Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Gremlin X

landman

My first car was a 1973 Gremlin X with the 304 and the Levi's interior. I am going to attempt replicating it using the AMT '75 kit with  Flintstone  a resin '72-'73 body.My cousin with the photoshop skills has converted an internet image with red stripes to one with  gold stripes. Now we have to figure out how to do the the mirror image to do the other side of the car.

336538242_1404733146732986_597096481420695955_n.jpg

c.JPG

scan0001.jpg

• Like 12

Cool project.

I had '75 Gremlin - 232 straight 6, 3 speed on the floor, bench seats, and would do zero to sixty.  I needed new tires and found four somewhat oversize tires and it became my ATG - All Terrain Gremlin. I drove it all over Newfoundland when I was stationed in Gander; over hill and dale and down some old logging roads that if I at that time had better sense would never have explored.

I always wanted one with the 304 but was not to be.

cheers, Graham

These cars were real POS, but they were sure unique looking. My GF's sister owned one and I heard horror stories.

Of course I also understand wanting to build a model of your car.  I have that '75 Gremiln X kit too, because of its unique look.

I'm curious: what are the visual differences between '75 and the '73? Is it just the details of the "C" pillar?

What would be really cool is if you could get those stripes done in metallic gold.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, peteski said:

These cars were real POS, but they were sure unique looking. My GF's sister owned one and I heard horror stories.

Of course I also understand wanting to build a model of your car.  I have that '75 Gremiln X kit too, because of its unique look.

I'm curious: what are the visual differences between '75 and the '73? Is it just the details of the "C" pillar?

What would be really cool is if you could get those stripes done in metallic gold.

That is one of the differences, but the grille is the one which stand out the most. I'm not sure what issues your relative had but mine was dead reliable. The worst feature was its skittishness on icy roads, no weight on the rear combined with lots of power.

9 hours ago, landman said:

That is one of the differences, but the grille is the one which stand out the most. I'm not sure what issues your relative had but mine was dead reliable. The worst feature was its skittishness on icy roads, no weight on the rear combined with lots of power.

We had that conversation quite some time ago, but one thing I recall was that she said the interior was really cheap (low-end). Like the interior door panels made of  cardboard.  But then again, these were econo-boxes, so maybe her expectations were too high.  I'm sure hers didn't have a V8.  I think they were also prone to rusting (but back then that was true for most cars).

I've built a few of these AMT Gremlins.....

IMHO the chassis is way to narrow and I add strip plastic to each side along the door sills. I also grind off pin marks on the top of the chassis to allow the interior to sit correct. 

I'll be watching....good luck! 

GREM1.JPG

GREM2.JPG

BTW AMC cars for this era were not junk. Because they were at the bottom of the price for a car they were treated like trash. I own two AMC's from this era. BOTH cars I am the 2nd owner and the cars were well cared for. GREAT cars really!!! 

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:10 AM, Dave Van said:

I've built a few of these AMT Gremlins.....

IMHO the chassis is way to narrow and I add strip plastic to each side along the door sills. I also grind off pin marks on the top of the chassis to allow the interior to sit correct. 

I'll be watching....good luck! 

GREM1.JPG

GREM2.JPG

BTW AMC cars for this era were not junk. Because they were at the bottom of the price for a car they were treated like trash. I own two AMC's from this era. BOTH cars I am the 2nd owner and the cars were well cared for. GREAT cars really!!! 

I had a Gremlin when I was young. 6 cylinder with standard 3 speed. Even with just a 6 it would haul butt.

1 hour ago, Big John said:

What a sleeper with the V8.  Your cousin should be able to do a mirror image in photoshop st give you a template for the decals.

John, here's something my photoshop cousin  did with a photo of the '34 Chevy that once belonged to my dad and that I restored after picking it up from what had been my grandfather's farm My dad died in 1954 when I was about 3 years old.She put both of us in it. His picture was taken in 1942. Mine was taken in 2015 or so. I am 40 years older than him.

66470348_10219316696845126_4537646090823925760_n.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, landman said:

Here's what I propose to use. The dark blue for the denim, one of the other two for the dash, seatbacks, etc...

IMG_2925.jpg

Pat, I've thought about doing that interior on one of my AMC builds.

What I'd suggest is painting the whole thing in the lighter blue first. Masking off the denim sections and lightly dry-spraying the darker blue alternating with a lighter shade of blue then the first one. Just very light, dry mist coats building up the effect. I'd do this a couple times ending with the dark blue. 

I haven't tried it yet but I think it could be quite convincing looking.