Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT vs Revell 69 Camaro

Would anyone like to provide some opinions on the AMT 69 Camaro, compared to the Revell car? I have a few of the Revell versions, and plan on a stock Yenko build, and a drag car build as well. I was planning on grabbing an AMT kit, but if it’s not really worth doing so, I’d just build the Revell kits. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I hate to say it but the AMT kit really isn't even in the running. 

The lines of the body are too compromised from being based on the '68 kit.

2 minutes ago, espo said:

As Steve pointed out, the AMT version has some body proportion issues that many would become frustrated with trying to make right. 

I kinda figured. The Revell kit is a nice kit, but I was watching one of those Fast and Furious movies earlier, and it had the YSC Camaro in it, and I saw AMT had produced that kit. 
The main reason I asked, is, it seemed odd to me, that two model makers have the rights to the same year car. And maybe the AMT was a decent model.  Since Lindberg kits are now AMT, and you can find both names out there, with the same model, but I don’t remember ever seeing too many, if, any kits both made by AMT and Revell. Is the 69 Camaro the first that is molded by both makers? 

1 minute ago, Brutalform said:

I kinda figured. The Revell kit is a nice kit, but I was watching one of those Fast and Furious movies earlier, and it had the YSC Camaro in it, and I saw AMT had produced that kit. 
The main reason I asked, is, it seemed odd to me, that two model makers have the rights to the same year car. And maybe the AMT was a decent model.  Since Lindberg kits are now AMT, and you can find both names out there, with the same model, but I don’t remember ever seeing too many, if, any kits both made by AMT and Revell. Is the 69 Camaro the first that is molded by both makers? 

I agree, to me it doesn't make a business sense for them both to offer the same kit at about the same time. That said AMT did offer a '69 Camaro Convertible kit that was very good for the time it was released. There was a time years ago when Revelle started to offer a '67 Chevelle 396 ss, and AMT came out at the same time with the same style kit. In that case I would say buy which ever one you like since they both turned out well. Do you like the AMT '67 Chevelle ProStreet with stock taillights or the Revell Pro Street version with the custom rear fascia? 

It was definitely NOT uncommon in the past for different companies to have kits of the same car.

For example, in the late '70s/early '80s every model company had their own kits of the '78-'81 Firebird and Camaros. AMT, MPC, Revell, Monogram, Airfix, Ertl, even Fujimi had at least one kit of those Camaros, many had more then one.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, espo said:

I agree, to me it doesn't make a business sense for them both to offer the same kit at about the same time. That said AMT did offer a '69 Camaro Convertible kit that was very good for the time it was released. There was a time years ago when Revelle started to offer a '67 Chevelle 396 ss, and AMT came out at the same time with the same style kit. In that case I would say buy which ever one you like since they both turned out well. Do you like the AMT '67 Chevelle ProStreet with stock taillights or the Revell Pro Street version with the custom rear fascia? 

Yes. I completely forgot about the 67 Chevelle. I have both in the stash. That rear fascia offered on the pro street version isn’t the prettiest. I even grabbed the original “stock” rear bumper from the blue Revell kit in case I ever got around to building that car. Actually I tossed it in the pro street box so it will be easy to find. 

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

It was definitely NOT uncommon in the past for different companies to have kits of the same car.

For example, in the late '70s/early '80s every model company had their own kits of the '78-'81 Firebird and Camaros. AMT, MPC, Revell, Monogram, Airfix, Ertl, even Fujimi had at least one kit of those Camaros, many had more then one.

Now it’s coming back to me. It’s just whenever I saw a 69 Camaro, the only choice I remember was the Revell. Until AMT released their version of it. 
I have a few of the Revell kits, red, blue, and white styrene. Definitely going to pass on the AMT. 

Posted (edited)

I haven’t been at my bench in a long while. I just bought a new house, and spent a while doing some renovations. Now that I have a beautiful room in the basement for my new model room, I plan on getting some old projects finished. Hopefully I’ll start setting it all up next week. I bought a bunch of items from Scott at Futurattraction, and plan on a couple of drag cars with his stuff. By the way, I’ve never seen nicer wheels and tires that Scott supplied me with. The parts are well worth the money, and I can’t wait to get started. Haven’t been building for almost a year now. You know how it goes….not building for a while, and all these ideas come to mind. 

