Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sanding Cloth, Sponge, etc

I'm tired of buying the pack of sand paper from Hobby Lobby for $10 and only using a few sheets.  I tried some of the Micro-Mesh pads but they are to thick and stiff to work with.  I'm looking for some thin flexibility sheets to wet sand with.  What are you guys using?

I've been using the tamiya sanding sponges to prep 3d prints. They are a little thicker than the micro mesh pads but much more flexible and can be scrunched into fairly tight balls for doing corners and edges. I haven't tried them wet but i see no reason they wouldn't work. The spnges are about 6 x 8 inch and start at 400 grit i think. They seem to last well when used dry as i've been using them on everything since december. I've also been gluing small pieces of wet n dry to coffee stirrers when i need into tight areas or a specific shape. It uses up those little pieces we all accumulate and i think works better than the albion alloys sanding sticks. There are other brands of the sanding sponges available too and they all appear to be the same but i haven't tried them. Also, i only have the 600 and 1500 grit ones but fully intend getting more of them when the shop gets some in again. The drawback to the sponges is they aren't as much use for flat areas as they are very much softer then the micro mesh pads. It closer to a thin firm dish cloth/sponge in feel and pliability

Like Les, I highly recommend the Tamiya sanding sponges. Unfortunately, they only run up to 3000 grit, so they're mainly good for body work as opposed to pre-polish wet sanding. But I have wet sanded with them and they work fine. For final detailing prior to polishing, I use GodHand sanding sponges. They are available in various thickness and are very flexible. 

5 minutes ago, Musclecarbuilder said:

Just a personal preference.  I don't like paying Amazon a cut.  For many years now(at least 15) I have dealt directly with the manufacture, Micro Surface.  They have a very comprehensive catalogue and will sell directly to anyone.  I buy their sanding sticks in packs of 50 but you can buy just a few.  I just buy a lot just to reduce the shipping cost. 

They have a huge variety of products from cloth to sponges in abrasives down to 12000.  Get what you want, not what someone packaged for you. 

By the way, they started out selling abrasives to polish aircraft canopies.

Here's the direct link.

https://micro-surface.com/

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Pete J. said:

Just a personal preference.  I don't like paying Amazon a cut.  For many years now(at least 15) I have dealt directly with the manufacture, Micro Surface.  They have a very comprehensive catalogue and will sell directly to anyone.  I buy their sanding sticks in packs of 50 but you can buy just a few.  I just buy a lot just to reduce the shipping cost. 

They have a huge variety of products from cloth to sponges in abrasives down to 12000.  Get what you want, not what someone packaged for you. 

By the way, they started out selling abrasives to polish aircraft canopies.

Here's the direct link.

https://micro-surface.com/

Oh sweet! Thanks! I'll get my polishing stuff from them from now on.

I use 3M, Mirka, or Klingspor real-car wet-or-dry sandpaper up to 2500 grit, whatever I have in stock, and finish up with Micro-Mesh pads if necessary...and frankly, as I'm not averse to hand-polishing with liquid compounds, I find I rarely need to go to the ultra-fine grits of abrasives like Micro-Mesh offers.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I do my color-sanding with Detail Master DM9000 products. The DM9000 is the whole system from 3200-12,000 grits. I buy odd sheets like 1500, 1800 and 2400. 

I find that with the thicker pads, it is too easy to wrap around a detail and blow through the paint, YMMV. I use the thick pads for sanding bare plastic before prime and paint.