Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964, Brissette FED. 1:16, brass, scale build.

Hello folks, been a while since my last post. Recently, a 'show your early FEDs' post came about. Here one of my faves. Scale build, original plans. Brass chassis, laced wire fronts, motor is CompResins, just heavily bashed. Brass body, paint is H of K. I like the smell, lol. This model was built maybe 6 or more years ago. I'm 73, but still doing it.  Scale models forever!  Thank you for looking. Mike..

21.JPG

22.jpg

23.JPG

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

b4.jpg

b7.jpg

-IMG_3535.jpg

• Like 12

On 3/5/2024 at 2:00 AM, Nitro330 said:

I love the old FED's and your craftsmanship is outstanding.  Thanks for sharing this awesome build!

Hello Terry, very kind of you. FEDs, simple machines, form and function, no frills. I love 'em!  Mike..

On 3/10/2024 at 9:18 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Beautiful build. Chassis frame in brass and the detailed engine really look good. The thin wire wheels are something to behold adding to the realism.

Thanks much. I do feel, small things can make our models look better on the shelf. Just try to go another step forward!  Mike..

I'm very happy to see this beauty resurface Mike!

I remember seeing you working and posting your updates on this one and it was a great source of information (and still is) for anyone who loves brass construction and ways to work with this wonderful material.  The effect of the red paint on the bare brass is incredible and your wheels are pure art, the way you went about making them is just brilliant. 👌

17 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I'm very happy to see this beauty resurface Mike!

I remember seeing you working and posting your updates on this one and it was a great source of information (and still is) for anyone who loves brass construction and ways to work with this wonderful material.  The effect of the red paint on the bare brass is incredible and your wheels are pure art, the way you went about making them is just brilliant. 👌

Hello Francis!  Oh my,  I've forgotten to have shown this car previously! Meantime, other brass cars are finished. 

I agree, the House of Kolors paint on brass can be very interesting.  Still, older now, good paint has to smell! After all, we're painting metal. Mike..

On 3/30/2024 at 7:35 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I missed this, until now. Sorry I did, too! As always, your metalwork is superb! She's a beauty, my friend!

Hi Daniel, this is Roger Lee's car, being the Brissette car from '64 to '65, original plans from Roger. You know how this works out. Thanks for commenting.  Just one thing now, gotta love simple fuel dragsters, 1965!  Mike..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Hi Daniel, this is Roger Lee's car, being the Brissette car from '64 to '65, original plans from Roger. You know how this works out. Thanks for commenting.  Just one thing now, gotta love simple fuel dragsters, 1965!  Mike..

I recognized it as Riceman's digger! I know exactly how it works out! Better get out the micrometer!😁

Oh man, I hear that! This went on for 2 cars. Then suddenly, in my opinion, excessive and unnecessary critique came about, proving these attacks to be unwarranted.  This angle is not right, tubing too thick, the bend is way off....oh my! Yet I only answered with pics of his own, original plans.

Daniel, I finally bailed out, offering effusive thanks.  True is, a fantastic scratch build modeler and very helpful real race guy. I'm very grateful for the experience. I don't build out of scale. For a lower rear hoop on the chassis, wanting to be real scale, I found a perfect material!  Coat hanger wire!  Solders up nicely with the usual stuff!  Just saying. Thanks for commenting.  Mike..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh man, I hear that! This went on for 2 cars. Then suddenly, in my opinion, excessive and unnecessary critique came about, proving these attacks to be unwarranted.  This angle is not right, tubing too thick, the bend is way off....oh my! Yet I only answered with pics of his own, original plans.

Daniel, I finally bailed out, offering effusive thanks.  True is, a fantastic scratch build modeler and very helpful real race guy. I'm very grateful for the experience. I don't build out of scale. For a lower rear hoop on the chassis, wanting to be real scale, I found a perfect material!  Coat hanger wire!  Solders up nicely with the usual stuff!  Just saying. Thanks for commenting.  Mike..

When I started building my Surfers' chassis, based on Roger's advice regarding a tubing diameter, I took my spring-micrometer to a craft store, and measured every spool of brass jewelry wire, until I found .055"! Eventually, I met his approval, but it took about three rebuilds. Truth is, Roger lee is likely the only guy who would ever notice that a chassis tube is a few thousandths off. But, like you say--that's important, to us! I'll get this thing back out, before too awful long...

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg