Model Cars Magazine Forum

A change of pace. Building a model like when we were a kid

I haven’t done a bone build since maybe my first couple of models, I evolved to paint pretty rapidly. Most of my stash of unbuilt models unfortunately are bare white and chrome so they would look rather bland. I’ll have to do some looking around and see if there is a kit that has multiple variants of colours that I could maybe attempt this with. 
I am very interested in doing this.

Huh. I accidentally built one of these yesterday--Revell snapper '57 Chevy for my grandson for Christmas. No paint, just Silver Sharpie for the side trim and Painter's Touch silver for the window trim. Whole thing only took me about two hours. 

57Chevy03.JPG.05b69cd6cefed55dba1b1e8fc04c7e74.JPG

57Chevy07.JPG.021dc7f3bf218f58c551757564750531.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. I accidentally built one of these yesterday--Revell snapper '57 Chevy for my grandson for Christmas. No paint, just Silver Sharpie for the side trim and Painter's Touch silver for the window trim. Whole thing only took me about two hours. 

57Chevy03.JPG.05b69cd6cefed55dba1b1e8fc04c7e74.JPG

57Chevy07.JPG.021dc7f3bf218f58c551757564750531.JPG

Looks pretty darn cool too!

• Thanks 1

SoDak's video is another 15-minute YouTube video that could've been done in 2. 

I thought the idea was interesting until he started getting into BMF, after market detailing products, Sharpies, kit bashing, etc. So I guess the video could've been about 90-seconds. "Build a car any way you want without using broad coatings and submit your videos this way." Done.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

I thought the idea was interesting until he started getting into BMF, after market detailing products, Sharpies, kit bashing, etc. So I guess the video could've been about 90-seconds. "Build a car any way you want without using broad coatings and submit your videos this way." Done.

Exactly! I thought the first video would NEVER end. 

And I've built quite a few models without painting the body, interior, or chassis. But NO paint at all? I DO like to paint my grilles, wheels, and so forth for detailing. If I'm not allowed to do that, I'm OUT. :blink:

Funny…I was brush painting some interior details yesterday, and was amazed how beautifully the AK paint went on. I found myself thinking that it would be neat to have a thread for totally brush painted models. I don’t recall even spray bombing any models as a kid… everything was brushed.😬

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Funny…I was brush painting some interior details yesterday, and was amazed how beautifully the AK paint went on. I found myself thinking that it would be neat to have a thread for totally brush painted models. I don’t recall even spray bombing any models as a kid… everything was brushed.😬

I brush painted many of them until I reached a certain age or did not have any spray paint.

I think it's a cool idea. Unless you are participating in the group build youbes can decide how you want to do it.

21 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Well I think since this was group build he wanted to give some guidelines as some need things spelled out. Second he hasn't be doing this that long.  Besides I've seen videos from more experienced youtubers that could have been edited down.

If you want to do a quicky build with minimum caution,  try out the 24 Hour Build.  It's always the last weekend in January, from noon on Saturday until noon on Sunday.  We say  "Build like a 12 year old".  

You should start with a kit you don't care about, twist the parts off the trees, do minimal prep, and just build the sucker. I see guys are going to use some Ollies kits this year. You do have to paint the body and most guys do a pretty good job.  The end results aren't that far off from some of my hard earned models!   Lessons to be learned here!

Here's the official site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1195723418001143

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

I rarely painted them until I was around age 9. And brush paints 🎨 which were awful. I probably did the entire Trophy 🏆 Series line with no paint. 

I always painted mine!  Think thick gooey Testors brush paint.  I never had thinner so once I painted something, the brush was toast.  Then I would resort to painting with Q-Tips!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of brush painting, one of my very first model cars in the summer of 1966 was the (original annual) AMT Mustang 2+2, which I brush-painted Pactra Leaf green. It didn't come out great, but it didn't come out horrible, either. (About 3 years later I re-did it and spray painted it AMT Blue Fog, but that's another story.) When I saw this one on eBay in 2020, it looked so much like my original that I HAD to have it!

66MustangFBGreen03.jpg.65e51be840c1b87e5fc256d18c45f947.jpg

Of course you know I couldn't leave it alone so with just a little 2020 Snake-Fu, I got it looking even more like my old original, but with current Mad Skillz applied: 

66MustangFBGreen12.jpg.1984db69a257e3738631a6d3c8b8492f.jpg

66MustangFBGreen19.jpg.de20a6ce10edd9fb6dede3dc245134d0.jpg

• Like 1

This brings back memories for me. I don’t remember painting any of my early builds as a kid. I started around 7 yrs old. My first paints were from a box of assorted testors colors.  I usually found one color I liked the most and used it for everything. Used way more glue than necessary. I had a bad habit of forgetting to cap the tube of glue too. I do remember using sewing thread for spark plug wires. It didn’t take long for those threads to be full of dust clinging to them. 

2 hours ago, Camaro lover said:

I usually found one color I liked the most and used it for everything. 

Oh yea!  Back in the 1966-68 era I saw the movie "The Yellow Rolls Royce".  It was the first movie I saw as a kid with a hero car.  Thus, every model I built, my Matchbox cars and even my Pinewood Derby car became yellow and black two toned!  

19 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I always painted mine!  Think thick gooey Testors brush paint.  I never had thinner so once I painted something, the brush was toast.  Then I would resort to painting with Q-Tips!  

My neighbor gave us some leftover house paint, IIRC it was oil based and grey. I painted the AMT '56 Ford with it. Used a q-tip as a brush. It laid down smoothly, must have had lead in it. I did a 2-tone, left the top color break bare white plastic. Later on I was able to peel the paint completely off, down to bare plastic again. My dad did a lot of furniture work, so we had access to brush cleaners and thinners. 

This was the very first model I built at age 12. I would mow, weed whack, rake clippings, sweep sidewalks and wash my grandmothers car for which I was paid the handsome sum of $30(a lot of money for a kid 40 years ago) and she would take me to Kmart where they had models for $3.99-$4.99 at the time. My first couple of builds were unpainted (just Testors silver chrome sloppily brushed onto window trim)but one day I was asked if I would repaint her front porch table and chairs so that’s when I discovered spray paint. It’s been all downhill from there 😂🤣😂🤣

IMG_7561.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keef said:

but one day I was asked if I would repaint her front porch table and chairs so that’s when I discovered spray paint. It’s been all downhill from there 😂🤣😂🤣

About 25 years ago I sold my grandparents' house.  As I cleaned out the basement, my eyes went to the floor where there was a perfect outline of a model car body...  where I spray painted a body sitting on the floor back in the 1960s.   

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

About 25 years ago I sold my grandparents' house.  As I cleaned out the basement, my eyes went to the floor where there was a perfect outline of a model car body...  where I spray painted a body sitting on the floor back in the 1960s.   

The memories are all I have left. She passed in the late 90s and the house was sold. I still drive by on occasion and the memories come flooding back.