Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures&info from Round 2 announcements; detailed looks at '64 Malibu and Charger Police Pursuit...

Tim, When I saw the chassis on the new Chevy kit, it just popped into my mind, that the '65 El Camino would be a good donor for a drag car.

I've rounded up a 5 of HPI Guy's video reviews on kits that I think would make good parts donors for the new kit, if you want to make a drag machine.  I know many members may not know or remember exactly what parts are in what kits, so these video's should give a quick overview. I can give no guarantee that the parts are drop in swaps. My Guess is that there will be a lot of fettling to make things work, but the end result should be some cool cars! I included the '63, because it has the option for a Fuel Injected Six Cyl, which would make a Unique Racer.

Hope this helps!

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Also, earlier AWD Chargers on the older (Pre-2015 facelift) cars didn't have a specific AWD rim.  It was the 2015+ cars that got bigger brakes that necessitated a different rim package than the RWD cars which continued to use the same brake size (and rims) from the 2006+ cars.

The AWD "package" with the updated brakes and wheels debuted for the 2014 model year, the last year before the facelift. Definitely makes spotting a 2014 model easy.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:59 AM, iamsuperdan said:

As for Bronco, the 4dr is definitely more popular.

In fact, here are the stats for 2023 model year.

Outer Banks hits that sweet spot between features and pricing. 

Have you received any with the Heritage Edition package? I saw my first one in the wild last week at our local dealership. I guess i missed the news that they were even doing those. It's just an appearance package right? My wife is in love with it (Robins Egg blue with white top), but we just got our Bronco in June so it's way too soon to trade ours in 😋

On 3/26/2024 at 9:59 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Totally agree on Charger. Why go with the RT over the SRT or Hellcat versions?

As for Bronco, the 4dr is definitely more popular.

In fact, here are the stats for 2023 model year.

image.jpeg

Outer Banks hits that sweet spot between features and pricing. 

The top 6 selling models are all 4 doors. And 4 door models made up 86.5% of all Bronco sales in 2023.

So AMT's decision to do the 2dr first still seems odd to me. I like it, I have a handful in my stash, and I'm sure I'll get a few more. But it still seems odd.

Those 2023 Bronco mix numbers are very interesting, and a little surprising to be honest.    

I recall that early on hearing after the product launch that the total 2-door mix was running in the 30% range.  Still, pretty typical for products like these to migrate to a more typical "use" purchase over a "style" priority during the middle years of a multi-year lifestage, and the Bronco is now in its fourth year of production. 

As for the choice of the two-door over four door for the model kit, historically in the 1/25th scale world, two-door kit versions of anything that was also available as a 1/1 four door have almost always been the preference of the kit buying public.  And remember that the decision of which bodystlye to use for the kit came before the real vehicle was out, not what would now be five years later today. The thought also occurs that perhaps there is still institutional recall of the mid 1990s when AMT-Ertl offered kits of both the two-door S-10 Blazer and four-door Explorer.  In the 1/1 scale those years, the four door Explorer outsold the two door Blazer by a huge multiple, but I wonder what the comparative kit sales were.  If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the 2-door Blazer outselling the 4-door Explorer.  Anyone have the facts on this?    

All speculation aside, personally I'm glad Round 2 chose the two-door for the kit.  But that is just my opinion, nothing more.  Plus, who knows what Round 2 has up their sleeve for the future?  I sure don't...TB  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the 2-door Blazer outselling the 4-door Explorer.  Anyone have the facts on this?

If you want to further muddy those waters AMT *did* make a 4 Door Blazer as part of the SnapFast Plus "unassembled promo" series of kits.

AMT-6651-2.jpg.c7632140e0c0df0ab713d6f2c6ba94b1.jpg

That entire kit series is an interesting set of "why not just make regular models of that?" business decisions. Especially considering the fact that those trucks - Dually Dodge, 2500 Silverado, this Blazer and Tahoe tend to be the most sought after since they fall under the whole "Made for AMT, not by AMT." so they can't be reissued.

