Model Cars Magazine Forum

Likely a very long-term project..... Building a Coyote X

JollySipper

So, this is THE hero car for me! The Coyote X from Hardcastle & McCormick....... The only kit that was made of this car isn't very good. They got the body pretty close, but the rest of the kit was leftovers from another car entirely. My goal with this project is to build this car on a VW bug chassis, like the actual car was...... Today began my adventure when the Beetle kit arrived. First off was to see how close the wheel base would be to lining up between the two kits.... The Coyote wheel base measured out to 9.5cm, where the pan has a wheel base of 10cm..... I just cut the front suspension mount from the front bulkhead, removed .5cm of material, then reattached the front axle...... Here's some pics to show what I have going on....

This pic is just showing the size of the pan. This is after I removed the 1/2 cm from the front......

SDC10597.JPG.749dd28863eabff72d5df11be4200a63.JPG

This pic shows ( though not very clearly, sorry... ) that the wheel bases now match.

SDC10600.JPG.57ae2cbcc5c84046ef1551e237079203.JPG

The one thing that bugged me the most about this kit was the very undersized wheel and tire combo. On the real car, the wheels almost have a presence of their own! I was lucky in having some wheel backs from another kit. I removed the web from the center of the wheel backs and just used them as sleeves. Now the wheels ( these are for the rear ) are both deeper and a larger diameter......

SDC10602.JPG.f04090f01565b55bc154cc88712da9dc.JPG

SDC10596.JPG.9e30a166a7a4cbdf24a11155c39e2037.JPG

Next thing I guess I need to figure out will be the track width! Then I can start trying to adapt the Coyote parts to the VW pan........

Anyways, here's what is on my bench at the moment! I'm sure I'll be having a bunch of questions as I go, so you all keep an eye on this, maybe you can offer some help!

• Like 8

Thanks, Guys! The more I study the parts and assemblies, the bigger this undertaking seems to be..... It will most definitely be worth it in the end, though!  :D

The track width seems fine for the rear. I wanted the tires to just barely bulge out from under the fender, and with the backs that I cobbled together, that's how it turned out! I'm waiting for some wheel backs to arrive in the mail so I can sleeve the front wheels and get their track figured out........

SDC10604.JPG.2a340d911b403828ac4e4b3489305761.JPG

SDC10606.JPG.f34225fcbe59744f3371e43f78221c5a.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks a bunch for your interest, guys! Right not I'm trying to figure out where to mount the side tanks on the bug's pan so the wheel bases will line up........

6 hours ago, beeRS said:

Will you be doing the engine stock from the Beetle kit?

That's most likely what I'll do! I thought of maybe using a 914-6 engine, but that may be too long to fit under the rear bonnet..........

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little progress to show, it's just the engine. I would have liked to add dual carbs and such, just don't have those parts....

SDC10615.JPG.e266bd77dd8008749e8de0530b7c598b.JPG

SDC10624.JPG.d0017278e55cc6154291cf2317043de2.JPG

Now I have kind of a dilemma with the tires I had picked for this build. Seems the rears that I settled on are made by Testors, and apparently are known to shrink and crack....... So I've got an ad in the wanted section looking for a set of tires. If anyone could help..........

Thanks for the update, am following your work closely. Have all the body parts, Volkswagen chassis, engine, wheels and tires to try and copy your build. Wondered how to mate the VW chassis to the side tanks.

1073987.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

1 hour ago, magicmustang said:

Thanks for the update, am following your work closely. Have all the body parts, Volkswagen chassis, engine, wheels and tires to try and copy your build. Wondered how to mate the VW chassis to the side tanks.

1073987.jpg

what type of glue are you using? lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Can I see pics of your wheel and tire setup? Just wondering which rims you used........

I found these in the spare parts box, I don't know what kit they are from. I'm thinking maybe a Lamborghini Countach kit

coyote wheels.JPG

Edited by magicmustang

What do you guys think of this? I call it 'Volk SWAGGIN'..........

SDC10630.JPG.a05c90e4ed60dd6c659282942cfb3a80.JPG

LoL!

Actually, I just wanted to post that if anyone needs anything pertaining to the VW body, I'll gladly trade whatever you may need for some tires for this project.

Still haven't found a decent set of tires that won't rot on me..........

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Carl, I'm needing four rear tires from either the AMT Phantom Vicky, or the AMT Prowler......

I can get you the tires, no problem. I am just wondering, why four? If you have the idea to use them at the front too, they would just not look right IMO. 

That's more for simplicity sake..... easier to ask for than four tires with the two rears being wider but the same profile as the front........ That's kinda what the reference pics I've seen have going on. The rears are wider, but the profile of all four is the same.........

coyotexx.jpg.c375e0c8d889d9eb1e2463950223c619.jpg

If it's cool, I'll send you a PM!

• Like 1