Model Cars Magazine Forum

What paint do I use over rubber?

I recently received a 1/6 Tamiya, Yamaha YZ 250 that I want to turn into a replica of an IT 175 that I used to have. The black fork boots appear to be real rubber. I want to paint them with bright yellow like the fork boots on my old IT. I have heard that lacquer tends to react adversely with rubber. Should I hit with common primer and then the yellow, or skip the primer altogether?

you could try paints/dyes for recolouring vinyl and leather interiors. It will have a bit more flex than other paints so its less likely to flake off. fabric paints could be another flexible option. I would expect these to be better options as other paints will just flake off if you need to bend the boots as they are for solid surfaces.

If you are talking about model kit rubber, avoid anything enamel as it will never truly cure. Aqueous acrylics will retain a bit of flex and should cure, and lacquers will cure but likely crack when flexed. Test on an area that doesn't show before committing.

i dont know what the black fork boots look like, but if you could replace them they sell yellow rubber and vinyl..just do a Google search.  i dont think prime and paint black rubber will work. i have never heard anyone doing it with any success

Dyes and Sharpies will not change black color to a light color (like yellow).  If any sort of coating (paint) is to be used, it needs to be very opaque. 
Paints for made for vinyl are probably the best choice. They adhere well to vinyl and stay flexible.  But too much flexing might flake them off rubber. Another possibility would be to make a RTV mold using the original part, then mold them out of light color or yellow material.  If  those boots are for show only (they don't need to compress like the 1:1 boots, then the castings could even be made from hard resin (like polyurethane).  Those could be painted any color, just like any other resin part.

• 2 weeks later...