Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are things that has faded away on modern cars and trucks..

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I love my 2004 P71 Crown Vic for its simplicity. NO asinine buzzers, blinkers, lamps, TPMS, etc. Nice and simple and to the point.

Yessir, one of the best cars ever made, period. Fast, comfortable, great handling for such a big car, and tough. I bought one from the county police after it had a light front end hit some years back, and they auctioned it instead of fixing it. Bought some of their take-out engines too ("broken", but not really). Figgered I could keep the beast running forever. When I left the shop where it was stored, the car and all the engines mysteriously disappeared before I'd been able to move them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

345588423_765500801952751_8491232197129136963_n.jpg

This was for owners that didn't have Roadside Service on their insurance policy. The Jack in the trunk had a hook that also fit a similar slot in the rear bumper for jacking up the car to change a tire, providing the owner knew how that was done.   

5 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

clutch-pedal-vibrations.jpg.1f3e809c3e6adbc2c07746e35fedba7f.jpg

My family are all die-hard stick shift fanatics.   Have you tried to find one lately? We had to special order our last two vehicles. 

Proud papa moment.   Taught my daughter how to drive in my old 5 speed Honda civic (also the same car we brought her home in when she was born). Now she won't drive anything but stick.  Rare breed for a 24 year old. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, espo said:

This was for owners that didn't have Roadside Service on their insurance policy. The Jack in the trunk had a hook that also fit a similar slot in the rear bumper for jacking up the car to change a tire, providing the owner knew how that was done.   

I remember my Dad having cars in the 70s-80s w/ bumper jacks.  I've never used one, used bottle jacks a couple of times in the past though.  But I've had AAA for 20+ years, wouldn't want to change a tire myself on my 5000lb Jeep w/ heavy 20 inch wheels and tires...

1 hour ago, atomicholiday said:

My family are all die-hard stick shift fanatics.   Have you tried to find one lately? We had to special order our last two vehicles. 

Proud papa moment.   Taught my daughter how to drive in my old 5 speed Honda civic (also the same car we brought her home in when she was born). Now she won't drive anything but stick.  Rare breed for a 24 year old. 

My daily ride is a 2012 Subaru Legacy with a 6 speed manual. I live in New York. Closest manual was in Massachusetts. I insisted, so they brought it down to me. AWD & 6 speed = fun, even in a subie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chuckyg1 said:

My daily ride is a 2012 Subaru Legacy with a 6 speed manual. I live in New York. Closest manual was in Massachusetts. I insisted, so they brought it down to me. AWD & 6 speed = fun, even in a subie.

My wife car is a 2018 Impresa sport 5 speed.   Probably the best car we've ever owned.   I want a WRX sti so bad I can taste it! 

13 minutes ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Passenger car bench seats with the arm rest that pulled out from the seatback.

I pity the generations of young men that grew up without ever knowing the joys of cruising with the top down on a crisp fall moonlit night, your girl snuggled up beside you on the bench seat, with the heater blowing on your feet.

Ah, but darn. How on earth could you keep up with your important social-media stuff if you were actually enjoying the intensity of the moment?

Stupid me.  🤓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Not a factory item but….frost shields.🥶

IMG_5992.jpeg

I used the Unity spot light on my '04 'Vic to defrost the windscreen (02/2023) when I was in Prescott. I just aimed it at the wipers/defogger vents' section of the windscreen, and the frost cleared in short order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I pity the generations of young men that grew up without ever knowing the joys of cruising with the top down on a crisp fall moonlit night, your girl snuggled up beside you on the bench seat, with the heater blowing on your feet.

Ah, but darn. How on earth could you keep up with your important social-media stuff if you were actually enjoying the intensity of the moment?

Stupid me.  🤓

Oh, how I've missed bench seats in passenger cars ! First car that I owned with buckets/console was a 1990 Corolla (oh, how I miss that car !), and it bothered me on date night (haha). 

Speaking of bench-equipped convertibles: I'd love to have a 1967-1968 Camaro or Firebird drop-top or 1968-1969 Dart GT/S drop-top with a bench. Your description of those kinds of wonderful memories/situations personifies such a desire.

1 minute ago, 1972coronet said:

I used the Unity spot light on my '04 'Vic to defrost the windscreen (02/2023) when I was in Prescott. I just aimed it at the wipers/defogger vents' section of the windscreen, and the frost cleared in short order.

Cool! I used frost shields the first winter or two on my Willys. Then I discovered that if I just cracked the vent windows slightly the side windows would not frost up.🙂

• Like 2

Power antennas, fender skirts, continentals, loud horns, lap belts, wide white walls, red line tires, dog dish hubcaps, large diameter steering wheels, knee jamming key switch, front fender rocket or wing doodads, killer hood ornaments, if you owned a Jeep -fold down windshield, removable doors, removable top, and buying anything you needed from J.C. Whitney's

greg,

6 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Yet another thing I collect, some of them are old enough to have more useful information, like exploded views of transmissions. 

Yup, some of them are very useful. Not in the league with factory service manuals, which I buy for everything I own, but still a great help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I remember my Dad having cars in the 70s-80s w/ bumper jacks.  I've never used one, used bottle jacks a couple of times in the past though.  But I've had AAA for 20+ years, wouldn't want to change a tire myself on my 5000lb Jeep w/ heavy 20 inch wheels and tires...

Ask me how I know about that chore ...

Came across a young lady a couple of weeks ago standing beside her two year old jeep. Had run over a spike or something. Hardest part was actually getting the wheel to move as the hub/wheel interface is so tight they get welded together from corrosion :wacko:

Edited by mk11