Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Ford Speedster

Brianl

It's hard to do something different with something as iconic as the '49 but with a little cutting and shutting I think this would have been a fun runabout. Going to finish it with a period flathead and stock trim to make it look like a production model of the time. Body shortened by 560mm (that's about 22" in old English). Body chop was 65mm (2.5") at the front wheel arch and 130mm (5") at the rear to give the body a little rake and remove some of the bulk.

Brian

20230626_161459.thumb.jpg.bd508faabcb27ee1fb517f7eb9e004e2.jpg20230628_100158.thumb.jpg.21742034748048dba7fc34ca54de8178.jpg20230708_213642.thumb.jpg.f9b7fa77c235c8ea4b051e5c0a20ed0d.jpg20230709_203027.thumb.jpg.0ffee26da1953d87205df1e536d3b995.jpg

• Like 11

The first Thunderbird.  This body is a natural for sectioning. Shortening is genius. I'm following, for sure. Is there a plan to remove those tail light fairings? The wedge cut left them not parallel with the trim. 

Edited by customline

1 hour ago, Chuckyg1 said:

The color os perfect. Awesome work. Far & beyond anything I'm capable of, (so far.) With the bumper in place, the front looks "heavy" to me.

I agree, maybe a thinner, lighter looking bumper without guards. 

• Like 1

After reviewing the sectioning I see the sectioning did not involve the area ahead of the front wheel and that may have caused the issue. Maybe the elimination of the splash pan and a different bumper would help. It may also help to raise the stance a bit. The color is super! Shortening the tail light fairings was a good idea, Brian.  I really like the concept and I would love to try something like this myself. Actually, the '50 ragtop is a really good candidate for this- the kit includes a chopped windshield a ton of cool custom body parts.

Okay

Theme was to make it look like it came off the Ford production line so I wanted to keep the trim and features looking stock. Only variation was the metalic paint and the hub caps. I looked up the colour charts for '49 and they did a couple of metalics but not light blue. The light blue suited it though. Hubcaps just looked right too. The photos exaggerate the bulk a little and it's all just sitting on the ground as a mockup so it will be tighter when glued. Also I have blacked out the background of the grill which reduces the bulk as well. I would have liked to drop the over riders on the bumpers but couldn't find anything appropriate in my stash. The ribbed bars from the mercury are too wide and the ribs didn't suit the style. It will sit lower than stock but not on the ground. Detailing the engine at the moment which will be stock.

Thanks for the interest. Have a good one.

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jaftygas said:

Oops sorry I thought this was Charlie’s build. Brianl that is a sweet build and idea, not to mention how well you pulled it off!

You do know that you can edit, right Joe?  Three little dots in the upper right. 🙂

Edited by customline
Adding "Joe".....see?