Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT ‘71 short body Beetle

I’m starting yet another kit today.  I just picked this up Friday for $5 at Wally World.  Didn’t realize it was a shortened body until I opened the box.  At first I thought “no way !  That will never get built.”  But it kinda got under my skin for some reason.  The more I thought about it, the more possibilities I thought of.  It’s pretty far from what I usually do, but lately I’ve been drawn to the oddballs and outcasts.

That being said, I don’t have a clear vision for it yet, which is new for me too.  I don’t normally begin work until I get a pretty clear idea of what I want in the end.

Truthfully, some of it might have to do with the fact that I don’t really care if this kit comes out good or not.  Sounds crazy, but I’ve been struggling with paint issues lately, and I need to do something to change gears and get excited again.  So the only thing that is certain for this kit is that the paint will be an experiment of some kind.  And for a fiver, if it’s a fail, no big deal.

So here we go again!  As always, comments, suggestions, tricks and tips are appreciated.  Thanks for following along!

Here’s the kit I’m starting with.  I think it’s the same one as the “superbug gasser”.

IMG_2597.jpeg.6e8900d1c43d790dbaf6f68fb1cd8259.jpeg

I cleaned up the body, trunk and hood.  That’s as far as I am so far.  Hmmm…. Drag car?  Maybe stuff an engine in the front?  No idea yet!😂

IMG_2598.jpeg.e180033ec1ec588a04863dab7fd9da26.jpeg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Jermey there is a Pyro kit of a shortened bug convertible. It has the cut down doors and they call it a buggy.  This Picture is from the Internet not mine.  This is what I have in mind if I get to it.Picture 1 of 5

Neat...a Beetle done like a Mini Moke or Fiat Jolly.  

8 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I like this kit - I’ll be watching!

I wish I’d seen kits at my local Walmart - NW Indiana here, right under the lake

I looked all over the stores here sense November. Didn't see any until they were on clearance. Jim, go back and look in the sporting good section for whatever reason that is where one store put them. Check every clearance section they have. some stores have more than one isle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Jermey there is a Pyro kit of a shortened bug convertible. It has the cut down doors and they call it a buggy.  This Picture is from the Internet not mine.  This is what I have in mind if I get to it.Picture 1 of 5

That's really cool.   Never seen that kit before. 

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I like this kit - I’ll be watching!

I wish I’d seen kits at my local Walmart - NW Indiana here, right under the lake

Andy is right.   They aren't in the toy department.  At Christmas time they were back by where all the trees were.   Now they're in the middle of the store in a display stand.   Also,  it looks like not many Wal Marts even had kits.   I checked about half a dozen stores and this was the only one that had them.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zippi said:

I like this little short Bug.  Should be a nice build.  Is it curbside?

Nope.  It’s got an engine and even a couple different exhaust options.  Not sure how much detail there is though.  I haven’t checked it out yet.

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

Edited by atomicholiday

Jeremy, I've been exactly where you're at - and I think you've got the perfect remedy! Some of the most fun builds I've had were where I was winging it as I did the build, and didn't particularly care how it came out. And yet, those builds are the ones that give me the greatest grins and are front-and-center in my display case now! :) 

19 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Jeremy, I've been exactly where you're at - and I think you've got the perfect remedy! Some of the most fun builds I've had were where I was winging it as I did the build, and didn't particularly care how it came out. And yet, those builds are the ones that give me the greatest grins and are front-and-center in my display case now! :) 

Hey thanks for the encouragement.  I’m in a place where I need it right now.  Much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

In between other projects, I got this one in primer today.  I don’t see any issues, so I’m calling it ready for paint.

IMG_2811.jpeg.54631221ff3f4f503ed5a812c0482f52.jpeg

Also, I think I have a plan for it now.  I have this old original red-line Hot Wheels that was given to me when I was a kid.  Red-lines were a little before my time, but a friend of my mom’s, had a grocery bag full of originals, still in the packaging.  She gave me three or four, which I immediately took out and played with.  Hey I was just a kid.  Give me a break!😂

So I think this will become sort of a nod to that old Hot Wheels.  Not a full replica.  I’m not going with front engine (although I hope one of you guys does just that sometime!).  
For those not familiar with this car, here’s a pic.  Not mine.  I swiped this image from google.  Mine is buried under a pile of boxes here somewhere.

IMG_2813.jpeg.55fe865745d834ba12723a5814358532.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Got the floor pan finished today.  I shot the rear suspension the same color as the body.  Same with the front suspension (not shown here.  
I also got another coat of clear shot on the body before the rain started.  It’s supposed to let up soon.  I’d like to hit it with one more coat later today.

IMG_2949.jpeg.8ce88ad8558a7eff5d2c60c9bbdcdea5.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg.9128bd85b1e675b9abb469b57ad6231a.jpeg

• Like 2

I think I’m going to strip this one and start again.  I got some pretty bad bubbling in the clear coat in the creases on the passenger side.  I went to heavy with the my last couple of coats.

Yup.  It’s getting stripped tonight.  Rather do this right and be happy with it.  Besides, I need the practice.

Well if there’s one thing I am getting good at this year, it’s stripping paint.

91% isopropyl alcohol is amazing stuff when it comes in contact with Testors extreme lacquer.  This body had about six (admittedly too heavy) coats of paint and clear combined.  Soaked it for about two hours and it scrubbed right off with a toothbrush.  And didn’t touch the primer.

On the bright side, I think I’m single handedly keeping the Testors brand alive!  Or not…

IMG_2957.jpeg.a0e161cc69e2678b0ef9a6e576e68830.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slusher said:

It was looking good are you going back with the same color.

Thanks!  Yup, same color again.  But I think I’ll do some spoon testing and try a different clear coat.  This was Testors Wet Look.  Went on very thick.  I think it would be okay on a body that’s more slab sided, but I had a hard time with this one.

I just want to be sure whatever I use is compatible with the Extreme Lacquer color coats.

3 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Missed this one Jeremy. I'll be following now. 

Sorry about the painting blues brutha. Been there and done that. Looking forward to the recovery efforts.

Thanks Joe.   All a part of the learning process.   It's part of the reason I picked this kit.  I'm not too invested in it.

My plan for most of my current projects it basically to get better at painting, before I move on to stuff I care more about.   I'm getting closer. 

• Like 1

Just now, atomicholiday said:

Thanks Joe.   All a part of the learning process.   It's part of the reason I picked this kit.  I'm not too invested in it.

My plan for most of my current projects it basically to get better at painting, before I move on to stuff I care more about.   I'm getting closer. 

I've done that with military aircraft paint jobs and it helped immensely. I actually took a 5 year break from aircraft to watch and learn while I worked on developing my auto paint skills and that helped alot too. Learned a LOT of tricks in my time away from aircraft. 

• Like 1