Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Ford 3-Window Coupe

Zippi

OUCH!😬. Sorry for you misfortune Bob. Yeah, I see a grey/brown…no blue. AK and Vallejo make some nice blues. This is Vallejo’s dark sea blue…it has as a hint.

IMG_1867.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

27 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

OUCH!😬. Sorry for you misfortune Bob. Yeah, I see a grey/brown…no blue. AK and Vallejo make some nice blues. This is Vallejo’s dark sea blue…it has as a hint.

IMG_1867.jpeg

Thanks Greg.  I'm used to this.  My paint jobs are hit and miss.  Not sure what I'm going to do with this one.  It's going on the back burner for a while.  I'll have to be in the mod to drag this one back out.  That's two 36 Coupes in a row I've messed up. Not a good record.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paul Payne said:

How about another coat of primer, some sanding, and a real coat of blue? This project is too nice to give up on it! Model on!

Thanks Paul.  I'm not giving up on this build just taking a break from it.  The paint has to be removed, there is no way around it.  It's setting in Easy Off as we speak.  Once it's all cleaned up I'll have to think about how I want to move forward.

31 minutes ago, milo1303s said:

why easy off it's toxic use the purple power concentrate much more environmentally friendly plus you don't need to where gloves lol 

Easy Off does a better job for me.  The purple pond does require gloves.  Very bad stuff IMO.  Heck, anything that eats paint can't be good for ya.

1 hour ago, milo1303s said:

why easy off it's toxic use the purple power concentrate much more environmentally friendly plus you don't need to where gloves lol 

Both Easy Off oven cleaner and Purple Power contain Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) as one of the active ingredients.  It will mess up your skin. Not sure why you would call Lye "not environmentally friendly".  But either way either of those home-brewed paint strippers are about equally dangerous.  If you can safely soak your hands in Purple Power, you must have rhino skin. :)

20 minutes ago, peteski said:

Both Easy Off oven cleaner and Purple Power contain Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) as one of the active ingredients.  It will mess up your skin. Not sure why you would call Lye "not environmentally friendly".  But either way either of those home-brewed paint strippers are about equally dangerous.  If you can safely soak your hands in Purple Power, you must have rhino skin. :)

Don't bank rubbers use this stuff to eat their finger prints away so their fingers are slick 😋

hmm......... I've never seen a color so far off and I've been building almost 55 years. sorry about your luck on this. I was painting a 71 cuda a couple years ago and dropped it on the floor totally ruining  a top coat. I know how you feel.

8 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

hmm......... I've never seen a color so far off and I've been building almost 55 years. sorry about your luck on this. I was painting a 71 cuda a couple years ago and dropped it on the floor totally ruining  a top coat. I know how you feel.

Thanks Ken.  It takes the wind out of your sail pretty quick.  

I sprayed the body parts down with Easy Off Even Cleaner and it sat for about 24 hrs.  Cleaned up everything with Dawn and it looks pretty nice.  I'm going to have to do a little work on getting the top secured back to the body and there was a rough spot on the roof I need to deal with.  But....that will be down the road.  Just wanted to get the paint off so I'll have a clean body to start back up with.

20240417_091925.jpg

20240417_091940.jpg

20240417_091948.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

You are not alone with having paint issues- I have a 1962 GT Hawk which may have to be stripped after a less than stellar application of chrome pen.

I hear ya Paul.  I follow my same process each time but I think the weather even though it looks great for painting it's just isn't going to cooperate.   

21 hours ago, Zippi said:

Just getting a little tired of all these paint issues.

Amen to that!  It seems like I spend more time stripping paint than building.  Maybe someday I’ll learn to lay down a smooth coat of paint consistently but so far it still eludes me.  Looking forward to watching your next build if this one is taking a break back in the box.

5 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

Amen to that!  It seems like I spend more time stripping paint than building.  Maybe someday I’ll learn to lay down a smooth coat of paint consistently but so far it still eludes me.  Looking forward to watching your next build if this one is taking a break back in the box.

I hear ya.  I'm looking for those consistent paint jobs as well. The paint has been stripped off the 36.  It needs a good sanding and cleaning and then I can start to think about what to do next.  

16 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Too bad about the paint issues Bob. It's happened to me and it's frustrating. I'm sure you will get it figured out.

Thanks James.  Yeah, just part of the process I guess.  Round 2 coming up.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Bob ,just a run of bad luck I think we Al have had it…

Thanks Carl.  It's not a run of bad luck, it's pretty much the way it is with me and paint.  It either works or it doesn't.