Model Cars Magazine Forum

I’ve settled on the build direction for the 356A.

I’m a fan of the Porsche lightweights.  I have already built Gerald Larrousse’s 911S/T (the lightest production 911 ever built) DSCN1280.JPG

and I have (nearly) completed a C4 Lightweight. 

DSCN5853

To add to my collection I will be building the 356A Carrera GT.  It will take a little kit bashing and a little more scratch building but I am working out the details.  History of the Carrera GT for those that might be interested.

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

• The GT used Speedster seats (although the Speedster had a steel frame the GT's are made of aluminum) so I robbed them from my Speedster kit (ouch!)
  • Opened the slots in the seat backs
  • The 1500GS kit does provide a Nardi steering wheel, its dished in lieu of flat but it will do
  • Removed the radio detail, GT's had no radio

DSCN9378

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

• Fabricated are more accurate roll bar, my previous effort was not correct for the GT
  • The small floor mounted item ahead of the shifter are the heater controls (part C50) - made a plate to cover the opening in the tunnel, no heater in the GT
  • extended the front inner wheel well panels to close the gaps

DSCN9386DSCN9385Porsche 356A 1500GS Carrera Coupe (Model Car) Assembly guide1

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

The GT ran a dry sump with an external oil tank mounted inside a protective box behind the driver side rear wheel.

1956-porsche-rhd-356-t1-a (2)1956-porsche-rhd-356-t1-a (1)

I fabricated the box (not perforated though) as well as the inner engine bay panels.

DSCN9388DSCN9391

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

I just started following this WIP and am really impressed with the methodical dry-fitting and adjustments that you are doing on these builds. I have built two of these excellent 356 kits and followed the instruction assembly/ bonding sequence to the letter on the first build (the B/C Coupe) which resulted in significant alignment/ fit issues at the engine-transmission - rear suspension - chassis assembly. On the second build (the B 1600S Roadster), I pre-bonded the engine and transmission before installing it into the chassis which made it much easier to assemble everything with a minimum of alignment issues. Hopefully you’ll avoid these headaches on your builds.

Edited by papajohn97
Corrected content

1 hour ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Are you doing the Swedish Ice Racer by any chance? This particular car was painted in Aquamarine and ran on spiked tires. It was also owned by Jerry Seinfeld in the early 1990s and he recently sold the car. 

No ice racer Maxx. :)  Aqua Marine is a nice color but would be difficult to match

1956 Porsche 356A Coupe (Three owner original survivor with 49,000 miles) -  Road Scholars - Vintage Porsche Sales and Restoration

Edited by afx

Surprisingly Fujimi did not detail the top of the air cleaners which are very prominent in the engine bay. 

• Made a top plate from flat stock to cover sink marks in the parts
  • Added bolt detail

DSCN9412

Edited by afx
  • Like 2