Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

2 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

now to get Revell to deliver this stuff to the US hobby shops.  Can't find it anywhere. And I'm not paying some schmoe a hunnert bux for the shipping.

Agreed. Is there a US source for this? Or not yet? PM me if you know of one. Thanks!

On 5/22/2023 at 11:14 PM, Dragline said:

The evidence seems fairly clear. It makes parts chrome and in a very scale way. I think durability is only a minor issue, but it is important that it can endure some minor handling and stay as bright as when first shot. Other than the entrance fee it is a promising product.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, espo said:

The finish looks a little more realistic compared to the "kit chrome". 

On both counts, my thoughts exactly.

Charlie Larkin

On 5/22/2023 at 9:59 PM, carsntrucks4you said:

I not a fan of Revell paint products, most of these products a junk. But this chrome spray is very good, except for its price. This gives the best chrome effect in scale modeling. Like the other chrome paints you can't clear coat it and you have to be very careful when you grab the parts. you can rub it of or it dulls when touched.

i agree with the result of the chrome spray.

it is very easy to handle and imo it doesnt matter what base color the plastic has. i tried it on yellow, turquoise, grey, black, "old chrome" to rechrome and so far. 

i'm very pleased, that it is a spraycan for a quick use and a great result.

i also tried different clearcoats to grab it without dulling out, but all clearcoat took the chromlook and the result was silver till grey. the only working layer was pledge - but i will test that again to be sure, the handling or grabbing has no effects on the shine.

for me:

replace for alclad on bumpers - yes. easy handling counts for me.

replace for bmf for chromtrim on the body - no.

replace for alclad for chromtrim on the body or small parts - perhaps.

• Like 1

I tried the Revell Chrome spray today. It looks really good in person (and even better outside in the sun), but I don't think my iPhone camera is doing a great job capturing it. Seems to be very easy to apply. I sprayed it over Sixties-era Revell chrome on this wheel.

IMG_7874.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

I tried the Revell Chrome spray today. It looks really good in person (and even better outside in the sun), but I don't think my iPhone camera is doing a great job capturing it. Seems to be very easy to apply. I sprayed it over Sixties-era Revell chrome on this wheel.

IMG_7874.jpg

That looks REALLY good to me.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JPolli said:

Has anyone tried the Revell Chrome Spray Paint?  If so, how is it?  I understand it is a bit pricey ($35). 

i have not tried mine yet and only paid $29 + the ride.. but what i had seen on the Facebook Groups it was well worth it. that's what sold me.

Well, I guess it's up to me to be the "Debbie Downer". :D

There are numerous "chrome sprays" on the market, and it makes sense that the most prevalent desire is that the finish appears as close to a chrome finish as possible.

I get that.

But in my opinion, the elephant in the room is durability, which is a huge question for all of them.

Being able to lightly handle the part after painting is one thing, but a truly tough finish is the only thing that I'm interested in, and the only factor that will ever get me to go all in on one of these paints.

For my purposes, I need a very durable finish that can withstand not only quite a lot of handling throughout the building process, but a considerable amount of intricate paint detailing which often includes some removal of paint from the surface with things like thinners and light scraping.

None of these chrome paints are capable of withstanding those kinds of rigorous handling.

As far as I'm concerned, technology has some major catching up to do before any of these paints are ever going to be a true, viable, substitute for actual plating.

Believe me, I want it to get to that point, but there's no solution anywhere in sight as far as I can tell.

And to compound the issue, while this paint may look "okay", it's still not perfect facsimile to chrome, and at $35.00 a pop.........forget about it!!

When you can still get parts re-plated with the real stuff for a fairly reasonable price, there's no way on God's green earth that I can see myself settling for something "close", that costs just as much, that I have to refrain from touching in perpetuity.

I'm sorry, but until these paints can produce a finish like the photo below that can still be knocked around somewhat without the fear of ruining the piece with the slightest slip, I'm not much of a fan.

I do use Alclad chrome for some small parts for interiors and engines that require little additional detailing and will never get any substantial handling, but I can't see using this stuff for bumpers, or other large external parts.

All of this of course, is just my opinion. ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

How about, it looks more to scale? 

Everyone has their own opinions on that I guess, but in my opinion, chrome, (if it's supposed to look new or restored) should have a perfect, reflective, mirror like finish.

In other words, you should be able to see a crisp and perfect reflection of yourself in it's surface.

Not just a fuzzy likeness, but you should be able to easily pick out every mole, pimple and errant nose hair.

To my eye, there is no "kind of, sort of".

It either looks like a mirror, or it ain't chrome. ;)

Just my opinion.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1