Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

1 hour ago, espo said:

The handling after the paint has dried is something I'm concerned about. Installing bumpers and grills can require handling and maybe just using rubber gloves is the answer. Also, if any type of clear sealing spray that may or may not help with the finish appearance and durability. 

That’s why I was wondering if Pledge floor shine (Future) would work to protect the chrome finish and not dull it out after applying.

On 9/2/2023 at 3:34 PM, av405 said:

I just ordered a can from MegaHobby, they have it in stock at a good price. Shipping was only about $5, so I paid around $40 total. We can talk about prices all we want, but this is as cheap as it'll get for this particular product:

https://www.megahobby.com/products/150ml-chrome-spray-revell-germany.html

Out of stock !! lol 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Where are you at, Mike? I think you've said before on the Spotlight board but I don't really remember.

I think I got my answer concerning fragility on the Spotlight Hobbies message board.  Board member Terry I. used Revell Chrom spray on a bare plastic spoon and sprayed Spaztix clear acrylic over it and the finish looks great.  Still shiny with no dulling.

He posted a pic compared to a factory kit chrome bumper and it looks like a 100% match.

Revell Chrome spray with Spaztix clear spray over it (everything sprayed from the can) and it looks just like the kit chrome.  I think this may be the holy grail answer we’ve all been looking for.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mikos said:

I think I got my answer concerning fragility on the Spotlight Hobbies message board.  Board member Terry I. used Revell Chrom spray on a bare plastic spoon and sprayed Spaztix clear acrylic over it and the finish looks great.  Still shiny with no dulling.

He posted a pic compared to a factory kit chrome bumper and it looks like a 100% match.

Revell Chrome spray with Spaztix clear spray over it (everything sprayed from the can) and it looks just like the kit chrome.  I think this may be the holy grail answer we’ve all been looking for.  

I seen that. Asked which spaztix spray he used, there are 2 possible ones.

Today I tried Revell's chrome spray: My brother handed me over a very old built-up 1/9 scale Protar Laverda 750 motorbike with very bad chrome parts where the black plastic was very apparent and asked me if I could repair this no matter how.

This was the perfect object for trying this paint: I actually did NOTHING for preparing the parts (mudguard and both exhaust pipes):

Here is one of the pipes before: P1080264.JPG.27c485bc3ceb83812b5a79aa08619530.JPG

After shaking the can for almost a minute, I sprayed the chrome directly onto the parts going two times over them - this is the result:

P1080265.JPG.e9b1f78fc6551a17e61c42ae3b2fddcc.JPGP1080266.JPG.51c23a78dd1f9620f9c33105dbfa4d1f.JPG

I will let it dry for a few days, then reassemble the bike again.

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1959scudetto said:

Today I tried Revell's chrome spray: My brother handed me over a very old built-up 1/9 scale Protar Laverda 750 motorbike with very bad chrome parts where the black plastic was very apparent and asked me if I could repair this no matter how.

This was the perfect object for trying this paint: I actually did NOTHING for preparing the parts (mudguard and both exhaust pipes):

Here is one of the pipes before: P1080264.JPG.27c485bc3ceb83812b5a79aa08619530.JPG

After shaking the can for almost a minute, I sprayed the chrome directly onto the parts going two times over them - this is the result:

P1080265.JPG.e9b1f78fc6551a17e61c42ae3b2fddcc.JPGP1080266.JPG.51c23a78dd1f9620f9c33105dbfa4d1f.JPG

I will let it dry for a few days, then reassemble the bike again.

I'd give it more then a couple days. At least a week. 

• Like 1

I didn’t read this entire thread, but didn’t see any pics of detailing over the chrome paint. I would like to strip and spray this grill and then black out the recess. I imagine an acrylic paint would be safest. Has anyone done any detailing over the Revell chrome paint?

Thx. Greg.

IMG_8054.jpeg

23 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I didn’t read this entire thread, but didn’t see any pics of detailing over the chrome paint. I would like to strip and spray this grill and then black out the recess. I imagine an acrylic paint would be safest. Has anyone done any detailing over the Revell chrome paint?

Thx. Greg.

IMG_8054.jpeg

I've done some wheels but there's a serious problem.

If you get anything on the spray, it's toast. If you rub it too much, it's toast. 

I understand that you can use the Spazstic clear spray they make for their chrome over it with minimal loss of reflectivity but I don't have any of the stuff to try it out.

I did my wheels by very carefully painting the necessary areas with a find detail brush, carefully not getting any on the places that need to stay chrome.

I think you could do that with your grille.

9 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I've done some wheels but there's a serious problem.

If you get anything on the spray, it's toast. If you rub it too much, it's toast. 

I understand that you can use the Spazstic clear spray they make for their chrome over it with minimal loss of reflectivity but I don't have any of the stuff to try it out.

I did my wheels by very carefully painting the necessary areas with a find detail brush, carefully not getting any on the places that need to stay chrome.

I think you could do that with your grille.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to give it a try I guess. I imagine you used acrylic for the detailing?

2 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Thanks for the reply. I will have to give it a try I guess. I imagine you used acrylic for the detailing?

No, just regular Testors bottle paint. Had to let it dry and go over it a second time though as it streaked some.

In the past I had used Spaz Stix chrome paint (found in a RC parts section of a hobby shop) and handling was an issue. I still have some and would like to try a clear over it, maybe a TS-13 or an acrylic clear like Krylon 1303.

Lately I have been using Duplicolor chrome and I'm fairly happy with it.I did a set of '62 Ford bumpers that had horrid mold lines on them, right over primer.

The last thing I did was some pro-street wheelie bars that I stripped the kit chrome from and cleaned them up. I had initially shot them with TS-14 black gloss over primer (Mr. Hobby) and the paint did not sit well. After an oven cleaner bath, back to square-one. This time, right over the primer and they came out well.

I will look for the Revell chrome, I hope it becomes more available to us.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I received emails from both Hobbylinc and Megahobby that they have it back in stock. I thought Megahobby's shipping was a bit unreasonable, so I just ordered 2 cans from Hobbylinc.

Not to mention it's more than $5 more a can at Megahobby! The advantage of Megahobby is that you get free shipping on orders over $150 (US orders). So, if you order a few kits as well you might come out ok on overall cost.

9 minutes ago, redscampi said:

Not to mention it's more than $5 more a can at Megahobby! The advantage of Megahobby is that you get free shipping on orders over $150 (US orders). So, if you order a few kits as well you might come out ok on overall cost.

True. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing Megahobby, I just wanted to let you guys know that at least two vendors have this back in stock in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1