Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who all had extra parts for many years

I just received two beer keg gas tanks the sender had for over 50 years,a couple years ago I finally used the optional Olds engine from the 40 Ford sedan in a 40 standard coupe I built with sedan parts.  I built the kit it came from in 73 or 74.   I had put that Olds engine in a few models that I pieced together with junk parts that ended up being used for parts but the engine I kept,it had so many coats of paint and almost got put in the trash since I had another that was not painted but since I had it so long it had to be used.

Wayyyyyy back in 1995, a fellow modeler was lamenting about his lack of spare parts. 

He hadn't  been building for very long ( about 2 years, and not a lot of models)

I told him I had some spare parts I could give him, and told him to bring his dad's pickup.

I gave him 1 ( one) Box of parts ....

it was a refrigerator  box 6 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot ( these measurements are a best guess, you all know how big a fridge  is. )

I never even noticed them missing.

• Haha 4

25 years ago my mom wanted to clean the attic and basement (model room) in my childhood home. It took 3 small driveway dumpsters. One half of one dumpster was full of model kits built and not as well as boxes of parts and supplies. My brother and I kept a few of our built kits but everything else went to the dump. Got back into building about 5 years ago and had to start over. Should could use that spare parts box now.

• Like 1

I'm not even completely sure where all mine came from.  I've bought some, got some included with some kits.  I've got a big drawer full and I haven't even been back into building cars all that long.  I've got the front section that's just tires, and the back section is everything else.  

I had a decent sized box filled with spare parts - everything from engine blocks to radiator hoses and oil filters. Had another with tires of all.kinds with wheel backs and rims of all sorts. Tossed them when I moved in my house in 1998. Didn't think I was going to return to this hobby then. Now I wished I hadn't tossed them in the trash.

I had another box filled with militaria spares - missiles, belly tanks, bombs, wheels, stowage items, etc...

I have a couple of hefty bags full of parts that came from two liquidated collections. I am pretty sure there probably some complete kits in there, but I have not sorted it out! And yes, this is on top of my own spares collection! 

As a kid, my mom worked in a department store and would bring home large coat boxes with a separate lid. I had 2 of those full of model parts. When I was bored and broke, I could build something out of just the spare parts. Those went adios at some point in time.

One guy I know has a fantastic inventory of parts he has collected. On excel spreadsheets and categorized bins. I believe he is a tad on the OCD side. Another guy who left the club also collected ANYTHING that people were getting rid of. He would rummage through boxes at shows, something that I cannot do. But one man's garbage is another man's gold.

• Thanks 1

In the early '70s, all my modeling stuff, as well as a couple of tons of vintage real-car parts, went away when my lovely significant other quit paying the $25 monthly bill for the storage stall while I was out of the country on an extended working holiday. ;)

I've only been back in the hobby since the early 2000s when a friend gave me some kits he was going to toss otherwise. One thing led to another, and today I have a sizable hoard of all kinds of hobby stuff.

I've never taken the time to really inventory spare or loose parts, but do try to keep them reasonably well organized as to what they are.

And I'm not shy about digging through bins at shows to find the perfect whatever I'm sure I'll use someday.  B)

I used to have a 45 gallon tote full with f spare parts, tires, wheels, etc. I started buying those small multi drawer storage containers and separating them out, then I sold everything I had a few years back, BIG mistake!!

52 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

In the early '70s, all my modeling stuff, as well as a couple of tons of vintage real-car parts, went away when my lovely significant other quit paying the $25 monthly bill for the storage stall while I was out of the country on an extended working holiday. ;)

I think I saw someone buy that on “storeage wars” for like $100. 😈

• Haha 6

I think I still have some small parts that I had for over 40 years but that engine I used a couple years ago was the last of the larger parts I had for over 40 years I had since they were new. I have plenty of old parts mainly from the Monogram 34 and 40 pickups kits but someone else had held on to them for many years and I just recently got them.

I had a great number of old kits and parts at my dad's house in the basement. The house was being sold and I said I would be back in 2 days with some boxes, to take it all to my house. I show up and everything is GONE. Down to a completely empty basement and my step mother knew nothing about it. Nobody liked her anyway...

