Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962-1969 Dodge Pick up from Jo-han OLDIES USA LLC

thatz4u

Atomic City Rod & Custom Model Car Resource · AKA  Jo-han OLDIES USA LLC

Jo-Han 62-69 Dodge truck, sneak peek at our soon to be released offering. Built by the master Vern Heizer. comes as a short or long bed. tubbed or standard floor. Early and later model grills optional 3d printed accessories, and more.. stay tuned for the release info...

image.png

• Like 4

Looks pretty good. Guess I'll have to have one.

I bought a real one way back in the early 1980s for $50 because the trans would fall out occasionally and the cooling system leaks had been "fixed" by dumping pepper in it...

Sure wish I'd kept the old girl now.  :(

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks pretty good. Guess I'll have to have one.

I bought a real one way back in the early 1980s for $50 because the trans would fall out occasionally and the cooling system leaks had been "fixed" by dumping pepper in it...

Sure wish I'd kept the old girl now.  :(

Pepper you say?  I remember guys claiming that eggs would work, I wasn't about to try it. There was a product on the market that claimed to have some sort of egg product as part of its make up. Lasted long enough for me to get home before the upper tank seem let go again. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Pepper you say? 

Yup. That was one of the emergency fixes for small holes in a radiator that would actually work for as long as the engine was running.

The flakes would partially plug and slow the leak...but as soon as the system lost pressure from cooling down, it would start to pee again.

Guy musta used a whole box of pepper in mine though...at least enough to stop up the heater core.

And the trans didn't actually fall out. Every so often, it would work loose and the 3-on-the-tree linkage would jam.

Once I replaced all the oddball fasteners (at least 2 huge lag bolts, etc.) that held the manual gearbox to the block (had to re-tap the holes, naturally) with the right stuff, she ran fine...but man, I've rarely seen a rougher looking truck. Slathered-on unsanded bondo with at least 3 different colors of rattlecan green, bright metal trim painted silver with a brush and no masking, that sort of stuff.

But hey...a decently running truck for 50 bucks, a handful of bolts, a radiator, and a few of hours labor...how can you beat it?   B)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. That was one of the emergency fixes for small holes in a radiator that would actually work for as long as the engine was running.

The flakes would partially plug and slow the leak...but as soon as the system lost pressure from cooling down, it would start to pee again.

Guy musta used a whole box of pepper in mine though...at least enough to stop up the heater core.

And the trans didn't actually fall out. Every so often, it would work loose and the 3-on-the-tree linkage would jam.

Once I replaced all the oddball fasteners (at least 2 huge lag bolts, etc.) that held the manual gearbox to the block (had to re-tap the holes, naturally) with the right stuff, she ran fine...but man, I've rarely seen a rougher looking truck. Slathered-on unsanded bondo with at least 3 different colors of rattlecan green, bright metal trim painted silver with a brush and no masking, that sort of stuff.

But hey...a decently running truck for 50 bucks, a handful of bolts, a radiator, and a few of hours labor...how can you beat it?   B)

Your description is similar to more than a few vehicles I have owned. I think having had to make do with some really bad vehicles that were about all we could barely afford made us appreciate our vehicles as we moved on in life. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there a proper website of some kind vs. just a Facebook page? I would be interesting in ordering something once the time comes. Where my Facebook got hijacked last June, I never got around to setting up a new one, and not sure if I really want to.

Charlie Larkin

On 2/13/2024 at 4:12 AM, charlie8575 said:

Is there a proper website of some kind vs. just a Facebook page? I would be interesting in ordering something once the time comes. Where my Facebook got hijacked last June, I never got around to setting up a new one, and not sure if I really want to.

Charlie Larkin

Sure just go buy the kits off Jimmy Flinstone, I'm not sure what exactly this faux-iterarion of "JoHan" plans to add to either of the two JF kits (there's a short bed or a long bed) to make them more value for the dollar than the $120 price tag JF wants for them ("JoHan wants $120 as well based on their FB). You could probably buy them in person at NNL East considering the larger setup JF traditionally has going.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:50 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

You think that's odd?  The early '80s Caddy Eldorados with the HT4100 engines had lots of problems with coolant leaks through head gasket and porous aluminum block.  Solution?  GM officially sold "coolant supplement tablets".  They were made from ground up ginger root and walnut shells. Might have been some Turmeric in them too. They were compressed into what the Caddy owners called "turds".   They were brown things that looked the part.  I'm not making it up.  As I recall, ginger root fibers expand when they dry, so when they lodged themselves into the voids, they dried up on the outside, expanding and sealing the leak. Kind of like a Dutch  boy sticking a finger in a dyke leak.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 3:52 PM, peteski said:

You think that's odd?  The early '80s Caddy Eldorados with the HT4100 engines had lots of problems with coolant leaks through head gasket and porous aluminum block.  Solution?  GM officially sold "coolant supplement tablets".  They were made from ground up ginger toot and walnut shells. Might have been some Turmeric in them too. They were compressed into what the Caddy owners called "turds".   They were brown things that looked the part.  I'm not making it up.  As I recall, ginger root fibers expand when they dry, so when they lodged themselves into the voids, they dried up on the outside, expanding and sealing the leak. Kind of like a Dutch  boy sticking a finger in a dyke leak.

I think about those lizard droppings periodically - today was one of those days. IIRC, they were (still are ?) manufactured by / sold under the Bars Leaks product line ; a G.M. part number was assigned to them as well. 

Why is it that every image of the HT-4100 is of an exploded view ?

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I think about those lizard droppings periodically - today was one of those days. IIRC, they were (still are ?) manufactured by / sold under the Bars Leaks product line ; a G.M. part number was assigned to them as well. 

Why is it that every image of the HT-4100 is of an exploded view ?

Yes, those are GM and Bars Leaks turds are the same stuff.  GM had them repackaged in a GM-branded blister packs. I have both versions (since I own a 1985 Eldorado). Sctually the slang name was "dog turds". They are a bit large for lizard droppings, unless you mean Komodo Dragon.  :D

Edited by peteski
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...