Model Cars Magazine Forum

What interrupts your build time?

What do(did for the retired folk) you do for a living? I restore electric motors for older cars. My website is www.headlightmotorman.com I've been doing this for 20 years this year, 4 years full time. Every time I sit down at the model bench I'm constantly thinking about what needs to be done at the motor bench 😳

20211029_085133.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TopherMcGinnis said:

... Every time I sit down at the model bench I'm constantly thinking about what needs to be done at the motor bench 😳

Yeah...though I've been "officially" retired for a number of years, I still work pretty much full time.

I'm WAY behind on my last two client projects, and I have a really hard time doing anything much for pleasure with a clear conscience.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

That wiper motor looks great! I bet that you're doing a huge service to those restoring the classic cars......... Some folks would rather keep an original part instead of just replacing it.

Thank You. 95% of my customers want their motor/numbers/date code back. I do custom ones as well.

20240104_123840.jpg

20231210_165405.jpg

20230629_180113.jpg

20220607_090050.jpg

• Like 4

I work in the Aerospace industry. A lot of what I do is classified so I can't go into detail. On the side I still putz around with old Fords for customers, finishing up a Model A Phaeton & about to start working on a '32 Model B Ford. Been messing around with old Fords for 45 years, I don't see that changing anytime soon!

IMG_20240214_112326668.jpg

• Like 3

I run the receiving team for a distribution center. I can honestly say, yes work does play a factor... but mainly it's life in general.

Family, personal life, work, obligations, band, weather, health... just life.

Lack of motivation and a growing disinterest lately. Sometimes I just stand there and stare at my stash. I work in the sign and graphics printing industry and it always seems to keep me busy. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, TopherMcGinnis said:

What do(did for the retired folk) you do for a living? I restore electric motors for older cars. My website is www.headlightmotorman.com I've been doing this for 20 years this year, 4 years full time. Every time I sit down at the model bench I'm constantly thinking about what needs to be done at the motor bench 😳

20211029_085133.jpg

...........I think I got my 3 speed Coronet R/T motor from you.........years ago

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

I'm retired now so not too many interruptions.........except the wife.....constantly.........never ending 😛 

Not retired yet, but our wives may be related!! 😂🤣

• Haha 2

What interrupts my build time?

Basically everything.

I'm the fleet manager for a Ford dealership, so that takes up my days, Monday through Friday.

We have a house, so there's always something. Whether mowing the lawn, yard work, shovelling snow, cleaning gutters, fishing ear rings out of sink drains, changing lightbulbs, or ay multitude of tasks required as a homeowner.

We have cars. Currently 5 of them, so there's always something. Car wash, gas station, minor repairs, and sometimes fun stuff.

We have kids. The boy is old enough that I don't need to worry about him. But of course as a parent, I still do. Daughter is still in high school, dances competitively, takes lessons, and teaches lessons, so that's like 5 days a week, so we're always driving her around. Plus I'm teaching her to drive, so soon she'll be driving herself around.

I have a wife, so we need time together as well. 

We have a big dog that requires exercise. And with the boy in university, his evenings are full of studying and whatnot, and my wife and daughter aren't comfortable handling our dog (she's a strong puller) so I take her out in the evenings and on weekends.

And I have other hobbies.

I squeeze in bench time wherever I can.

• Like 2

Working 4- 11 hour days and then a 6 hour day on Friday. I could work another 11 day on friday but I do not much anymore. 31 years at this shop and 5 years at the one bofore that. Both Over timme shops. 

A small house on an acre of yard to mow. I also mpw my step mpther grass after Dad passed. 

Just about over this JOB thing we find we have to do.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am retired metal inspector. I checked and approved incoming steel we used to make chain and  received other item. I worked in a lab 1/2 the day and 1/2 the day outside inspecting steel and collecting samples..  I enjoyed it.  Now what gets in the way of building is just not feeling good and MS  acting up.

• Sad 1

I work as a manager for a onsultant company in the technical sector, my group do mechanical engineering and projects within the mining industry in the far north of Sweden.

Other than that my family is a priority of mine and also the house needs its attention.

image.thumb.jpeg.65598bf2a6f6555939e66d1cda2328f4.jpeg

Pressentationsbild1.jpg.578e358472647862cad439cedbe60908.jpg

2020-11-02_13-39-30.jpg.0a10d5b4a017ea9468257f0e85081700.jpg

Edited by Mattilacken
  • Like 5

I'm currently unemployed so most of my time has been spent job hunting and wasting time on courses i've already done. I had more time to build when i was working but some of my lack of time has been taken up with health issues which has also affected the jobs i can do. None of the jos i have experience in are suitable now so trying to find something that is has been a hassle. There is a proper independent hobby shop opening sometime so i've been learning what i can about other crafts to help with applying for it. So mostly i've been training for a job i want but isn't even advertised yet as the building isn't finished but thats where my model buuilding time has gone.