Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Mille Miglia Mercedes 300SLR

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Well right now it's painful for me to look at it. My best yet brush painted job was a touch on the dark side and got worse (darker) after I put the clear on. I mistakenly proceeded with decals and just could not bear to look at it. I then dropped the body and one of the fragile rear fenders broke. Sanded off the decals and started repairs. I have to find ways to regain motivation for this one...

300SLR wip63.jpg

300SLR wip64.jpg

Oh no, but keep your head up, the world isn't ending, at least not because of that. I had just painted and striped my Cobra and when I removed the masking tape the paint came out. I used what felt like a square mile of sandpaper.

Edited by Mittagskind

That's the most amazing brush work I've seen Pierre. "What ever doesn't kill you makes you...blah, blah, blah....."

I had a similar reaction to a silver finish and clear but never figured out why.

1 hour ago, Allan31 said:

Phew.... Good save. I vote for weathering as I do on my models.

Thanks Allan. Your Momo 935 has just the right amount of weathering and inspires me to give it a try... but a lot needs to be done before I cross that bridge.

2 hours ago, charlie libby said:

Car looks great pierre.going to be awesome when its done,glad u didnt give up

Thank you Charlie for following. It is back on track. I'm gonna try to finish this silly Ferrari SWB thing asap and then devote my attention to the SLR. Lots to do!

1 hour ago, 1959scudetto said:

Pierre, the lighter shade of color makes the body look even better than before - this is going to be great ! Any idea when Jason will have the outlaced spoke wheels ready?

I think so too. Jason still has 2 other requests to process before he takes on the outlawed wheels. I'd rather wait than settle for anything else.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear of your paint/body woes. That paint was looking great, but I agree, too dark. The new paint looks great, too. Glad to see you recover from the drop. It can be tough sometimes, but I'm glad you stuck with it. This is going to be a fantastic old racer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Hupin (Jack Modeling) has taken on the design of out-laced wheels for this project and here is his latest design iteration. I think we are there but please comment if you think we have missed something. The idea is to design and print a wheel that would also be a good fit for other cars (Maserati, Ferrari etc) that used out-laced Borranis.

First pic is for comparison/reference, then the design from Jason. Next step will be printing prototypes.

Jantes Borrani JPEG.011.jpg

Jantes Borrani JPEG.012.jpg

• Like 1

Looks very good, Pierre - I think there is something great coming (as are the Borrani wheels Jason developed last year). A great benefit which could broaden the interest and of course the area of application when it is not restricted to only the MB 300 SLR but even others which look very similar - here is to prove a pic taken just now from 2 of my books: 300 SLR (left) and Ferrari 250 LM (long nose, right) - a compromise I could definitely live with!

P1080593.JPG

Edited by 1959scudetto

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Looks very good, Pierre - I think there is something great coming (as are the Borrani wheels Jason developed last year). A great benefit which could broaden the interest and of course the area of application when it is not restricted to only the MB 300 SLR but even others which look very similar - here is to prove a pic taken just now from 2 of my books: 300 SLR (left) and Ferrari 250 LM (long nose, right) - a compromise I could definitely live with!

P1080593.JPG

I agree. The idea is a multi use outside laced Borrani style wheel (just change the spinners). The data I provided Jason with included some Ferrari and Maserati wheels so all of it got gelled into this design. There were actually multiple iterations of out-laced Borranis out there, all similar but not quite identical. Focus was on getting the spokes properly oriented and getting the right look on the offset of the first row (not to flat or neither too coned out)

Waiting to see if others have input to provide then I will ask Jason to proceed with prototypes.

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2