Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos JR Models IndyCar

Fabrux

Well, I hate to be negative about a kit I want, but Salvino's has a game and they are doing it again.  It's not my primary interest or scale but I was hoping to get one.  But, not without both speedway and road course aero packages and wet tires and slicks.  If they are consistent with their past, it looks like this will be a starter kit and those features and detail will come later. i was hoping everything would be there from the get-go.  Hopefully it's just premature thinking on my part.

• Like 1

For $80, its a hard pass, I have no interest in Open wheel, so I would of just been getting for my world famous unboxing videos, lol but I am not famous enough for it cover the cost of the kit. 

I......think like all SJR kits, it will be cheaper if you buy it from someone other than their webstore , I get the Nextgen kits for about $18 less than the price they list on their website.

48 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Teresa holds what is left of DEI (shop is still 100% intact and kinda spooky) BUT I'd hope that Dale Jr and Kelly have SOME pull on the matter. I know they do not have a good relationship.....but come on.......Dale Jr should have a say is Sr estate. 

I strongly suspect he does not. It's all Teresa. It's a strange situation of course, because she is not his mother (and she has her daughter with Dale) and they had the acrimonious falling out causing Jr to leave DEI. I believe she is 100% the owner of DEI and he has JRM now and other business interests. I'd be shocked if they had any communication at all. When Kerry was on the Dale Jr Download show both men talked about it and seemed to indicate neither had any relationship or communication with her.

In any case, I suspect the upcoming RCR #3 kits will sell quite well, even at that price. Having Carto-quality decals will be a big plus.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

6 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

I strongly suspect he does not. It's all Teresa. It's a strange situation of course, because she is not his mother (and she has her daughter with Dale) and they had the acrimonious falling out causing Jr to leave DEI. I believe she is 100% the owner of DEI and he has JRM now and other business interests. I'd be shocked if they had any communication at all. When Kerry was on the Dale Jr Download show both men talked about it and seemed to indicate neither had any relationship or communication with her.

In any case, I suspect the upcoming RCR #3 kits will sell quite well, even at that price. Having Carto-quality decals will be a big plus.

This is correct, Jr and Kelly have zero say or pull, Dale has said he personal items within the DEI building that she won't let him get, he's spoken about it briefly on his Podcast/videos.

Unless something completely falls apart I'd expect this "RCR #3" kit to be the only one released without his name attached. With name rights and their kit lineup they can do a plethora of offerings from his rookie Dodge Charger up through at least the Lumina years. 

There was an entire scheduling conflict with Italian summer holidays (Cartograf) that went alongside the negotiations with DEI for the naming rights and a decision was made to proceed with the kit as is and no-named to not throw the entire 3rd & 4th Quarter Historic line up into discombobulation.  Those Historic kits are what the Club gets as their "Kit of the Month" and have to be pre-planned in advance so that the decal runs match up with the production schedules.

As for the pricing, keep in mind that the SJR website is selling at full retail MSRP. I'd expect the IndyCars to be in the mid $60s on the shelf (presuming the usual 20% below MSRP most places price their kits at).

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think that 120th is the right choice as it can be displayed with all of the Tamiya 1/20th scale kits. 

Besides no matter what they do somebody is going to complain . However I think their research showed this is the right direction to go in.

On the Salvinos pod cast they said 1/20 was ch0oosen to cater to the international market were 1/20 open wheel kits are big. 

They also feel the $80 per kit is cheap on the international market. SO...........................

Just my preference but I'd much rather see some of the Indy roadsters released, I think that they would have a lot of interest and there are a lot that could be done with just a minor swap in a parts tree and different decals. There are also some that can be called or considered oddities like the Smokey Yunick "pod" car and the Jim Hurtibise "Mongoose" the last front engined Offy Roadster to qualify for the 500.

On 8/21/2023 at 6:54 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Unless something completely falls apart I'd expect this "RCR #3" kit to be the only one released without his name attached. With name rights and their kit lineup they can do a plethora of offerings from his rookie Dodge Charger up through at least the Lumina years. 

There was an entire scheduling conflict with Italian summer holidays (Cartograf) that went alongside the negotiations with DEI for the naming rights and a decision was made to proceed with the kit as is and no-named to not throw the entire 3rd & 4th Quarter Historic line up into discombobulation.  Those Historic kits are what the Club gets as their "Kit of the Month" and have to be pre-planned in advance so that the decal runs match up with the production schedules.

As for the pricing, keep in mind that the SJR website is selling at full retail MSRP. I'd expect the IndyCars to be in the mid $60s on the shelf (presuming the usual 20% below MSRP most places price their kits at).

There is also a Dodge (Chrysler) Kit car Challenger that a "young newbie" tested and managed to find a wall but no real serious damage resulted. And it might be one of the few tests that were done on a dirt track.