Model Cars Magazine Forum

æ*1968 CORONET R/T*æ

1972coronet

MPC 1968 Coronet R/T Convertible

Tamiya Light Blue Pearl (Mr. Surfacer primer base)
Future/ Pledge Clear
Tamiya Mica Red (red oxide primer base) on 'carpet', console, steering column, and dashboard; matt clear. 
Seats & Door Cards are natural white plastic; Tamiya Light Grey Panel Line Accent (overzealous) 
Convertible Boot is natural white plastic
Tamiya Flat Red on sun visors
Inline Tubing 'chrome' touch-up pen on windscreen frame ("dumped" some of the pen's contents into a plastic 'pallet', then brushed-on)

I scratch built a brake master cylinder; results are okay -- better than the kit's incorrect 1966 & earlier version; rest is OOB.

I'm going to chalk this one up as a learning curve (I have another unbuilt copy which I'll do better with... haha). Stance is too low OOB; I did nothing to 'correct' it. All in all, a fun kit ! Quite happy to have this one back, and in much better condition than the 1967 original.

Thank you, Round2 !

Critiques and accolades welcome, as are ad hom. attacks .

coronet-001.jpg.c2bfcfe7512447ce7ff84b5c005475d4.jpgcoronet-002.jpg.04709b0d7473def1c9ec6ecdb1683423.jpgcoronet-003.thumb.jpg.7735bd6390905f6b8142c44745256ff0.jpgcoronet-004.thumb.jpg.e99d59b46db30f64f6041decf2a7bbf7.jpgcoronet-005.thumb.jpg.7fb2b15666d6d6900a4b960c002be701.jpgcoronet-006.jpg.62f269921c4555b41930de7ea4158a6c.jpg

• Like 8

Not at all where my mind would go for a color scheme on this, but wow did it work out! Looks great…that red tail stripe ties the whole thing together. Reading the description I couldn’t picture the red, white and blue working together at all, but the pictures changed my mind! Excellent job on the design and finished product. 

• Thanks 1

I'd neglected to mention the (easy) modification I'd made to the dashboard: I marqued a line with tape side-to-side in order to create a separation between the dash frame and the dash pad. 
Using a jeweller's saw, I carefully cut a line along the marqued area. Then I taped the dash pad, and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y planed the 'metal' part of the dash until it was just-below the 'pad'.
I ran some Tamiya Black Panel Accent through the separation, then primed with grey primer. Then wet sanded the 'frame' to smooth it. Then it was on to the red oxide primer, followed by the Mica Red (aerosol).

An easy modification that even a myopic simpleton like me can perform it.

The only caveat is: be careful with the 'plaining' of the 'metal' portion, as the kit part is quit thin already. It's easy to burn-through if one's not careful. 

More detail-oriented folks can either :
1.) Add some P.E. defroster vents and speaker grille, or;
2.) Add that 'metal' part from one of the Revell 1968-1970 Charger kits (similar to how @StevenGuthmiller did with his (awesome) 1968 Coronet R/T Hardtop -- at the risk of presenting his masterpiece as being that simplistic).

22 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nicely done.

Thanks !

22 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Nice.

Thank You !

21 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Looks Pretty nice. You did a good job. A little out of focus.

Cellphone camera + natural lighting = mediocre photos. I feel that if the sun were out earlier (been overcast here until around 1200), the images would've been better.

20 hours ago, michelle said:

very nice work 

Thank You Kindly !

20 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Very nice Coronet. Turned out pretty good.

I had fun building it. Thanks.

19 hours ago, moparmike619 said:

Not at all where my mind would go for a color scheme on this, but wow did it work out! Looks great…that red tail stripe ties the whole thing together. Reading the description I couldn’t picture the red, white and blue working together at all, but the pictures changed my mind! Excellent job on the design and finished product. 

Thanks much ! I had that colour combo in mind when I started this build. I've seen a handful of "not-recommended" colour combos, and I just had to attempt to replicate a hypothetical representation. 

15 hours ago, cifenet said:

Looks good, I like the color too! 

But next time when taking photo, I'd be pick somewhere else safer, I definitely would not want to lose this over cliff here! :)

Thank You ! I'm limited as to where and when I'm able to photograph. I live on the 2nd floor (1st story) of an apartment; and, the photos are facing-east, right where the sun rises. If I dropped one of my builds over that ledge, I'd become all short-tempered Celt firstly, then I'd retrieve it (haha).

1 hour ago, espo said:

Lot of great attention to detailing using paint. 

Thanks much ! I'd say the most difficult part was painting those (dreaded) moulded-on seat belts. 

16 minutes ago, deuces wild said:

😎👍

Thanks kindly !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...