Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are things that has faded away on modern cars and trucks..

6 hours ago, mk11 said:

Ask me how I know about that chore ...

Came across a young lady a couple of weeks ago standing beside her two year old jeep. Had run over a spike or something. Hardest part was actually getting the wheel to move as the hub/wheel interface is so tight they get welded together from corrosion :wacko:

A little anti-seize on the wheel, where it contacts the rotor...problem solved!

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup, some of them are very useful. Not in the league with factory service manuals, which I buy for everything I own, but still a great help.

Even those went the way of the Dodo bird.   My last paper factory service manual was for me 2006 Scion xB.  When wanted one  for my 2019 Kia Soul, it only comes as a huge PDF computer file.  No way I'm printing that monster on my home printer. Besides, while the manual shows everything, it does not show proper disassembly/assembly sequence (and we all know how tricky that can be).  It's half useless.

• Like 2

It use to be that you had a switch/lever for your lights, a separate one for your wipers, or cruise control, or Hazzard lights, ect.

The stupidest thing that manufacturers did was put ALL that stuff on the turn signal lever. ( there was one truck I drove that even had the horn on the lever , as well as all that other stuff ! How are you supposed to hit the horn in an emergency / Stupid idiot situation ? )

If you have an "electrical issue" , replacing all that costs more than a good used car !

• Like 3

On 6/4/2023 at 5:14 AM, Mark said:

A little anti-seize on the wheel, where it contacts the rotor...problem solved!

They need to integrate that little bit of common sense into the factory assembly process... these wheels had never been off the vehicle  :unsure:

Of course, a savvy owner could do that right off the bat; much like spraying something like fluid film over the wheelhouse on a new pickup could save that area from rustout.

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1

The rusted rear wheel openings on newer pickups are in many cases caused by the foam that is put behind the panel by the manufacturer, so you can't feel how thin and tinny the panels are now.  Nope, can't just use a heavier gauge sheet metal...let's just whip some foam in there instead...

• Like 1

Already been mentioned, but definitely manual transmission. Automatics were not common in Europe when I was growing up, but nowadays most cars at dealerships are automatics, and you actually have to pay extra for a special order manual car. Sad times we are living in, soon we won’t drive cars, but cars will drive us.

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Now show these yuppie youngsters and ask what it’s for. LOL!  They’ll be mind blown….

Hmmm..the .'yuppies' were in their 20s-30s in the 1980s, so are now in their 60s-70s.   Maybe the Millennials or Gen-Z kids of today haven't seen old school dimmer switches, though.    

As a Gen Xer, I was exposed to old cars through my Dad and older brother...my '67 Cougar and '69 Mustang (both of which I inherited from my Dad) have the floor dimmer switches, manual windows, manual seats, no steering wheel adjustment, no A/C, manual transmission in the Cougar (and manual brakes and manual steering).   Very basic..not something I'd drive frequently (I'm much too used to loaded modern vehicles), but fun on a weekend drive occasionally...

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not being able to change headlight or taillight bulbs ,now you have to change the whole assembly. So instead of being a ten dollar fix now you have to spends hundreds of dollars.

Sure,  and instead of those old, crappy, dim incandescent, or even halogen lights, now you have super bright (and totally blinding oncoming drivers) LED headlights.  I really don't like driving at night anymore.  Those lights also have very sharp beam cutoff, so when cars travel uneven road, they look like they flashing their hi-beams at you (from blinding to super-blinding).  Why don't they have better defined headlight standards in this country?  Back in the day (of sealed beam headlights) we did, but that also went the way of those Dodo birds.  it is a free-for-all.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2023 at 7:05 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

Lol, don't throw it away, I might use it. 20230603_200235.thumb.jpg.656c6e0162d36e5fe37248a8bd992087.jpg

My dad had me knowing haw to use the bumper Jack and changing tires at 10, and changing oil. When we received a car with a screw Jack I really didn’t like it..

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not being able to change headlight or taillight bulbs ,now you have to change the whole assembly. So instead of being a ten dollar fix now you have to spends hundreds of dollars.

Having to remove the whole front fascia to change bulbs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slusher said:

My dad had me knowing haw to use the bumper Jack and changing tires at 10, and changing oil. When we received a car with a screw Jack I really didn’t like it..

I don't like most factory jacks, but they're better than no jack. :D

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What's the most obvious thing that's faded away? 

Actual men to drive 'em.

Okay Boomer.   😄

Old folks in the 1960s and '70s had plenty of contempt for long-haired scruffy-looking young men who also dressed funny.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I don't like most factory jacks, but they're better than no jack. :D

One of my cars got so rusty I had no jacking points left (rocker panels), so it didn't even matter that the screw jack had rusted solid.  🙂

Come to think of it, I haven't even needed to use a jack in years.

6 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Okay Boomer.   😄

Old folks in the 1960s and '70s had plenty of contempt for long-haired scruffy-looking young men who also dressed funny.

So did I at the time.  B)

And "okay Boomer" is so clever, it just never gets old. Did you make that up yourself? 🥕

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Okay Boomer.   😄

Yeah, the squares back then always had something to complain about.  They still do.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

the main thing missing is individual, unique, styling, now you can't tell one car from another with out scanning the barcode.... 

I can usually identify the model without looking at the badging, but years are pretty much impossible since the demise of annual styling changes 40+ years ago.