Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roam Sweet Home: a scratchbuilt fold-away camping cabin on a Chevy S10

HI!

Once in a while, I like to get out of my usual subjects (pro-Touring, street-rods, Bonneville cars) to scratch-built something different. Last fall, I saw a nice Westfalia camping van built by a young man at a model show in Montreal, and it got me remembering a 1/1 '66 Chevy van I converted to a camper in the 70's. So...

I took an AMT Chevy S10 X-treme pick-up, modified it, and straddled the box with a totally scratchbuilt "fold-away" camping cabin of my own design. Look closely, and you'll see all the composite panels can pivot, slide-out and pop-up in position to allow 4 adults to sleep in dry comfort on a wide flat floor, and still be able to use the PU box to carry stuff concealed from view, and the weather. In the morning, you just climb down the ladder, stack the mattresses, tilt and slide-in the side extensions, flip-up the front and rear walls (with window and door) inside the roof, and lower the roof/cap to seal it all. Ready to go, with minimal wind drag behind the PU cabin. Unless you load the roof rack with bulky objects, but you know...

While at it, I made a custom "base" to recreate camping life around the charcoal BBQ.

How would you like your steak?

Hours of fun with styrene...

CT

DSC01835 (2).JPG

DSC01836 (2).JPG

DSC01837 (2).JPG

DSC01839 (2).JPG

DSC01842 (2).JPG

DSC01844 (2).JPG

DSC01845 (2).JPG

DSC01847 (2).JPG

DSC01848 (2).JPG

DSC01849 (2).JPG

DSC01851 (2).JPG

• Like 9

Medium rare thanks Claude. What an awsome modern take on an older style camper, and improved to a fold away wind resistant cabin. As always your work has put a smile on my face.😊 Well done and thanks for posting.

Cheers.

David. 😎👍

Like my steaks on the rare side, just short of needing a tourniquet. The S-10 it's self looks great with the stance and all the body panels added. The Camper portion is so realistic looking and well-engineered, even the little ladder to get into the back.  

7 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Medium rare thanks Claude. What an awsome modern take on an older style camper, and improved to a fold away wind resistant cabin. As always your work has put a smile on my face.😊 Well done and thanks for posting.

Cheers.

David. 😎👍

Hi David! Thank you so much for the comments. Happy to make you smile. 

At the beginning, I wanted to make one side of the camper "folded-out" (as on the pics), and the other only partially open, or "in process" if you will. But the logistics of having everything mid-way was too much for my old eyes. Next time maybe... LOL. 

CT

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 1:46 PM, espo said:

Like my steaks on the rare side, just short of needing a tourniquet. The S-10 it's self looks great with the stance and all the body panels added. The Camper portion is so realistic looking and well-engineered, even the little ladder to get into the back.  

Hi David! 

Since I converted a 66 Chevy-van into a "westfalia-type" camper in the early 70's, I knew my way about making the most of a small space! LOL

CT

• Like 1