Model Cars Magazine Forum

Billy the Kid Demon Pro Stock

dragcarz

Roger,

Truly sorry about the news of your mother in law. If you have the 71 Charger kit, they might work, the difference is not as radical. They look similar besides that from what I remember when I did my 72

Edited by Moparman18064

My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother-in-law Roger, this is definitely not the birthday present you were expecting, it's a very sad turn of events.

I'm very happy to see you back on your BTK, it will certainly do you good and take your mind off things despite the little setback with the stance of the front.  Maybe you could make a rounded opening in the fender apron (like a nest for the tire) where the front wheel touches a bit like those who make super-lowered cars?

9 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Roger,

Truly sorry about the news of your mother in law. If you have the 71 Charger kit, they might work, the difference is not as radical. They look similar besides that from what I remember when I did my 72

Thank you Rich, can you give me a little mote detail on what you did on your 72?

8 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother-in-law Roger, this is definitely not the birthday present you were expecting, it's a very sad turn of events.

I'm very happy to see you back on your BTK, it will certainly do you good and take your mind off things despite the little setback with the stance of the front.  Maybe you could make a rounded opening in the fender apron (like a nest for the tire) where the front wheel touches a bit like those who make super-lowered cars?

Thank you Francis, I’m looking forward to getting back to normal life.

Raising the aprons doesn’t bother me too much, I could adjust the attachment point of the wheel making it off center, but you can’t do that on a real car, so I hate to do that on my build. Scratch building new spindles is a thought…..

2 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Thank you Rich, can you give me a little mote detail on what you did on your 72?

Roger, on my 72 Charger kit bash, the problem was moving the wheel back to fit better in wheel well. I tried flipping side to side and turning upside down, very little difference, as pin for wheel attachment was much closer to centered on spindle. I ended up cutting .020 flat stock, butting it up against the flat pad where existing pin was, then cut a groove behind it in spindle to brace it with a slightly larger piece of .020 behind it for strength. I then cut off existing wheel attachment pin and made a new pin of same size(.080 I believe) and installed in new position.( I drilled and pinned it through the flat stock) I then smoothed everything out so it would only be noticed by pointing it out and wheel would clear properly.

It may sound complicated, but it was easier than rebuilding upper and lower control arms or cutting a piece out of chassis. Since you are only looking for a ride height issue, this is why I suggest using the spindles from Charger kit if they will fit between the control arms properly. The difference in height by flipping control arm is not as much as the A body spindle in kit, you might get lucky, not having to go through what I did or remaking completely new spindles.

Edited by Moparman18064

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I start? To get the front end low enough the K member sits on the ground and the front tires hit the fender aprons. So the spindles need to be raised, the K member needs to be trimmed to fit closer to the frame rails, and the aprons need to be replaced, so I disassembled most of the work I’ve already done. I trimmed the aprons off and re-sanded the attachment points. I grabbed another K member from my parts kit and trimmed the mounting points to raise closer up. The kits design has the K member doubled up so it’s rather thick, I’m only using the lower K member now. The space between control arms is now too narrow and I’ll probably have to scratch build the spindles. I’m a little concerned about the radiator support being to low now, but I will have to test fit everything to see where it’s at. During all the test fits I have now tore the rear wheel tub. I seriously think Einstein’s theory of relativity was easier than re-engineering this kit.

A7E2DB88-F0FB-4AEE-8FD2-98C7B78D1F54.jpeg

97351EFE-5DB4-4D95-96A5-CDCE9BFAAE99.jpeg

951F8E88-A32F-464B-83D8-46F84EB7EDB4.jpeg

FA60282F-6775-4965-ACEB-77956CEEF165.jpeg

0B608D14-D0B2-4A0F-BE05-A153E0E3C97C.jpeg

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with this one Roger. When I look up all the shots I could find on the car, the only one that you could see any of the front end is in the fire burnout one, where it looks like the k frame or whatever he had under there looks like it was 1-2” off the ground. Even when the front wheels are in the air, it doesn’t look like the wheels drop much, if any. It is hard to tell if he was running 14 or 15 inch wheels on the front when they were not Centerlines. It does appear that the fronts were tucked up really close to aprons. One of the underhood shots I found, he had aluminum panels hiding all the apron and radiator support areas. Maybe he did raise them on the horizontal surfaces. There is a guy on FB that replicated the car, with info from Stepp’s daughter. He might have a clue. I wish I had answers.

2 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with this one Roger. When I look up all the shots I could find on the car, the only one that you could see any of the front end is in the fire burnout one, where it looks like the k frame or whatever he had under there looks like it was 1-2” off the ground. Even when the front wheels are in the air, it doesn’t look like the wheels drop much, if any. It is hard to tell if he was running 14 or 15 inch wheels on the front when they were not Centerlines. It does appear that the fronts were tucked up really close to aprons. One of the underhood shots I found, he had aluminum panels hiding all the apron and radiator support areas. Maybe he did raise them on the horizontal surfaces. There is a guy on FB that replicated the car, with info from Stepp’s daughter. He might have a clue. I wish I had answers.

Thanks. I’ll try and find that info on FB, I follow her.