Model Cars Magazine Forum

47Chevy Woodie and Chris Craft Cobra Boat

Well, this fifteen month project is finally complete.  This build was originally inspired by a boat by the Italian boat builder Riva, using two Lamborghini V12 engines as power.  I asked myself, “what if a U.S. car maker made V12 engines, and a premier U.S. builder of fine wooden boats happened to get hold of a couple?”

Tow car is a 47 Chevy Fleetmaster Convertible built as a Sportsman style Woodie.  The convertible body is from Jimmy Flintstone, the engine is a 3D printed LS3 V12 from Ron Olsen through Shapeways.  All the rest is from the Galaxie 47 Chevy Fleetmaster kit.  The boat is a 55 Chris Craft Cobra, from a Dumas kit, modified with two LS3 V12s like the one in the car.  The interior is scratch built using craft foam for the tuck and role seat.  The turtle shell rear deck is also scratch built with vacu formed styrene over a balsa buck.  The trailer is scratch built out of brass.

This was a challenging build for me having never built a wooden boat kit before, and also gave me several opportunities to work with unfamiliar materials such as the cedar cigar wrap that I used on the car body, and steam bent bass wood.  There are quite a few in progress pics posted under the truck, boat, and trailer thread started by Paul Payne.

I hope you enjoy this build!

Thanks,

TS

IMG_6993.jpeg

IMG_6994.jpeg

IMG_6996.jpeg

IMG_6997.jpeg

IMG_6998.jpeg

IMG_6999.jpeg

IMG_7001.jpeg

IMG_7002.jpeg

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7005.jpeg

IMG_7007.jpeg

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg

IMG_7011.jpeg

IMG_7013.jpeg

IMG_7014.jpeg

IMG_7015.jpeg

IMG_7017.jpeg

IMG_7018.jpeg

IMG_7019.jpeg

IMG_7020.jpeg

IMG_7021.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7024.jpeg

IMG_7025.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

IMG_7027.jpeg

IMG_7028.jpeg

IMG_7029.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ea0863 said:

p.s. Do post a pic or two of the engine compartment on your beautiful car too so we can see its matching 12 cylinder beast :) 

Thank you very much for your kind words!  Unfortunately, the engine does not photograph well with the hood on, but here are a couple of pics taken as I was building it.

TS

IMG_6959.jpeg

IMG_6886.jpeg

IMG_6743.jpeg

IMG_6693.jpeg

IMG_6962.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Tim!

Obviously, the Vermoint fresh air is having great impact: this is museum quality work, bravo! 

The colors, textures, and minute details are fantastic. I've not seen so many carburators in the last year, for instance. And I can only imagine what size of bank account a guy would have needed to afford such a combo, then... and now! 

Masterfull work, again!

CT

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

Obviously, the Vermoint fresh air is having great impact: this is museum quality work, bravo! 

The colors, textures, and minute details are fantastic. I've not seen so many carburators in the last year, for instance. And I can only imagine what size of bank account a guy would have needed to afford such a combo, then... and now! 

Masterfull work, again!

CT

Hi Claude, it’s always a pleasure hearing from you!  As for the fresh air, it’s been better.  Seems someone to our north is having a bond fire, and the smoke keeps coming our way.  Seems to be getting better though.

Thank you so much for your kind words about my build.  It was a true labor of love.  I’m sure that anyone that could afford a Riva Lamborghini, would have no problem writing a check for one of these.  Besides, this is modeling.  We’re allowed to pursue our fantasies with no fear of budget overruns.  We really have the best situation.  

As I already said, it’s really great to hear from you Claude.  You always have kind words of encouragement.  Those words are much appreciated my friend.

TCOTT

TS 

9 minutes ago, foghorn62 said:

Hi Claude, it’s always a pleasure hearing from you!  As for the fresh air, it’s been better.  Seems someone to our north is having a bond fire, and the smoke keeps coming our way.  Seems to be getting better though.

Thank you so much for your kind words about my build.  It was a true labor of love.  I’m sure that anyone that could afford a Riva Lamborghini, would have no problem writing a check for one of these.  Besides, this is modeling.  We’re allowed to pursue our fantasies with no fear of budget overruns.  We really have the best situation.  

As I already said, it’s really great to hear from you Claude.  You always have kind words of encouragement.  Those words are much appreciated my friend.

TCOTT

TS 

Hi Tim!

All is well deserved, and I'm happy to learn that the smoke is finally clearing. Those fires were major, nothing like we've seen before. Maybe the planet is tryng to tell us something... 

Keep well!

CT

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Maybe the planet is trying to tell us something... 

The planet is trying to tell us that combustibles ignite when subjected to lightning or arsonists. Maybe even trying to tell us that dry combustibles ignite easier and burn more readily and hotter, too.

9 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Those are both stunning.   Excellent workmanship all around. 

Thank you very much Jeremy!

TS

9 hours ago, afx said:

Impressive work.  I particularly like the boat.

Thank you JC!

TS

8 hours ago, Lucius Molchany said:

Exceptional wood grain treatment and very clean construction, excellent build!

Thank you Lucius!

TS

7 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

A stunning combination. Beautiful workmanship and concept. Nice color combination. Impressed it only took 15 months. Would've taken me a lot longer to do.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Bob!

TS

7 hours ago, bondo bill said:

Wow very cool LOVE THE COLORS AND BUILDS

Thank you very much Bill!

TS

2 hours ago, espo said:

Amazing looking finishes and engineering throughout both the car and the boat & trailer. I followed your build and the way you recreated everything in scale was amazing to watch. 

Thanks for coming along David.  I’m glad you enjoyed the build, and the finished product.

TS