counterfeit cash operation. A cop confronted the guy who ran the store and said “You’re giving out two dollars cash for every dollar in checks you take in. How do you plan to make money doing that?”

He replied “We’re gonna make it up in volume”. 

Yeah. Not 100% relevant. 

Edited by LDO
  • Haha 2