Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy Nomad

Zippi

On the real 55 chassis you can move the spring perches ( parts you circled ) inside the frame rails by swapping sides . Driver side goes inside passenger side etc . That will free up the space the springs take up in the fender well completely . Just carefully saw them off and move them , or rebuild them from scratch .

Edited by oldnslow
  • Like 1

In think I have the front end ride height set.  I have the King pins set at the highest location that drops the front end to where I needed it.  All I had to do is install some inserts in the wheels and I'm good to go.  I'm not sure if I like the ride height or not.   

20230717_112941.jpg

20230717_121425.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 2

Well....this just turned into a big headache.  Either the interior tube is way out of wack or the dash is wrong.  If I pinch the interior tube together to get the dash to fit the door panels are WAY to far away from the body.  At this point I'm at a stand still because I have nothing to work with.   

20230717_151135.jpg

13 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I like the ride height! Good stance! I didn’t have that issue with my Nomad build, I ha another dash if you want to try it, it’s out of an older issue. 

Thanks Roger.  l would like to see another one just to see what is going on.  

7 hours ago, slusher said:

I don’t remember the fit being that bad on the dash but I see the picture. I do agree with Bob..

Thanks Carl.  I think I need to stop buying these new releases of the old kits that are from the 60's.  The tooling is totally shot.  I guess I could use the chassis from the 67 Chevelle Pro Street and put some big ole meats on the back.  

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 1

Ok fellows....I got out in the garage this morning with a game plan.  I pinched the interior tub together, wrapped tape around it, and glued the dash on.  I installed the glass and fit the body, chassis, and interior tub together.  All three parts seem to merry together fairly good but looking through the windshield the dash is way out of location and setting at an angle.  I'm going to let the glue set up on the dash and once I pull the tape off I'll trial fit it again.  I then turned my attention to the tailgate.  I think I have it operating pretty nice in the dry fit state. We all know that once we apply paint things change.      

20230718_093324.jpg

20230718_094102.jpg

20230718_094112.jpg

20230718_091342.jpg

20230718_091355.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, espo said:

Wow, that's a really big gap between the dash and the lower window molding. Do you have an old AMT '55 two-door post model in your stash? Maybe try that dash and see if it fits better. 

I'm thinking If I sand it down some and then when it's painted the dark Maroon color it won't be so noticeable.

Edited by Zippi

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Sorry Buddy that I didn't look in on this one earlier.  Coming along verrrry nicely.  Your skill and modification level has greatly improved since we first started communicating.

Gonna be a great looking model.👍

Thanks Buddy.  Like my granddaddy use to say, hope for the best and expect the worst.

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I’ll follow along to see what happens with this one Bob. I have a couple Nomads on the shelf so I can use the tips.👍

Well, I'm hoping for a good outcome on this one.

Mystery solved on the gap between the dash and windshield opening.  Don't know how I missed it but there was some excise material at the bottom of the windshield opening on the passengers side.  Just a little sanding and it looks much better.    

20230719_091751.jpg

20230719_094929.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 2