Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Hippie Hemi

Yeah Nah

Nice. That chassis and engine is originally from the Don Garlits Wynnsjammer kit. One of the best 392 Hemis ever offered in 1/25th scale IMHO. It has a crankshaft (and a clear oil pan) as well as blower rotor blades and separate pulleys and rubber blower belt. The original issue also had a clear body. That kit was also issued as the HemiSphere without a clear body a few years ago... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, geemoney said:

so clean!

is that a gen 1 hemi?

Thanks for commenting Michel.

Regarding if it's a gen 1 hemi or not my knowledge of such things is very limited! But it looks like the above post by Steamboat has answered for you.

Edited by Yeah Nah

1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Nice. That chassis and engine is originally from the Don Garlits Wynnsjammer kit. One of the best 392 Hemis ever offered in 1/25th scale IMHO. It has a crankshaft (and a clear oil pan) as well as blower rotor blades and separate pulleys and rubber blower belt. The original issue also had a clear body. That kit was also issued as the HemiSphere without a clear body a few years ago... -RRR

Thanks for that info RRR. 

I never bothered with the internal engine details and painted over the clear oil pan as not much could be seen of either when mounted in this model.

The blower belt looks pretty cool but assuming the pulleys would be under a bit of strain I made sure they were solidly mounted.  

Edited by Yeah Nah

1 hour ago, Steamboat said:

Beautiful build. 

Did you change the rocker covers?  They are from a gen 1 hemi, either a Dodge 315 or 331.

Thanks Bill. Apart from basic wiring everything is as what comes with the kit.

8 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Nice looking build! I've always thought about getting this and some of the other "fluff" kits to build for fun but never have. You're making me think again.

Later-

Thanks Tom. I'll only ever buy them if they're on special and the price is low. They usually sit in the stash ignored for years then for some reason one day I'll have a spark of interest and build one. I still have Infiniti-T, Stingaree, and that stretch Digger Cuda thingy to do but don't hold your breath waiting!