Edited by Brutalform

The Revell 1/25 scale 1969 is the best option.  And Revell did issue a Yenko version of it.  Keith Marks also offers a Yenko decal set for the Revell kit.  The Monogram 1/24 is very misshapen. 

https://public.fotki.com/mofobow/chevy/camaro/69_camaro_yenko/69_camaro_yenko_a-1.html

SAM_2314.thumb.JPG.b4b218ca900567c02eb4cb34ea90e970.JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

The Revell 1/25 scale 1969 is the best option.  And Revell did issue a Yenko version of it.  Keith Marks also offers a Yenko decal set for the Revell kit.  The Monogram 1/24 is very misshapen. 

https://public.fotki.com/mofobow/chevy/camaro/69_camaro_yenko/69_camaro_yenko_a-1.html

SAM_2314.thumb.JPG.b4b218ca900567c02eb4cb34ea90e970.JPG

Yes, I have Keith’s decals for this car as well. I guess the AMT, and Monogram are both not worth it, unless you want to replicate the box art of the Monogram car. 

The most recent issue of the Revell '69 Yenko Camaro has Fast & Furious licensing. The parts are unchanged, but it has an all-new decal sheet with many more details than the sheet that dates to the original Hot Rod release from 1990 or so.

On 3/28/2024 at 6:49 PM, Brutalform said:

How about the Monogram 69 Camaro, compared to the AMT? That Monogram (white drag car on the box) looks out of proportion. 

image.png.96aeb557fb6f8083c29137679f20c90e.png                   image.png.214896a5634577d521874af9996fc05d.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yes the Revell 1:25 kits all the way, they are the best.
You also have a few variations of this kit, the Z/28, the ZL1 427, the Yenko 427, the Baldwin Motion 427/L72, the SS 396 and a Convertible.
These are based on the same tooling and the only engine difference is the small block 302 in the Z/28, the others have a big block, there are a RS grille in some of them and some includes both grilles.

• Like 2

The Revell 69 Camaro is hands down the best 69 kit out there BUT let's be clear about which "AMT" kit is being discussed.

AMT: The original issue AMT Camaro was decent kit for it's time with decent proportions. The AMT kit was then modified into the Hugger Camaro funny car with modified wheel openings. Model King re-issued this kit a few years ago as "Camaro Funny Car". A note about the AMT Camaro, the RS headlight covers are molded as part of the body (the funny car kits are still this way).

MPC: The original issue MPC Camaro was also decent kit for it's time with fair proportions. The MPC kit was then modified into the Harrell's Camaro. It was again modified into the Jegs Camaro dirt track car (this really cut it up bad). In the 80's MPC attempted to "restore" it to stock and the result is a bit of a mess. I suspect this restored MPC kit is the kit sold as the AMT Yenko Camaro.

Disclaimer: since I am a survivor/rebuilder guy that is what I have available for pictures :) 

The pictures below are a green original issue AMT 69 convertible (really hard to get a picture of) and a yellow original issue MPC 69 coupe. In person the AMT wheel openings look better to my eye than the MPC wheel openings but both are much better than the current Yenko wheel openings.

Carmak

69 Camaro AMT.jpg

69 Camaro MPC.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

WARNING WARNING DANGER DANGER...do NOT be confused by this Monogram mess labeled as "Revell".

This is NOT the droid you're looking for.

image.png.fb3cfb395b2b2f58ce259d7a1a4415a5.png

The box photo should be all that's needed!😂 But, then, it does have those wheels!

9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

The box photo should be all that's needed!😂 But, then, it does have those wheels!

Motor Wheel Spyder at the rear and Fly up front.

• Like 2

I’m sure there will be plenty of snarky comments about how atrociously miss-proportioned the original 1/24 Monogram ’69 Camaro Z/28 is – and they would be absolutely correct!  It almost hurts to even look at it . . . But there are zillions of them still out there along with new ones being sold once again under the Revell label.  I’d avoid that Camaro kit like the plague but, if you happen to end up with one, there is a method of salvation if anyone wants to do the work.  Section It!  Take a small horizontal slice (maybe 2.5 scale inches) out of the upper body (just above the character line over the wheel arches) and slap it back together.  Of course, almost nothing else in the kit will fit correctly after sectioning the body, but if you’re a real glutton for punishment just to improve it’s wretched shape, you’ve got nothing to lose.  I repeat: Nothing!  I rebuilt one of ‘em doing that mod quite a few years ago – here’s pix of the basic modification and finished product.

69 monogram camaro after sectioning3.jpg

69 monogram camaro after sectioning4.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve Geer said:

I rebuilt one of ‘em doing that mod quite a few years ago – here’s pix of the basic modification and finished product.

I really like what you came up with, but it looks more like a Camaro with a Corvair in the woodplie than a genetically pure Camaro.  :D

• Haha 2