Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 next year

Mr mopar

On 10/18/2023 at 9:04 AM, SteveG said:

The 64 Malibu is all fresh tooling, shares no parts other than the tires from the '65 GTO Hardtop as both are from the same design team so it should be a very easy build. 

-Steve

Very nice!  Seems the '65 has been pretty well played out - two viable reissues plus a brand new altered wheelbase tool - but I'd love the stock coupe to get the same treatment 'cause it would provide most of what you need to sort out Revell's Z-16.

Then again - we could just drop a 409 in the new '64 for a "what if", huh... 🤔

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Very nice!  Seems the '65 has been pretty well played out - two viable reissues plus a brand new altered wheelbase tool - but I'd love the stock coupe to get the same treatment 'cause it would provide most of what you need to sort out Revell's Z-16.

I'm thinking about doing a stock '64 SS Convertible and or a'65 Coupe SS (non Z-16) as follow up items but those would be down the line somewhere.     

-Steve 

• Like 8

19 hours ago, SteveG said:

I'm thinking about doing a stock '64 SS Convertible and or a'65 Coupe SS (non Z-16) as follow up items but those would be down the line somewhere.     

-Steve 

Please hold off until you do the '66 Skylark GS and '68 Torino GT Indy Pace Car! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

IMG_0418.thumb.jpeg.46105eae422014212f67e77aa1c774ea.jpegIMG_0416.thumb.jpeg.bf0b336c2af294bd652ed6e67cf39bcb.jpegHere you go a Z-11 427 it fits like a glove . Round 2 should do some Tom strum decals for the new 64 chevelle kit. For the drive train use the 62 bel air super stock kit 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Model Roundup or whoever that is that always lists these early sure likes stealing Steve G's thunder with announcing these new kits.

Stevens International is a distributor, they always have the info well in advance...I check their website periodically... no surprise with this one, as the ht was inevitable.

https://www.stevenshobby.com

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

Stevens International is a distributor, they always have the info well in advance...I check their website periodically... no surprise with this one, as the ht was inevitable.

https://www.stevenshobby.com

Not saying they're inaccurate in their info, just that Steve G was probably just a couple days away from officially announcing it at the DAAM show this weekend it must kinda be a bummer for him when this happens so consistently. Sure, we all assumed the hardtop was coming, but it wasn't official...yet.

1 minute ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Not saying they're inaccurate in their info, just that Steve G was probably just a couple days away from officially announcing it at the DAAM show this weekend it must kinda be a bummer for him when this happens so consistently. Sure, we all assumed the hardtop was coming, but it wasn't official...yet.

I assume Round 2 is giving that information to Stevens and other distributors, so that's on them...

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Making it known to a limited number of modelers - DAAM isn't *that* big of a show, it's just convenient to get to for Steve/Round2 (and usually Moebius) - doesn't make something "official". It's official when it's got an item number and gets pushed out to Distributors as a future item. The number of people who sit around and check Steven's website is near 0 and even this forum represents maybe 3-5% of the hobby. 

When the 68 H/T is released there will be a bevy of stunned people who never knew it was coming. Look at any comment section to any Round2 video and people routinely ask for kits that AMT/MPC never made to begin with or are fervently demanding a reissue of something that in fact just WAS reissued 6-8 months prior.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sledsel said:

So much cool stuff has come out and is coming out but when I see a '67 Galaxie listed I will be ecstatic!!!! LOL Wishful thinking on my end.

My gut feeling is that the 67 Galaxie kit be announced sometime in 2024.  Definetly another highly requested subject.  Not based on any factual info.  Just speculation.  Just thinking this is the next logical subject that Round 2 could be working on.

Edited by GMP440

16 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I assume Round 2 is giving that information to Stevens and other distributors, so that's on them...

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Making it known to a limited number of modelers - DAAM isn't *that* big of a show, it's just convenient to get to for Steve/Round2 (and usually Moebius) - doesn't make something "official". It's official when it's got an item number and gets pushed out to Distributors as a future item. The number of people who sit around and check Steven's website is near 0 and even this forum represents maybe 3-5% of the hobby. 

When the 68 H/T is released there will be a bevy of stunned people who never knew it was coming. Look at any comment section to any Round2 video and people routinely ask for kits that AMT/MPC never made to begin with or are fervently demanding a reissue of something that in fact just WAS reissued 6-8 months prior.

You guys are taking me a bit too seriously. No point to talking about it any further as Steve G really doesn't seem to care. I just know that if I was working on a secret project and one of my distributors leaked the news before I got the pleasure of telling the world about it I would be a little bummed. Anyway, none of that really matters. Just glad we're getting the kit.

Making it known to a limited number of modelers - DAAM isn't *that* big of a show,

My take is that the DAAM show has gradually grown to become one of the larger shows over the last several years.  I don't have access to real metrics (paid attendance, number of vendors, et al) but based on visual observation (and acknowledging that i don't get out to a lot of shows these days), I would personally put the DAAM show in the broad second tier of model car shows (with the NNL East standing on its own at the top as the single largest model show).  

In the view of some, the NNL Motor City (November DAAM show) is also the spiritual successor to the original NNL Nats - though it does have a decidedly different flavor than the original IMHO - including much larger vendor attendance and a smaller - but growing - turnout of completed model cars on display - and that (along with the geographical proximity as noted by James above) make it a "must" for Round 2 to attend and promote future kit announcements.. 

Looking forward like the rest of you all to see what Steve G./John G./Tom L. have up their sleeve for Sunday...TB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GMP440 said:

My gut feeling is that the 67 Galaxie kit be announced sometime in 2024.  Definetly another highly requested subject.  Not based on any factual info.  Just speculation.  Just thinking this is the next logical subject that Round 2 could be working on.

