Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other model car forums

Many FB Groups make a point of being private to keep out trouble makers and spam.

The Groups I belong to relate to model railroading and to my former model car club (folded just before the pandemic).  Unfortunately by the time I finally joined FB, my club Group was winding down in traffic.  It's very quiet now. 

As far as "oversharing" goes, I've had plenty of that in real life as well. 

Edited by Brian Austin

Funny thing about Facebook; I tried on two occasions to "sign up". Went through the initial stages just fine. Refused to upload a picture to prove it was really me; far too invasive I think and besides how does that prove who I am?  I could upload a picture of anyone and say it was me. How are they to really know.

In any case, on both occasions, I poked around on Facebook getting a fell for the place, stated to "ignore" or set as not interested ( or whatever they call it on Facebook ) most if not all of the "trending" people and posts they were pushing my way and the got into user configuration and started turning off features I didn't want.

In a matter of few hours I received an automated email from the Facebook Over Lord indicating that I had violated Facebook user policies and that "fake" accounts are not permitted. My account has been locked and terminated.

There was no recourse and I hadn't even made a single post. 

cheers, Graham 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Funny thing about Facebook; I tried on two occasions to "sign up". Went through the initial stages just fine. Refused to upload a picture to prove it was really me; far too invasive I think and besides how does that prove who I am?  I could upload a picture of anyone and say it was me. How are they to really know.

In any case, on both occasions, I poked around on Facebook getting a fell for the place, stated to "ignore" or set as not interested ( or whatever they call it on Facebook ) most if not all of the "trending" people and posts they were pushing my way and the got into user configuration and started turning off features I didn't want.

In a matter of few hours I received an automated email from the Facebook Over Lord indicating that I had violated Facebook user policies and that "fake" accounts are not permitted. My account has been locked and terminated.

There was no recourse and I hadn't even made a single post. 

cheers, Graham 

Every platform has their own rules and regulations.

You can either abide by their rules, or not, your choice.

In all honesty, I don't ever remember having to provide a photograph in order to open an account.

As far as I recall, the standard required information included, first name, last name, valid e-mail address, password, gender and birth date......that's it.

After that, you can include, or not include, any information about yourself that you see fit.

I didn't find creating a Facebook account to be any more intrusive or invasive than signing up for an Amazon or eBay account.

Steve

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Facebook faceshmook..... If I ever got a account id be banned or in permanent faceshmook jail.

In all honesty Lee, you're likelihood of being banned on this forum are  much higher than ever being banned on Facebook.

If you can survive here, you would never have an issue there.

Looking back on the 3 warning points that I've received since becoming a member here, I can't imagine that any of them, ( "complaining about the operation of the board, name calling, and using an inappropriate word") would have been any grounds at all for any disciplinary action whatsoever on Facebook.

Some of the individual groups may have rules regarding language or personal aggression, but of course they're well within their rights to do so.

You can't walk into a Walmart and begin throwing around expletives or being abusive to the other customers or employees without the the expectation of being ejected either.

I was in the same camp as you a couple of years ago, but found out rather quickly once I investigated for myself, that there is a lot of terrific information available there, and that you can use it however you choose to.

As with everything else, it is what you make of it.

Steve

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

We aren't allowed here to discuss 2 topics in particular. If I was on faceshmook they would be the purpose I would be on it, and believe me, my views are anything BUT what they stand for.

My views on certain subjects are probably completely contrary to the prevailing Facebook attitudes as well, but as I do in my daily interactions with people that I don’t know, I generally keep those opinions to myself.

I pretty much restrict my time on Facebook to family things on my own page, and friends and family’s pages  and modeling subjects on the modeling groups, where unless you’re looking for them, those types of discussions almost never arise.

As a matter of fact, most of the modeling groups don’t allow the subjects that I suspect that you’re eluding to, to be discussed on their groups either, just like on this forum.

It’s pretty easy to stay out of trouble unless you go looking for it, in which case, there are plenty of opportunities  on Facebook to ruin your day with those types of quagmires if you prefer.

Steve

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

The whole purpose of a social media platform like faceshmook is to share what you think and share things that interest you on unlimited subjects. It's a public venue, not private.. It's different than a forum.  

A good portion of the groups are private.

You must ask to join, and must be approved by the admins.

You can also be removed from the group at any time, for any reason that the admins see fit.

Absolutely no difference from this, or any other forum.

Steve

• Like 2

Your page might have your name on it, but you have no ownership rights for exclusitivity. Pretty much means Facebook has the right to use anything you post for anything they see fit. 

There some exceptions, but if you read the terms of service it's all in there.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

The whole purpose of a social media platform like faceshmook is to share what you think and share things that interest you on unlimited subjects. It's a public venue, not private.. It's different than a forum.  

Ideally that would be the case. However there are too many people these days that are unwilling to agree to disagree. Their attitude is am right your wrong and it just gets really ugly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

When you can't post on your own page.......and I've seen it happen. Your own page is NOT like a forum, it's YOUR page.

I'm not talking about my page.

I'm talking about the groups.

Besides, I see people that post all of the political or religious material that they want on their own page all of the time.

As a matter of fact, I get friend requests often that when I check their page, it's literally nothing but.

