Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cale Yarborough's Wood Brothers Ford Fairlane 1967 DAYTONA500

gami8630

This car is a Ford Fairlane that competed in the 1967 DAYTONA 500.
The driver is Cale Yarbrough and the team is Wood Brothers Racing, one of NASCAR's oldest teams, which has used the number 21 for many years.

The base kit is AMT's FORD FAIRLANE 427 re-released by round2 in 2021.
Since this kit is a production car version, I combined it with the FORD TORINO TALLDEGA chassis from POLAR LIGHTS.
There were more adjustment and modification points than initially expected, and it took quite a bit of time, but I think I was able to reproduce the atmosphere of the stock car of the time.

For the body, basic modifications included removal of various production-spec moldings, emblems, wipers, etc., and raising the height of the front and rear windows.
Next, front and rear wheel openings were enlarged, race-spec fueling ports and fuel overflow pipes were added, catch pins were installed in the engine hood and trunk lid, and the engine hood was made into a flat hood.

The chassis has a shortened front sub-frame and front hoop front end, partial roll cage side bars cut, roll cage upper bar replaced, backboard and fuel tank added, etc.

Minimal additional work was done on the cockpit, including the creation of a race-spec instrument panel, the addition of seat belts, and the detailing of the fire extinguisher.

The only other crafts are the addition of plug cords to the engine and the installation of stone guards on the radiator grille.

Tires and wheels are PPP Firestone tires and HM type 9-inch wide wheels.

The body was sprayed with Tamiya's Super Surfacer (Gray), Fine Surfacer (White), and TS-26 Pure White in the usual fashion. The roof is TS-18 Metallic Red.

Decals are Powerslide, but the sponsor decals on the fenders are converted from stock decals.

fairlane_01.jpg

fairlane_02.jpg

fairlane_03.jpg

fairlane_04.jpg

fairlane_09.jpg

fairlane_05.jpg

fairlane_06.jpg

fairlane_07.jpg

fairlane_08.jpg

Edited by gami8630
  • Like 12

On 11/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Roy L Frost III said:

verrry nice, todays nascar are like todays cars, all look the same and no  chrome, drivers were drivers then. Guess I'm showing my age, or wisdom lol

Indeed, the current "Next GEN" car is a pure racing car, completely different in body style and content from the production car.

• gami8630 changed the title to Cale Yarborough's Wood Brothers Ford Fairlane 1967 DAYTONA500

Thanks,  Wakefan77, Pierre Rivard, Sledsel, Nitrobarry.

Today, many images and documents can be accessed on the Internet.
Therefore, gathering the information needed to build model cars has become much easier than it was when I was younger.
Nevertheless, the books I purchased in the past are still very useful.
These books were also very helpful in the construction of the Fairlane that I built this time.

2023111801.jpg.cd5587ee4225a2becb51abf3c7d454e4.jpg2023111802.jpg.0b1009f16f641ecf5baf283f6bea856b.jpg

12 hours ago, gami8630 said:

Thanks,  Wakefan77, Pierre Rivard, Sledsel, Nitrobarry.

Today, many images and documents can be accessed on the Internet.
Therefore, gathering the information needed to build model cars has become much easier than it was when I was younger.
Nevertheless, the books I purchased in the past are still very useful.
These books were also very helpful in the construction of the Fairlane that I built this time.

I've got all those publications - very helpful indeed for building correct replicas. Great work on the Fairlane!