Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Stock Contest Rules

The Project:

After a long hiatus from building I am interested in competing in a few contests this coming season.  I'd like to build a couple of Box Stock entries to hone my painting and building skills.  Here is my question. I'd like to build a classic drag car and this kit has that version.... but, the chassis has the standard molded-in single exhaust.  The drag version obviously has open headers exiting under the chassis.  In MOST BOX Stock contests is it legal to remove the stock exhaust?  I would assume not... but the inaccuracy is obvious.  Also, is paint open to the creativity of the builder?  No limits?  I want to do a full custom paint job using the box art as a starting place.  I also assume no added details, such as wiring and photoetched parts, hence the "Box Stock" designation.....(Captain Obvious, lol)  

I realize that the rules in Box Stock probably vary a small bit from contest to contest.  I'm looking for some advice based your experiences in contest formats.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all....

My understanding is that you may only decorate with paint, and foil for a box stock build.

Everything else must be contained in the box.

There may be variations as to what may be performed as modifications from show to show, but if you suspect that there may be issues, just do what you want to the project and then enter it into the corresponding category.  I would never let my creativity be dictated by a contest category.

Compete in whatever category your build ends up in.

Steve

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Oldriginal86 said:

There is a contest section further down on this forum. Many of them will post the rules for each category. I was surprised to see some wouldn’t allow BMF and aftermarket decals.

Exactly.

Without knowing a particular contests specific rules, there’s no way of knowing, which is why my suggestion is to build it how you want to build it, and let the proverbial “contest chips” fall where they may.

It really makes little difference which categories you compete in.

The category Itself has little bearing on the quality of the competition.

Every category has it’s “gods” that you’ll have to compete with.

Steve

• Like 1

Each contest I have ever entered seems to have it's own intricacies, but each should specifically outline what they allow. Most I have entered allow things like cutting open the exhaust tips etc, some allow different decals and considered them a "finish" much the same as foil. Some of the old custom kits also call out things in the instructions, such as parts swaps from other kits, and some contests even allow that. Ultimately, read the rules for the given contest you are interested in. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
  • Like 1

I am with Steve. Build it for your own satisfaction. If others admire it enough to give you recognition all the better. As far as rules, ADDING stuff will get you moved out of the class pretty quick. Removing stuff should be fair game. Flashing, mold lines, sink holes, pin marks etc. You could try to sell taking out the single exhaust as removal of a "mold" line.

I entered an out of the box contest many, many years ago.

You could paint it any color you wanted, but other than that. You could only use what came in the box.

I chose an MPC Dodge truck.

I used what was in the box,... including the box!

I stretched the sprue to make hoses, plug wires and an antenna 

I used the box to make a camper  for the bed of the truck.

They tried to disqualify me, but I pointed out that I only used what came with the kit.  Their rules.

I came in third, only because I wouldn't  shut up about it .

• Haha 2

First off if you do build box stock then you need to check the rules for that contest.

Second I agree about building what you want and not for a specific class. However I think that box stock is a class to be considered regardless of that.  It is based purely on how well you build the kit. You still have the choice of subject matter.  its also away to work on honing your basic skills.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

First off if you do build box stock then you need to check the rules for that contest.

Second I agree about building what you want and not for a specific class. However I think that box stock is a class to be considered regardless of that.  It is based purely on how well you build the kit. You still have the choice of subject matter.  its also away to work on honing your basic skills.

I can’t disagree with any of that, but I guess if I made the decision to build a box stock model, and enter it in a contest, I would just build it as it came  from the box and go with that.

In any case, if it so happened that it did not meet the rules for that particular category, I wouldn’t let that stop me from entering it in a different category.

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

You could paint it any color you wanted, but other than that. You could only use what came in the box.

They tried to disqualify me, but I pointed out that I only used what came with the kit.  Their rules.

Some contests explicitly exclude items such as stretching sprue for antennas and other such similar actions. Here is a link the the riles from the final GSL, https://www.gslchampionship.org/competition-principles/ that is VERY specific.

Some contests, like Desert Scale Classic actually have a second box stock catagory where KIT parts are allowed to be used from another kit as long as they are identified and unmodified.image.png.67ba8d91886136725195b436bfbc7a35.png

You may want to contact the group that is holding the contest for any clarification of the rules. They may even have the rules posted on their web site if they have one. Your concern about the existing factory style exhaust and the addition of the kit's headers, many Drag Racing sanctioning bodies do or did require some sort of a "street exhaust" system be present in the stock classes. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

The point of Box Stock or Out Of Box is to build the kit only as the instructions state.

But, yes, you found a loophole in poorly written rules. 🙂

22 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

image.png.19d091392ca91350a762dca24ac12766.png

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you all....many points well-taken.  I love the sprue-stretching story!  I decided to go box-only and left the stock exhaust in place.  Looks dorky but it is what it is, besides being quite a project to remove and replace detail on the floor pan.

I'll post pics as soon as I'm done.  Thanks again everyone....

Steve

• Like 1