In real time the SFP kits probably sold in orders of magnitude less than the glue kits because even in 2024 Snap kits are looked down on as toys regardless to the part count. That doesn't even get into the static Round2 gets over the current situation Craftsmen Plus subjects being curbside.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

If you want to further muddy those waters AMT *did* make a 4 Door Blazer as part of the SnapFast Plus "unassembled promo" series of kits.

That entire kit series is an interesting set of "why not just make regular models of that?" business decisions. Especially considering the fact that those trucks - Dually Dodge, 2500 Silverado, this Blazer and Tahoe tend to be the most sought after since they fall under the whole "Made for AMT, not by AMT." so they can't be reissued.

In real time the SFP kits probably sold in orders of magnitude less than the glue kits because even in 2024 Snap kits are looked down on as toys regardless to the part count. That doesn't even get into the static Round2 gets over the current situation Craftsmen Plus subjects being curbside.

Good catch, James.  I sure didn't know about that one....TB

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I remember this one being reissued, but it was still under the prior owner of the Amt, Mpc and Ertl brands.

image.png.40ed129c4408afb6555f4d35bca02443.png

So when Round2 took over the tooling of previously mentioned brands, these were not part of the deal or just forgotten about.

I already regret selling that extra Dodge Ram snapper I had.

Also a pitty Amt/Ertl at the time didn't follow thru with their full detail kit of the Ram Sport truck, which didn't go further than the body buck, Revell's Ram VTS Show truck probably axed it

Cheers

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

13 hours ago, tim boyd said:

historically in the 1/25th scale world, two-door kit versions of anything that was also available as a 1/1 four door have almost always been the preference of the kit buying public. 

IMHO, you're selling a dream, one which one can't own in real life due to practical reasons, like having a family. 

How many two doors went out the door when the first child was born, only to regret selling it when the kids went out the door.

In other cases it's all about the dream "if I was a rich man, race or rally driver" and not stuck in this boring nine-to-five job; Exotics, WRC, Nascar, etc...

But then there's nostalgia too, which makes annual kits built as a kid come back. Still, I also wonder if reminiscing that old family 4dr. or wagon would be equally as strong or stronger incentive to wanna buy a model or model kit of one's past family history. IMHO a good way to test this would be releasing the Super Natural Impy as a regular Impala, tooling up new wheels and bench seat.

Yeah...I know I'm getting of track here, but always nice to brainstorm over stuff like this ;)

Cheers

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I remember this one being reissued, but it was still under the prior owner of the Amt, Mpc and Ertl brands.

image.png.40ed129c4408afb6555f4d35bca02443.png

So when Round2 took over the tooling of previously mentioned brands, these were not part of the deal or just forgotten about.

That particular reissue of the Tahoe was done by reboxing old inventory of the promos, not by running the molds. Hence the disclaimer on the box of random plastic colours.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 12:57 AM, 1972coronet said:

To add a couple of points to @tim boyd's history of the STAGE V , and the mention of the different exhaust between the two versions of the '71 Charger :
- The STAGE V Hemi conversion was also available for the B-Engines (350-361-383-400). I seem to remember that headers intended for the 426 Hemi were required ( 426 Hemi exhaust manifolds were - still are - an expensive item ).
- The turn down exhaust tips ( colloq. "California Exhaust" ) weren't required on every engine option, but are indeed correct for a 440 Magnum / Super Commando equipped 1971 Charger (just as likely, 1968-1970 as well ) . It was what's known as Noise Reduction Package (sales code 'N97'), and it almost always follows sales code 'N95' California Emissions Package. Oftentimes, cars with N95 / N97 are incorrectly restored, their owners adding the bright exhaust tips during the "restoration". 

I'd like to add a bit to John's and Tim's postings here:

Chrysler handled things like "California emissions", bright exhaust tips or their absence differently over the years or between different car lines (b-body/e-body for example). For 1971 Dodge Chargers the N42 bright exhaust tips ("machine gun tips") were an option except for cars equipped with the Hemi engine. For the latter they were a "required option" which you had to pay for. They were an option on all Super Bees and R/Ts and on the 440 version of the SE. They were not allowed at all in California. So technically Hemis got the omission of the otherwise standard (for them) chrome tips, for all others they could not be opted for.

www.hamtramck-historical.com is a great site for those little details concerning Mopars.

