Model Cars Magazine Forum

Washi tape for seats . . .

I'm working on a Moebius Ford pickup and decided to try some Washi tape from Hobby Lobby.

I wanted the seat to match some I have seen in real life and this one fits the bill. The truck is two tone white and blue.

Cut to fit and apply over a clean seat. Cover with Mod Podge to keep it down.

Going to try something more complex soon.

IMG_3057.jpeg

Edited by Glassparman
Spelling
  • Like 4

Washi is a type of Japanese paper. It is the same paper that is used to make Tamiya masking tape. Basically it is very thin paper with an adhesive backing. Your results look great. I have lots of rolls, but never thought to use it as an upholstery substitute. Thanks for this great idea.

• Like 2

I’ve played with this technique too 2 you’re right, there’s some cool patterned Washi tapes out there.

Some things I learned from my experiments - first, Washi tape is somewhat translucent, and is affected by the base color underneath.  If you stick bright red Washi tape over black you’ll get burgundy, most likely.

Second up, due to it’s thickness, it doesn’t lay down very well into something like, for example, a tuck ‘n’ roll pattern.  Works ok for flat stuff tho, like the example above.

I didn’t like the somewhat glossy finish of the stuff I tried - it looked like, well, tape…but light mists of a satin clear worked ok on it, in my experience 

• Like 1

Here in the UK Washi masking tape could be bought in Wilkos. It was a red colour when sold named Washi masking tape in the store. Wilko has now renamed it I think Paper masking tape and is now a very light beige colour. Same stuff. Different colour. A lot less expensive than Tamiya tape if you are prepared to cut it into strips.

I use a flat piece of glass from a security lamp to stick the tape down to and use a scalpel and steel engineers rule to cut into the strip widths I want.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, Chuckyg1 said:

Someone fairly recently posted a Merc woody and used the tape for the wood panels. Looked very good.

That was me!  :)  The wood panels came out well.  I worked it down like foil and it came out great.  I'm interested in picking up some different patterns for interiors.  :)

8 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

That was me!  :)  The wood panels came out well.  I worked it down like foil and it came out great.  I'm interested in picking up some different patterns for interiors.  :)

It does look great! Well done.👍

IMG_6598.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

Greg that houndstooth pattern looks great in that Jeep pickup!

Also in your Ford pickup, a very good tip but where can I find Washi tape in Winnipeg?

you can get packs of 20 assorted rolls on amazon for less than 5 bucks including shipping