Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm pretty familiar with the Fujimi's 911 kit but have yet to take on a 356 build. Externally they bare a family resemblance, under the skin the cars are very different and that is represented in the kits.  Haven't settled on which car or even what type I will build but I will share the journey, stay tuned. 

Edited by afx

Appreciate the interest gentlemen.

Fujimi offers a 356 Convertible but I don't have that in the stash.  I do have:

• 356A Speedster - black body
  • 356A Coupe - center
  • 356B/C Coupe - left

DSCN9266DSCN9263

Some of the distinguishing features that identify a 356A from a 356B/C

• peaked nose in the font valance
  • smaller hood and engine cover, different shape as well
  • smaller glass openings in the greenhouse

There is very little outwardly difference between a 356B and a 356C, that's why Fujimi offered the kit as a B/C

356A Speedster:

DSCN9254

356A Coupe:

DSCN9257

356B/C Coupe:

DSCN9259

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

The only thing about the Fujimi 356 kits is they only offer the 4-cam Carrera engine - which is cool but no matter if it is an A, B or C variant those cars are very rare and won't let you build the more common 1600cc pushrod engine without the large fan shroud

the blackboxstl engine could be a good start for a 356 pushrod engine. it already has the correct shape fan housing and twin carbs. the fan housing is one of the add ons for the base engine by blackboxstl

Edited by stitchdup

Both the 356 and the 911 are unibody construction.  On the 911 the chassis pan, boot and engine bay are all painted body color, on the 356 these areas are all black so I made the decision to build up the chassis and paint it as an assembly - hope that works out.:)

DSCN9245

The kit's front inner fenders leave significant gaps - I fabricated additional panels and added material to help close these gaps.

DSCN9244

I test fit fastidiously and need the chassis pan to be locked into position. To achieve this I added a cleat along the sill inside the body.

DSCN9248

And an alignment pin (made form a bit of wire) in the chassis pan.

DSCN9241

Locked in horizontally and vertically.

DSCN9261

Edited by afx
  • Like 3

Note in the photo above I also I modified the rear torsion bar tube so that it can be installed in the chassis (as Porsche did) prior to installing the rear suspension.

I also blended in the jack points to remove the kit seam.

Edited by afx

10 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Gotta follow this, and i'll probably end up copying your mods when i build my outlaw

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Nice start JC!👍 I’ll be taking notes.🙂

Hope the information helps.

Fujimi offered the 1500GS, 1600GS and 2000GS engines.  I don't have the 1600GS but the only difference I noticed (in kit form) between the 1500 and the 2000 was the exhaust system.

DSCN9268

Edited by afx

While I am at this I thought I would build up the 356A chassis as well.  To Fujimi's credit they have include different parts to represent the difference in the chassis.  The transmission mount on the torsion bar tube is different as well as you will see once I have it installed on the A chassis.

356A

DSCN9277 

356B

DSCN9261

The 356A hood is molded paper thin, out of the box the nose of the hood stuck up in the air.  I was able to gently bend it to make the curve fit but was not confident it would retain the correct shape, in addition the fit was sloppy.

DSCN9273

I hade a spare 356B hood from a kit the US Mail managed to crush the body on.  Surprisingly with a little reshaping I was able to make the B hood to fit the A body.

DSCN9275

Edited by afx