Model Cars Magazine Forum

Handling small parts

I always struggle with very small parts. I know there is some tool jewelers use but not sure what to look for. In the meantime I found wetting a medium small paint brush will give enough surface tension to pick up a piece and position it.IMG_3998.thumb.jpeg.7030d4fdf0da22669e7ffc9ec0f611fe.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

• Like 2

Surface tension works well for many such tasks.  Using a small paint brush is a good tip.

What you may be thinking of is something like this:

https://uchida.com/products/jewel-picker

has a sticky end. Some tools are double ended and there are several sizes.  Also a wax stick ( bees wax ) is another. You will find this tools in craft stores, Amazon, eBay, your favourite hobby store, ( etc ) Not always easy to search for as they are called different things by different users. 

Wax sticks can be found by searching ( on Amazon for example ) for something like:   nail art wax stick   or nail art picker . 

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

Scale Motorsports has or had something called Grabit Stix that worked well. I have to see if I have any left.

https://scalemotorsport.com/products/grabitstix™

There ya go... these work quite well and I see Mega Hobby carries them. 

I have used small balls of Fun Tac (the blue wall poster stuff) on a toothpick. If it won't be visible after, I'll impale a part on an xacto blade. I have used white glue as well, it peels off after it dries.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cocktail stick, to which I place a blob of Blu-Tack on one end, and then when I lightly press the end of my ' tool ' on the part it can be picked up and positioned where you want it to go . . . Carefully tilting the tool to one side will release the grip, once your glue takes hold . . .

David

I have this double ended tool that works pretty good. Plus this spring loaded gripper. I don’t use either one much, but it’s nice to have them when needed. I have used the gripper for locating lower rad hoses.

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

I use my tweezers from Hell! They have a deal with the carpet monster and can launch a small part so it can never be found. I keep believing it won't this time but it does. 

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

Ugh... radiator hoses... always fun to do. I just did a set for my '77 GMC wrecker. Managed not to drop them this time. I'm using something a little softer so the tweezers take a bite into the material. 

I started using 1/16" shrink sleeving over some .040" wire I somehow have a huge bag of. No idea where it came from. I shrink it over a gas stove flame and it comes in around .055". My radiator and engine fittings I use .093" aluminum tube that has an inner diameter of .062".

21 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

I find myself using these rubber tipped ones more and more often.

IMG_1518.jpeg

Who sells those? I just may shrink some black sleeve over a pair to see how well it works.

9 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Who sells those? I just may shrink some black sleeve over a pair to see how well it works.

I just slipped short pieces of wire insulation onto the tips of my tweezers.  Not as pretty as those factory-dipped tips, but they do the job.