On e-bodies it was a little different. Challenger R/T and Cuda had the N42 tips standard, even in CA. But California cars with 440-6 or Hemi engines couldn't get them. But a 440 Challenger for example had them, which was not possible on a 71 Charger R/T 440 in CA.

N42a_02.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JS23U said:

I'd like to add a bit to John's and Tim's postings here:

Chrysler handled things like "California emissions", bright exhaust tips or their absence differently over the years or between different car lines (b-body/e-body for example). For 1971 Dodge Chargers the N42 bright exhaust tips ("machine gun tips") were an option except for cars equipped with the Hemi engine. For the latter they were a "required option" which you had to pay for. They were an option on all Super Bees and R/Ts and on the 440 version of the SE. They were not allowed at all in California. So technically Hemis got the omission of the otherwise standard (for them) chrome tips, for all others they could not be opted for.

www.hamtramck-historical.com is a great site for those little details concerning Mopars.

On e-bodies it was a little different. Challenger R/T and Cuda had the N42 tips standard, even in CA. But California cars with 440-6 or Hemi engines couldn't get them. But a 440 Challenger for example had them, which was not possible on a 71 Charger R/T 440 in CA.

N42a_02.jpg

Thx Jens...This is different thant what i recalled (obviously).  I need to check my reference library on this, but like you I do find the Hamtramck Registry to be a pretty impeccable source of Mopar history...appreciate you taking the time to post this, too..TB 

• Like 1

I just got the Pursuit Charger from Autoworld yesterday. The box is bigger than the 2021 Charger. There is two wheel options. The base hubcap, and the multi hole steel wheel with poverty caps. The center console, and rear seat seem different as well. A lot of thought went into the kit. I will post pics later.

• Thanks 1

Just got a email a couple days ago saying it was finally on it's way. got it yesterday.  I have not opened the bags yet, but it looks to be very accurate. The box is bigger than the Charger R/T.  It gives you two choices of wheels. Hub cap, or multi hole steel wheel with chrome poverty cap. Center console looks to be solid, and the shifter on the column. Something only a PPV car would have. 

Is it me or do Mobius, AMT, and Revell look like they are made in the same factory?  Anyways, this is a much more detailed than AMT of old. If I did not know the manufacturer, I would say Revell or Mobius. AMT would not enter my mind. Kutos to them for stepping it up on these newer kits.

ppvc1.jpg

ppvc2.jpg

ppvc3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillyBilly said:

I just got the Pursuit Charger from Autoworld yesterday. The box is bigger than the 2021 Charger. There is two wheel options. The base hubcap, and the multi hole steel wheel with poverty caps. The center console, and rear seat seem different as well. A lot of thought went into the kit. I will post pics later.

ppvc1.jpg

ppvc2.jpg

ppvc3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this! Now I have to get one of the police car kits. I echo your sentiments on the new AMT tooling, it's definitely a step up in engineering and detail. I'm currently building the "Supernatural" Impala kit, and I'm blown away by the fit and level of detail they put into this kit.

11 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

Thanks for sharing this! Now I have to get one of the police car kits. I echo your sentiments on the new AMT tooling, it's definitely a step up in engineering and detail. I'm currently building the "Supernatural" Impala kit, and I'm blown away by the fit and level of detail they put into this kit.

I built the Supernatural Impala myself. The fit, and finish was nothing like I am used to from AMT. I went a different direction with it.

On a side note. When I hear Supernatural Impala, I think of the Callaway Supernatural Impala SS from the mid 90s. 

1995 Callaway SuperNatural SS Was a Wilder Chevy Impala (caranddriver.com)

cop kahs.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WillyBilly said:

I built the Supernatural Impala myself. The fit, and finish was nothing like I am used to from AMT. I went a different direction with it.

On a side note. When I hear Supernatural Impala, I think of the Callaway Supernatural Impala SS from the mid 90s. 

1995 Callaway SuperNatural SS Was a Wilder Chevy Impala (caranddriver.com)

cop kahs.jpg

Love the hubcaps on the 67 Impala.  Who sells those?