Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fun '80s plastic toy cars

I had a battery powered plastic Mercedes Benz Police car in the 80's, a 200 W123. It had one of those wheels under the engine area with two smaller rubber wheels in it that would spin. It moved the car backward and forward in a kind of 'seeking' motion. The lights also lit up and made a siren sound through a piezo speaker. It was a very accurate body if I remember but no idea what company made it. It was about 1/18 scale. My mum bought it for me at a small town market at one of those toy shops that sold odd but really good toys you never saw at the bigger chains. Would love to find one but I can't even find a picture of one.

On 11/29/2023 at 9:51 PM, peteski said:

We sure live in some strange times.  This is a 3rd decade of the 21st Century and the amount of censorship or being offended is so much more prevalent than in the past 5 or 6 decades.  :(

No judgement was intended on my part.  Attempts to look up "Thomas Toys" get choked with results for Thomas the Tank Engine merch.  😛

Growing up one of my friends had a large plastic ford transit mk1 van. I think it was around 1/12 scale but could have been bigger and i was always jealous that he had it. I've searched ebay looking for one just for the nostalgia value but never found another. It had the diesel transit front and was white plastic with a red a team stripe but that might have been added by my friend as he loved that show