I had two or three print paper boxes full of bodies, parts and glue bombs. Then I came across a privately owned collectibles store that was going out of business and for $50 bought 12 or 13 boxes of more model junk, enough to fill the bed of my Ford Ranger. I was able to sort and organize them down to about three full totes. Unfortunately, most of the parts are not "good" parts; glue marred, cut up, busted bits, melted, etc, and none of it very collectible, but some decent loose bodies. Fun to scrounge through.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:45 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

I had a decent sized box filled with spare parts - everything from engine blocks to radiator hoses and oil filters. Had another with tires of all.kinds with wheel backs and rims of all sorts. Tossed them when I moved in my house in 1998. Didn't think I was going to return to this hobby then. Now I wished I hadn't tossed them in the trash.

I had another box filled with militaria spares - missiles, belly tanks, bombs, wheels, stowage items, etc...

I did the same thing back about 1991 when we moved to where I live now. Decided it was time to quit building model cars and threw boxes full of tires, wheels, engines, interior parts etc, etc, in the burn pile. Never thought I might get back into building someday or I’d have kept it all. I’d kick my own a** if I could.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:58 AM, bobss396 said:

As a kid, my mom worked in a department store and would bring home large coat boxes with a separate lid. I had 2 of those full of model parts. When I was bored and broke, I could build something out of just the spare parts. Those went adios at some point in time.

One guy I know has a fantastic inventory of parts he has collected. On excel spreadsheets and categorized bins. I believe he is a tad on the OCD side. Another guy who left the club also collected ANYTHING that people were getting rid of. He would rummage through boxes at shows, something that I cannot do. But one man's garbage is another man's gold.

bobss396 you sound like me when I was a kid I to had box's of model parts with me when revelle models came out with those $1. party pack I really want crazy they had things that AMT didn't have this was in the early 60s eventually things do get thrown out unfortunately. I'm kicking myself now because I think about all those parts and what I could do today so now I'm starting on a new collection and another new kit collecting the kids that I had back then I still have those didn't get thrown away those are put away like a original AC Cobra kit a original 32 all three. I wish AMT would make a 36 Victoria I would buy it in a heartbeat. Have you bought or built any of the Galaxy unlimited models?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:25 PM, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

bobss396 you sound like me when I was a kid I to had box's of model parts with me when revelle models came out with those $1. party pack I really want crazy they had things that AMT didn't have this was in the early 60s eventually things do get thrown out unfortunately. I'm kicking myself now because I think about all those parts and what I could do today so now I'm starting on a new collection and another new kit collecting the kids that I had back then I still have those didn't get thrown away those are put away like a original AC Cobra kit a original 32 all three. I wish AMT would make a 36 Victoria I would buy it in a heartbeat. Have you bought or built any of the Galaxy unlimited models?

I recently picked up 2 Galaxy 1948 Chevy kits for a good price, I just looked inside one of them. It seems to be a great kit. The decals on both kits were toast, I found replacements online.

I have virtually no spare parts compared to you guys. My grandpa and dad gave all their kits they had to me. I got all of my dad's kits because my grandma was so kind to ceep all of them in their basement while he was in college, but all of them were finished models and pretty nice ones to. But my Grandpa's were a different story. From what he told me he had a lot of kits and some pretty rare ones to. His mom also kept his for him,  but he eventually gave most of them to his nephew who was sadly not into model building, but that was before he knew he was going to have my Dad who was quite into building models. Unfortunately later in life my grandpa asked his sister in law what happened to his models, she said they were all sold at a garage sale. All I got were 6 kits and a model box full of broken parts that for some reason he kept.

On 2/15/2024 at 6:01 AM, bobss396 said:

I recently picked up 2 Galaxy 1948 Chevy kits for a good price, I just looked inside one of them. It seems to be a great kit. The decals on both kits were toast, I found replacements online.

I bought the Galaxy sedan delivery the 46 to 48 Chevrolet seeing that they came out with a coupe now I want it but Galaxy I think are one of the best in detail I also bought their fifth wheel trailer that is a nice kit.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:37 PM, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I bought the Galaxy sedan delivery the 46 to 48 Chevrolet seeing that they came out with a coupe now I want it but Galaxy I think are one of the best in detail I also bought their fifth wheel trailer that is a nice kit.

IIRC both kits were out at the same time. My brother did a box stock SD and it came out great. They were $25 in stores at the time, now I haven't seen one in many years. I doubt they are still being made.

• Like 1