Model Cars Magazine Forum

Winged Express

Starting up a new one - MPC's iconic Winged Express altered.

Here's a mock-up of the basics as provided by the kit:

408 Winged Express stock

Which - after reading up a little on the history of the car - I came to realize represents the second chassis, built after the first one was crashed and wrecked. I decided the first one is the one I want to build, but without going completely overboard (I want to  finish it this decade) and scratchbuilding the entire chassis. So after some modifications, I'm at this stage:

417 Winged Express

Not necessarily a 100% accurate early Winged Express - the chassis is probably closer to the later recreation - but something that I hope will capture the look of the car.  Front section of the frame is from the Attempt 1 kit, front leaf spring, steering arm, and rear end are from the Miss Deal kit, spring perch is scratchbuilt; aluminum tubing used for the new roll bar and braces. I'll be raiding some parts kits and using some aftermarket items as I go along. Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress. Shortened the chassis another 4mm, replaced the rear frame bars behind the driver, added side panels, wing mounts, engine mounts, and a fuel tank mount:

421WingedExpressWiP-vi.jpg.9dadeb1cc2b88b606deb05ed4a204ec3.jpg

With the engine block and grille shell in place:

423WingedExpressWiP-vi.jpg.b6cfc9ab704ecc9ed1b38c307e224411.jpg

Grille shell is from the Revell Tweedy Pie 2 kit. Almost time to get some primer on this and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

Roughing in some smaller details:

1. Push bar mount. It gets a vertical roller later.

431WingedExpresspushbarmount-vi.jpg.7d56421d89674b836e333912f71b21de.jpg

2. Steering box - modified from the kit piece - and the distinctive cut-away steering wheel. I used the wheel from the AMT '57 Ford, which was the closest thing I could find on the shelf here.

434WingedExpresssteering-vi.jpg.bd26e3f6e1beec7db20d29485d90cc3e.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Setting to work on the pinstriping. I'll be using 1/32" Chartpak tape cut in half, which is probably not quite to scale, but about the thinnest I think I can feasibly work with. First, made a chart of the striping with approximate lengths:

451WingedExpressWiPcharttape-vi.jpg.12fdfcd9c843368da16d3b76428e9146.jpg

I did the striping on top of the cowl first:

453WingedExpressWiP-vi.jpg.5b36a70972b147d7856ff12204cdb882.jpg

I think I can pull this off! After I get the striping done I'll lay a good coat of clear on it to stick it all down and even it out a little. Inside of the body will get painted semi-gloss black later.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, 

This is AMAZING work! :blink::wub:

I built a model of this car back around 1970. I had to draw my own chassis plans, and scratchbuild or modify everything on it, including the wing. One thing I discovered in doing the research at the time was that the car changed in appearance constantly, so I had to pick a couple of photos to stay with. I also had to hand-paint most of the decals--IIRC, there are only 4 "real" decals on each side. 

It's pretty crude by today's standards, but I'm still proud of the thing. It was one of the last model cars I built before I went back to model airplanes. I'm sure yours will turn out much better. Model on! 

image.png.6d33f592b776c3d302fbfeaff3045bc7.png

image.png.e1021b3470d49a61c82095556a2aa608.png

• Like 2

Thanks, Snake!

That's a pretty nice replica, especially for one built that far back. At least I have the advantage of being able to start with the MPC kit and the Slixx decals. Like you say, the car changed from race to race - it's a little different in every photo I've found, but at least it's well documented. I'm aiming for kind of an "amalgamation version".

I'm getting a bunch of smaller engine and chassis parts ready for painting and then things should start going together.

Thanks Steve! 

The MPC kit is definitely the second car, and I've never seen a pic of the real one where it had a wing like the kit. I've bought a couple copies of the kit over the years, and hope to eventually build one. But I'll have to scratch up a more accurate wing. 

Actually, couple years ago, I got the idea of building a simpler, early version of the #1 car, when it was the Harrell-Borsch-Muse car, pre-wing and pre-lettering. I THINK I can do it using an AMT Double Dragster frame and other commonly available (nowadays) parts. I realize it won't be an exact replica, more of a "tribute" kind of thing. 

Harrell Engines and Racing Equipment product

• Like 1

Here's shot of the second car that pretty much resembles what the kit gives you:

Wildwilliewingedexpresshasarm-vi.jpg.feb2315c2e07238278439c699f29515f.jpg

It would be fun to build a really early pre-wing version of the car. It's all fairly simple and out there to see, plus there's a good amount of reference available, especially for a car that doesn't exist any more. And who's gonna say you got it wrong?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...