Every time there is a round 2 question of what would you like re released the 62 and 67 Galaxies are my response.

If the '67 returns, I am sure it will be a promo type but I'll deal with that as long as the '66 Galaxie comes out every so often to get a nicer chassis.

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Making it known to a limited number of modelers - DAAM isn't *that* big of a show,

My take is that the DAAM show has gradually grown to become one of the larger shows over the last several years.  I don't have access to real metrics (paid attendance, number of vendors, et al) but based on visual observation (and acknowledging that i don't get out to a lot of shows these days), I would personally put the DAAM show in the broad second tier of model car shows (with the NNL East standing on its own at the top as the single largest model show).  

In the view of some, the NNL Motor City (November DAAM show) is also the spiritual successor to the original NNL Nats - though it does have a decidedly different flavor than the original IMHO - including much larger vendor attendance and a smaller - but growing - turnout of completed model cars on display - and that (along with the geographical proximity as noted by James above) make it a "must" for Round 2 to attend and promote future kit announcements.. 

Looking forward like the rest of you all to see what Steve G./John G./Tom L. have up their sleeve for Sunday...TB 

It's a nice regional show for sure, but it's not really - at least within my spheres of influence - graduated to the point it's a "destination" show the way NNL was in Toledo. Or NNL East, NNL West, Acme, the former GSL, et al. Nobody has bragged to me they're taking vacation to go to Detroit...yet 🤣

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

You guys are taking me a bit too seriously. No point to talking about it any further as Steve G really doesn't seem to care. I just know that if I was working on a secret project and one of my distributors leaked the news before I got the pleasure of telling the world about it I would be a little bummed. Anyway, none of that really matters. Just glad we're getting the kit.

And Round2 is the one giving them the information...because Steve is going to show the stuff over the weekend. There's no faster way to annoy your distributors than debut a product in public before they know about it. Monday morning they're going to get a flood of their downsteam customers - who are all hobby shops and other retail buyers - wanting to know about when/how to get the kit and their answer can't be - "What kit?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's a nice regional show for sure, but it's not really - at least within my spheres of influence - graduated to the point it's a "destination" show the way NNL was in Toledo. Or NNL East, NNL West, Acme, the former GSL, et al. Nobody has bragged to me they're taking vacation to go to Detroit...yet 🤣

As a said, my assessment of it being part of a broad "2nd tier" was based on the active floor space of the show and number of vendor/model car show participants, but from the perspective of it being a "destination show" as you define it, you make a valid point.  In the last several years the NNL Motor City has attracted volumes of entries from Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ontario, and to a lesser extent from some other nearby states.  But to your point, I don't recall having seen any more than a few participants from Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, et al, and none (that I remember) from Cali. 

It will be interesting o see if that expands geographically this year.   Time will tell...TB   

On 11/8/2023 at 8:26 AM, Motor City said:

Please hold off until you do the '66 Skylark GS and '68 Torino GT Indy Pace Car! 

We got the '64 Cutlasses, the '65 and '68 GTO's, and now the '64 Chevelle is on deck.

It really does feel like it's the '66 Skylark's turn, doesn't it? 😁

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

As a said, my assessment of it being part of a broad "2nd tier" was based on the active floor space of the show and number of vendor/model car show participants, but from the perspective of it being a "destination show" as you define it, you make a valid point.  In the last several years the NNL Motor City has attracted volumes of entries from Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ontario, and to a lesser extent from some other nearby states.  But to your point, I don't recall having seen any more than a few participants from Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, et al, and none (that I remember) from Cali. 

It will be interesting o see if that expands geographically this year.   Time will tell...TB   

I know several people from the Cleveland area that make the pilgrimage up there, and when I lived in Cleveland I also once interviewed for a job (based in Ohio) in Detroit and never really though that much about driving up there and back in one half day. Seems like you never hear it mentioned around Pittsburgh...we aren't that much further away, but that might just be 25 years of driving for a living talking 🤣

Edited by niteowl7710

On 11/11/2023 at 7:09 AM, niteowl7710 said:

I know several people from the Cleveland area that make the pilgrimage up there, and when I lived in Cleveland I also once interviewed for a job (based in Ohio) in Detroit and never really though that much about driving up there and back in one half day. Seems like you never hear it mentioned around Pittsburgh...we aren't that much further away, but that might just be 25 years of driving for a living talking 🤣

Interesting update on this....according to the show organizer, the NNL Motor City yesterday added another 20 tables at the last minute, taking the total to 380 vendor tables.  I asked John Boettger (sp?) who sells at both this and the Atlanta area NNL type show and he said that the Motor City event is much larger from his perspective (as a vendor). 

On the other hand, the NNL model car display was a little light this year, seems to me, and although my memory from 20+ years ago is pretty foggy, I recall the 2001 NNL South (I think that is what it was called back then) had notably more model car projects even back then compared to what I saw here yesterday.   

One more comment....in the past I typically timed my arrival at this event at 1/2 hour after the show opened and could pretty much could walk right in without waiting.   I arrived the at the same time yesterday and saw a line snaking around the entire hallways of the facility.  Reminded me of the NNL East when I went there in 2019.  Someone told me that there was still a (short) line to get in 90 minutes after the show opened.  Attendance was clearly at an all-time high from what I could tell.    

My take bottom line?  This show is growing by leaps and bounds, and from a vendor perspective it is in that "second tier' I mentioned above.  But again, to your point, the model car display portion of the show has yet to attract the sort of national awareness and attendance compared to the shows you mention.  In the future I hope more automotive modelers get the message that this is a growing show and is not be missed going forward...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd