Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming Round 2 Announcements - MPC Shelby Daytona and "Mach Won" Funny Car

Justin Porter

1 hour ago, mk11 said:

In view of respectfully disagreeing with the 'entirely different... everything' descriptors, I will lay out some pictures for the jury's entertainment  ^_^

First, I will agree that the chassis, front and rear body trim, wheels, engine, and some outer body shell  trim details are entirely new to the '70, but these kits do share at a minimum interiors, hoods and glass.

'69 and '70 body shells compared:

6970amtmstbdys.jpg.57b858c8cc496d1ccccea8c32eea78b3.jpg

The fact that the body shell exterior mid-section and interior parting lines and marks are very close to identical on these two bodies is what leads me to believe that the '69 body mold became the '70. I'm guessing the real answer will remain shrouded in the mists of time. Be nice to have someone take inside pics of the longnose body for comparison. 

Parts '69

69amtmstprts.jpg.b0047456d0b0ae4bde8ec3a994e4e1b1.jpg

Parts '70 

70amtmstprts.jpg.d60eda11476b74cf2f5a7a623be7329a.jpg

You can see the relationship between the two kits. I think tooling was shared and or modified between the two. The later at least has a chassis that is a bit more detailed.

Darn! 

So cool to have another Pentastar Losermobile (aka "Belowpar Mopar") on the street. I have the silver with blue version of the kit in original form. It had lots of extra goodies, like a spare engine and some extra Omni bits, since it came from the Omni kit. I think it even had the gross "Sidewinder" nose clip. Wonder if those will be in there? 

I'd love a new decal sheet, though. Can you just order them separately, from Round 2? 

On 9/9/2023 at 9:24 AM, Mark said:

The '69 body probably got reworked into the longnose as that body uses the '69 stock trim pieces.  Both it and the Mach Won were both available at the same time for at least one year, so each would have had its own body.

Mark, are you meaning the longnose and the mach won were sold at the same time? 

In Tim's drag racing model book, he shows the wood model of the longnose; I believe in 1/10 scale. What about the possibility they created the mold for it solely from the wood buck and segued the '69 annual mold into the '70?  

The body in the upcoming Mach Won kit is unaltered from the Blue Crescent issue to the best of my knowledge and we have a number of additional stock related parts still in the mold.  Another group of parts for it resides with Warren Tope '73 Mustang.  I can see the possibility of reassembled '70 Mustang kit in the future once the Mach Won issue has run its course.  

-Steve

• Like 7

9 hours ago, mk11 said:

Mark, are you meaning the longnose and the mach won were sold at the same time? 

In Tim's drag racing model book, he shows the wood model of the longnose; I believe in 1/10 scale. What about the possibility they created the mold for it solely from the wood buck and segued the '69 annual mold into the '70?  

Yes....the longnose Mustang image in my book was a 1/1oth scale wood master.    I have another image (also from John Mueller) of the same master, with Gene Winfield holding the body in a raised position over the tube frame, while smiling for the camera.  I didn't use it in the book because I was unable to contact Mr. Winfield for his permission given the short time frame for the book's completion (it was pulled ahead a number of months at the request of the publisher....).  TB

Again I want to reminder everybody that the AMT 1970 Mach 1 body in both the annual kit and the Mach Won funny car kit has a non-stock treatment in the rear quarter panel just below the quarter window.  It's actually pretty cool. 

For anyone wanting to do a showroom stock conversion, the area in question should be able to be converted to a showroom stock condition with just a bit of filing and sanding (e.g. no body filler - yeah!).  Best of both worlds, in a way.   TB 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SteveG said:

The body in the upcoming Mach Won kit is unaltered from the Blue Crescent issue to the best of my knowledge and we have a number of additional stock related parts still in the mold.  Another group of parts for it resides with Warren Tope '73 Mustang.  I can see the possibility of reassembled '70 Mustang kit in the future once the Mach Won issue has run its course.  

-Steve

Thx for the info Steve! 😎

Any chance the original AMT 69 Mustang could also be resurrected? 

C9ZA-MACH1-69.jpg.330716beac7e5d5f54aed0cdab00217d.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

It's not likely to leave the gates open?!  😇😎😀

I have test shots with all the gates opened so I know what we have to work with but we're going to keep the Mach Won kit close to the original issue parts wise.  Like I said I do have after plans, so you'll just have to be patient. 

-Steve 

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, fairlane1320 said:

Thx for the info Steve! 😎

Any chance the original AMT 69 Mustang could also be resurrected? 

C9ZA-MACH1-69.jpg.330716beac7e5d5f54aed0cdab00217d.jpg

It's in the range of possibility considering almost no one was dreaming that we'd see the '66 Fastback or the Mach Won kits ever again just a few years ago.  Sales of both will probably drive future plans.   In the meantime, I wouldn't rule out seeing the MPC based '69 Mustang kit first as that tool is workable now. 

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I have test shots with all the gates opened so I know what we have to work with but we're going to keep the Mach Won kit close to the original issue parts wise.  Like I said I do have after plans, so you'll just have to be patient. 

-Steve 

One can only try 😉

Cheers

Luc