Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Desoto Fireflite Convertible

StevenGuthmiller

Time to move on to another project.

This time I'm probably going to just get myself into trouble, but after a number of mid to late 60s builds, I wanted to get back to the 50s and try to do something a little nuts.

I'm starting with this X-El 1959 Desoto Fireflite 4 door hard top, and converting it into a full detail convertible.

I'll be utilizing as much of the AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 kit for the guts as I can, but the real test is going to be putting together an interior.

The promo has no interior, so one will basically need to be scratch built from the ground up.

I'll hopefully be able to modify some of the interior parts from the 300, and with any luck, I'll be able to find at least a starting point for the dash board.

In any case, the first task was to fill the unwanted door seams, and begin the transformation from a 4 door to a 2 door.

I began this work many years ago, but decided to start over again.

Rather than fill the panel lines with filler, (I hate putty) I filled them by gluing pieces of thinly stretch sprue into the gaps and then sanding and going over it with a very thin glaze of putty.

Shot a guide coat of primer over the mods to see how it's going.

Looks okay so far, although a little more light work might be required.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, customline said:

Don't forget about the left-hand lugnuts, Steve. 😄.  I love these old Mo-pups. Oooo....how about an Adventurer? 

I would absolutely consider an Adventurer, but unfortunately, as is the usual case, nobody makes PE scripts for cars like this, so it seems like a better game plan to stick with the Fireflite.

Steve

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I would absolutely consider an Adventurer, but unfortunately, as is the usual case, nobody makes PE scripts for cars like this, so it seems like a better game plan to stick with the Fireflite.

Steve

Yeah, I get it. These cars are such classics...funny how you couldn't give e 'em away back in the 70s. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

These '55-61 Forward Look cars are the coolest looking wheeled things ever made, in my opinion..

This is an awesome project you've started, and judging by yer others that you've done, it will be a real jewel one day..

Regarding the possibility of turning it into an Adventurer, it's doable..

Most of my stuff is FL MoPar related, and there isn't much to start with in the kit world, so I have to make emblems and such from scratch often..

For emblems, I use a sheet of 0.10 thick Evergreen styrene, draw the emblem to scale, and cut it out with a blade..

Doing this absolutely DOES suck!

It takes a while to do, is a real pain, isn't forgiving of any mistakes, and has been the source of many newly invented curse words..

BUT, is worth the trouble in the end..

And, I don't know any other way to get correct emblems for my little cars..

Here's a pic of one I just whittled out for my '58 Chrysler Saratoga project :

20230521_050714.thumb.jpg.d8917ccefe8e3ea1ec13d9465f2b55b6.jpg

Anyway, just throwing that out there..

Coolest WIP thread this year, I'll be following along for sure! 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, chryslerjunkandstuff said:

These '55-61 Forward Look cars are the coolest looking wheeled things ever made, in my opinion..

This is an awesome project you've started, and judging by yer others that you've done, it will be a real jewel one day..

Regarding the possibility of turning it into an Adventurer, it's doable..

Most of my stuff is FL MoPar related, and there isn't much to start with in the kit world, so I have to make emblems and such from scratch often..

For emblems, I use a sheet of 0.10 thick Evergreen styrene, draw the emblem to scale, and cut it out with a blade..

Doing this absolutely DOES suck!

It takes a while to do, is a real pain, isn't forgiving of any mistakes, and has been the source of many newly invented curse words..

BUT, is worth the trouble in the end..

And, I don't know any other way to get correct emblems for my little cars..

Here's a pic of one I just whittled out for my '58 Chrysler Saratoga project :

20230521_050714.thumb.jpg.d8917ccefe8e3ea1ec13d9465f2b55b6.jpg

Anyway, just throwing that out there..

Coolest WIP thread this year, I'll be following along for sure! 

That is something I will never be able to accomplish. Amazing.

5 hours ago, T-Ray said:

Cool project! Out of curiousity, could there be anything usable from the "Christine"  Plymouth kit? 

58 Fury 

1958 Plymouth Fury Golden Commando

59 Desoto 

1959 DeSoto Fireflite for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1334876

I'm not gonna lie and say they're identical but it could be a start, y'know?

I'm not certain what trim level the red Desoto depicts, but it appears as if the Chrysler 300's door panels are pretty close to the '59 Fireflite's.

'57 Chrysler 300.

spacer.png

'59 Desoto Fireflite.

spacer.png

Steve

1 minute ago, Bucky said:

Could any of the interior parts from the AMT '59 Imperial convertible kit be usable? And maybe the boot cover?

I'm investigating the possibility that at least the upper dash pad might be a good starting point.

The width of the instrument panel section, and the defroster vent portion look to be close.

Imperial.

spacer.png

Desoto.

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm not certain what trim level the red Desoto depicts, but it appears as if the Chrysler 300's door panels are pretty close to the '59 Fireflite's.

I just looked the picture up again, it says that it's a 59 Fireflite. Whether or not it actually is, I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, customline said:

60-62 Ford Galaxy dash is in the ball park shapewise. It's an avenue.....also, what about the Moebius 300 kits for mechanicals? The interior wouldn't help too much.

R-63.jpg.ae990bae0d2504a34970d8ddf665b867.jpg

Unfortunately, the Moebius ‘55 and ‘56, as well as the AMT ‘57, all have Hemi engines.

The Hemi was no longer available in ‘59, so another Mopar big block will have to fill the Bill.

While the wheel base looks about right from the Möbius kits, the frame looks a little different, and the ‘57 looks to be a little more accurate for a ‘59.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Unfortunately, the Moebius ‘55 and ‘56, as well as the AMT ‘57, all have Hemi engines.

The Hemi was no longer available in ‘59, so another Mopar big block will have to fill the Bill.

While the wheel base looks about right from the Möbius kits, the frame looks a little different, and the ‘57 looks to be a little more accurate for a ‘59.

Steve

Yep, frame, chassis pan, engine compartment, transmission, seats, dash, and door panels from the AMT '57 300 C kit can be used as a base for yer DeSoto..

Though the seats, dash, and door panels require LOTS of massaging..

I've used that 300 C as the basis for all of my '57-59 Chrysler and DeSoto projects..

The dash and swivel seats for the '59s were the most difficult parts to do..

On 10/5/2023 at 7:57 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Yeah, I remember now, the wedge.... because the hemi in the moebius kit is first rate..  too bad. I need to find a dodge or desoto like this one you got.  I drove a 55 dodge for a year or two....