Generally, I don't accept friend requests in those instances.

it's a train wreck waiting to happen that I want nothing to do with.

Steve

• Like 5

My brother-in-law had his own page suspended a few times because of political views. They never closed or banned his account. Again… everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions even political ones... on his OWN page! Let’s not forget, he’s not afraid to speak his mind just as I am.

The problem is not the terms or policy. It’s the snowflakes everywhere are getting too sensitive and the admins continue to coddle them by punishing the offenders. Be careful.. the wolves are getting hungry for sheep. More wolves that have been hanging back quietly have their ears pricked up and are starting to wake up to reality.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Personally, with all that has been going on with FB lately, I think I will stay away from it, I certainly don't need the 'stress' of someone telling me what I can and can't say that has little idea of how I'm thinking. I think I find it easier to not participate in FB, and hang out here with you guys, where I can learn a lot and have a chuckle now and again...  interesting conversation here on this subject....

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

My brother-in-law had his own page suspended a few times because of political views. They never closed or banned his account. Again… everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions even political ones... on his OWN page! Let’s not forget, he’s not afraid to speak his mind just as I am.

The problem is not the terms or policy. It’s the snowflakes everywhere are getting too sensitive and the admins continue to coddle them by punishing the offenders. Be careful.. the wolves are getting hungry for sheep. More wolves that have been hanging back quietly have their ears pricked up and are starting to wake up to reality.

4 minutes ago, Biggu said:

Personally, with all that has been going on with FB lately, I think I will stay away from it, I certainly don't need the 'stress' of someone telling me what I can and can't say that has little idea of how I'm thinking. I think I find it easier to not participate in FB, and hang out here with you guys, where I can learn a lot and have a chuckle now and again...  interesting conversation here on this subject....

Jeff

Again, it is what you make of it.

If you're intent is to use Facebook as a venue to debate issues that can obviously be controversial, then of course, you're going to get blow back from other users and/or overseers.

I choose to avoid that entanglement by simply staying out of it.

I don't feel the need to post antagonistic content on my page, not because I don't have particular views, but because I'm at the point in my life where I realize that arguing about politics and religion is a complete waste of time.

You're never going to change anybody's mind, just as nobody is going to change yours, so what's the point?

On my own page, I post family oriented content, and leave it at that.

I don't feel as if I have to incessantly post political or religious memes over and over again, because my page is primarily for communicating with my family and friends, and they already know my views.

Is there a point to flogging a dead horse?

I have relatives that do that sort of thing on Facebook, and as a rule, they seem to be generally unhappy people, no doubt partially due to their interminable quest to try to convert other people to their point of view.

What a way to go through life!

Needless to say, I not only avoid these people's Facebook buffoonery, but I avoid them as much as possible in person as well.

Life's too short.

The rest of the time I spend investigating what's happening on the modeling groups, viewing tons of interesting projects and techniques, and yes, "learning a lot, and having a chuckle now and again".

If you go into it with the right attitude, there's really very little difference between a Facebook group, and a forum such as this, and there are a multitude of familiar faces from the forums there as well.

My purpose is not to convert anyone's thinking, and try to persuade them to visit.

You all already have your opinions of it, and just like religious and political topics, it's nearly impossible to change attitudes, which I have a sense, might have some parallels with some of the entrenched attitudes towards Facebook.

Steve 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have relatives that do that sort of thing on Facebook, and as a rule, they seem to be generally unhappy people, no doubt partially due to their interminable quest to try to convert other people to their point of view.

What a way to go through life!

I disagree on your comment of unhappy people and their quest to "convert other people to their point of view"

Nope far from it. A post on his feelings on the idiocy that's been going on in the world today - especially with cancel culture/woke crowd is a voice. Even a couple of liberal friends & relatives (my wife included) in our family has gotten fed up and tired of it on the news.

Now I'm getting sidetracked here. ROFLMAO!

I agree with Biggu's analysis with FB. It's not my cup of tea nor for anyone else if they have no desire to join FB.

But your points are well taken. Take it as it is. It's yours and anyone's else's choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I disagree on your comment of unhappy people and their quest to "convert other people to their point of view"

I guess my point is that I don't understand how anyone can be content or happy if they're inserting themselves into the constant pissing and moaning back and forth over issues that are completely and irreversibly irreconcilable.

It appears to me to be a recipe for utter unhappiness when all you're doing is screaming your head off to people that have their hands over their ears.

Seems to me that there's no sense in wasting time on things that have no possibility of resolution, and are completely outside of an individuals control.

I'm not happy with what's going on in he world today either, but a knock down, drag out brawl with someone who has an opposite view than me, and has zero possibility of ever agreeing with me, appears to be a pointless and depressing exercise.

Steve

• Like 5

Funny that this discussion was about other model-related forums, but it turned into free-speech gripe session.  If one wants to discuss politics or religion, t here are places for that out there (liek FB or other non-modeling forums).  To me modeling-themed forum is for modeling. Sure, many modeling forums have OT section, but many of the members don't even look at it,  and the ones who participate usually post silly or entertaining things there (or obits).

Edited by peteski
  • Like 5