Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

galaxyg

Background:

Here's one Ferrari that doesn't look so great in red. It's one big, elegant, beautiful grand tourer but I can't think of another car where the choice of colours and wheels make such a difference to it. Wrong choices and it just looks big, bland and possibly ill proportioned, and I've always dismissed it as a result. Right choices and it looks like something a whole lot better and the sense of the car's styling shines through. I chose to make a two-tone car a little like the Sessanto versions and change the wheels too. I also got a photo-etch pack from Hobby Design. The overall level of effort, detail, Revell-isms, PE and the bespoke mask-making make this number 2 on my planned "5 challenge builds" for 2023.

Pros:

A huge amount of detail, a well detailed engine and very tidy interior. Lots of hidden details too mean that if you build this kit, you'll have a good idea of how a real 612 Scaglietti is under the skin. It's a nice strong, tough model even before assembly. The front and rear windscreen fitment is from the outside and a very good solution. Overall proportions look good. Most of it fits together easily.

Cons:

The supplied wheels and tyres are horrible, and look out of proportion. The tyres are also a bit plasticky and the wheels are chromed - and the entire chrome sprue is horrible. The brakes are weak with flat, almost 2D calipers. The body doesn't fit perfectly onto the chassis, there's no positive mounting and little scope to glue either: this is a typical Revell problem. The bonnet doesn't perfectly close without something to hold it down. (Blu-tack in my instance). More than 50% of the kit is moulded in red and it's a horrible colour to cover. Red engine, red seats, etc. Some of the parts fitment is a little vague and/or small contact areas for the glue. The instruction sheet has some omissions and errors in part numbers. Revell's flappy-end box is annoying.

Verdict:

Mostly good, it's a nicely detailed model with overall decent fit, the worst parts are the tyres and wheels and they are better if just replaced. Built as-it-comes and it'll be fine. With changes and extra detail it's very very nice indeed.

Build notes:

Built over the course of about 4 weeks in May/June 2023. I've changed the wheels, tyres and brakes for those from a Fujimi F430 kit, and they improve the appearance a lot. It's painted in Tamiya Metallic Black and Tamiya Light Gun Metal, with a Tamiya AS-22 Dark Earth interior. There are many photo-etch additions from the Hobby Design set, most of which are on the interior however the one that makes the most improvement is the replacement front grille. The hub-centre emblems and front and side emblems are 3rd party, and the rear Ferrari horse is Tamiya. The number plates custom printed. The 50-MH-23 number plate is specific for this build using Portugal plates as they fit the format of the build's significance: 50 - the age I will be 2 days after completing this. MH, my initials. 23 - the current year. As a 50th birthday present to myself, I am very happy with this build. It's certainly going to be one of my 3 best/favourite of 2023, and it'll stay in prime display position for quite a long time. I have a new and strong appreciation for the 612 Scaglietti now - and as such there are a few more photos than usual.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

Very nicely done Michael. It looks much better with those wheels/tyres. A very clean build and great photography.
Indeed, your comments about the styling of the Scaglietti are spot on. It’s a big car, and needs the correct colour. Your choice of two-tone black & grey really works well.

Thanks for sharing your build notes too - it’s valuable information for other builders. 

• Thanks 1

I'm fortunate to own and drive a 2006 612 Scaglietti, in Grigio Titanio. The Revell model is incredibly accurate in many ways that the casual observer wouldn't ever notice. They really did their research when designing this kit. It's too bad the chrome parts are such a letdown.  Your model is an amazing representation of the real thing...well done! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent model, Michael - looks superb in those colors! This shows to its best advantage that not every Ferrari has to be red - even if some modeling companies think so, obviously.

I sold mine because of the massive, unelegant looking body and the bad chrome grill and wheels. I should have kept it though mine was molded in white (first issue) so painting would have been much easier.

P1070659.JPG.6fae7406524cb2fdc31d3571b512c5be.JPG

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Thanks 1

Many are annoyed with RED on any Ferrari, way to common, I like your alternative that accentuates the side scallop (is that what it's called, the early Corvettes had a similar feature). The p-e grill alone is worth the trouble.

I have this kit in the traditional shape box (2005 issue), it's packed!  Had plans to kit bash with the FPPModelos 410 SA Ghia 1956.

• Thanks 1

Great job! I like that you did the two-tone exterior, and such a clean build! I really enjoyed building these back in the day, despite their issues as you pointed out. I used the Lion Roar photo etch set, which had a photo etch grill more in scale. I actually have two more to build with the pano roof (I already vacuum formed it).

DSC00009 (2).jpeg

• Thanks 1