Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 GTO Convertible

karbuildr

Yup, it's that  GTO convertible kit. The tried and true AMT kit, warts and all. Not a lot of detail in these kits, but they make ok shelf models. I've built 4 or 5 in different colors. This one was sprayed in Testors Enamel Blue Angels Blue # tes1772, FS 15050. Over coated with Testors Boyds Enamel High Gloss Clear. I believe both of these paints got the axe in one of the Model Master purges. I added a little detail in the engine compartment. Truthfully, there isn't much that can be done with this kit without major parts swapping from other kits. The interior was sprayed with an older can of Plasti-Kote metallic red, number and name unknown.

DSCN1335a.jpg

DSCN1336a.jpg

DSCN1338a.jpg

DSCN1341a.jpg

DSCN1345a.jpg

• Like 13

11 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

Good to know. I have a sealed kit that I haven't opened, along with the rebuilder I mentioned

It's an easy kit to build, and with a bit of work, makes a nice shelf model. I built one in red, one in yellow, another in gold, and a black one but the black one was damaged in a previous move. It looks like the current issue has the Hurst mags but the ones I built did not.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

I recently picked up a copy of this kit from eBay. Glad to hear not too much trouble to build. Did it actually not come with sun visors?

My kit was an older issue, and none of the ones I built came with sun visors. Later issues may have but I can't say for sure. I know this kit has had a bit of a checkered history in the past, so there's no telling what else might have been done over the years.

Edited by karbuildr
  • Thanks 1