Model Cars Magazine Forum

'81 "Fictitious" Z/28

ReduitRetro

Although GM was experimenting with turbocharging a variety of naturally aspirated engines at the time in search of performance, the only two that made it to production was Buick's 231(3.8 litre) V6 developed in the late 70's, and Pontiac's 301(4.9 litre) V8 that showed up in late 1980 to be used in the '81 Firebird Turbo Trans Am. This engine however was exclusive and optional only to the Firebird and was never actually offered in its cousin the Chevy Camaro. I guess someone at Monogram Models back in the day did not get the memo, or was led to believe this version of the Z/28 would make it to production...it indeed did not. The kit however is a nice one though if you're looking for a nice second generation Camaro build. It is however the oddball 1/20th scale, and generally is just a "rebodied" Trans Am kit that Monogram also offered back then. Anyway, thanks for looking!

2024-03-15 15.44.58.jpg

2024-03-15 15.48.11.jpg

2024-03-15 15.51.21.jpg

2024-03-15 15.50.12.jpg

2024-03-15 15.52.30.jpg

2024-03-15 16.00.40.jpg

2024-03-15 15.41.11.jpg

• Like 14

Thar's a great looking build all around and nice work weathering the turbo charging unit. Decals also look great and guessing they're the originals? It's a pretty rare kit though and they seem to command an obvious premium. 

Turned out splendid. About 30 years ago I built a 1/16 Turbo Trans Am kit. I believe it was by MPC. I no longer have the model as I gave it away to the young son of a friend shortly after building it.

Beautiful finish, and nice decal application. That's a sharp looking engine bay too. Do you have a picture of the model's box or information on when it was released? This is the first time I've seen or heard of this kit and I'd be interested to learn a little more about it. Thanks!