Model Cars Magazine Forum

Badman C/A (ca. 1975)

26 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Looking good. I'm wanting to work with brass and aluminum more. What do you use for drilling your holes as the bits I have for plastic don't seem to work well on brass

I have been using the carbide printed circuit board bits. Harbor Freight carries an inexpensive set, but I have been buying re-sharpened ones on eBay, in lots. Often, I've found a box of fifty for under $20, shipped. I just pay attention to the size(s). If it looks like something I'll use, I buy it. I started buying them, like this, because it's easy to go through them, using them on the lathe and mill. It's kind of nice only having to keep one pin vise handy, with a 1/8" collet, too! I also have a small drawer full of HSS bits. 

DSC_0027cr.jpg

• Like 1

Great job Daniel, you are in your comfort zone with aluminum and it shows!

For carbide bits, they are very useful but the very small ones are easy to break when using with manual devices, they are not designed for that, you have to go gently but after breaking a few you know their limits...! 😢

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Daniel, you are in your comfort zone with aluminum and it shows!

For carbide bits, they are very useful but the very small ones are easy to break when using with manual devices, they are not designed for that, you have to go gently but after breaking a few you know their limits...! 😢

Thank you, Francis. I have gotten better about not breaking them, using them, manually, but, the lathe and mill are where they really shine! I have been amazed at the small size of stock I've been able to bore, with the lathe. I have ended up with a couple in those lots that are finer than a hair! I don't think a standard Sherline (without the high-RPM package) will turn fast enough to use them. I really am happy to have found them, to be sure!

• Like 1

In order to help me feel like I'm getting somewhere, with this (although, looking around the bench shows I've done quite a bit of work), I painted and assembled the rear suspension--mostly. I dropped the rear a hole on the shackles. I like this better!  I just installed the door bars, but don't have photos, yet. The front axle is too long. I made a new one, from brass. I'm going to attempt to mill a set of spindles, inspired by Francis' beautiful work, and a desire, just to see if I can do it! I laid the trac bars in place, too. Questions, critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0028cr.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you, David! Hey, why not, right?😃 It's actually pretty easy. I did my first set in about 1975 with an MPC '68 'Cuda. When I do the assembly, I'll super glue them, but, it's nice to have the option while determining final ride height.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dragcarz said:

I’m really enjoying your build, it’s looking great I love the stance!

Thanks, Roger! I liked it, before, but being able to fine tune it with the shackles really got it just right!

I was playing around on my machines, and made this spindle. It really operates smoothly with no slop. Now, I just have to remember the exact steps I used, to make another! Sorry the photos are fuzzy. Here are a couple of the interior, coming together--door bars installed! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/6/2024 at 3:58 PM, Straightliner59 said:

I have been using the carbide printed circuit board bits. Harbor Freight carries an inexpensive set, but I have been buying re-sharpened ones on eBay, in lots. Often, I've found a box of fifty for under $20, shipped. I just pay attention to the size(s). If it looks like something I'll use, I buy it. I started buying them, like this, because it's easy to go through them, using them on the lathe and mill. It's kind of nice only having to keep one pin vise handy, with a 1/8" collet, too! I also have a small drawer full of HSS bits. 

DSC_0027cr.jpg

I have a lot of those carbide drills too. We were moving the shop at work and I picked the drills out of the dumpster. 

They are really made to be used in machines, by hand they break too easily. Not an issue when I have a box of 50.

I will start holes in plastic with the carbide since it takes a good initial bite, then go with HSS drills. I have a lot of those too.

I use the HSS drills with thin aluminum and brass, carbide wants to grab when it breaks through. I buy packs of step-flashing that is .010" thick. I have some .005" but like the thicker stock.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I have a lot of those carbide drills too. We were moving the shop at work and I picked the drills out of the dumpster. 

They are really made to be used in machines, by hand they break too easily. Not an issue when I have a box of 50.

I will start holes in plastic with the carbide since it takes a good initial bite, then go with HSS drills. I have a lot of those too.

I use the HSS drills with thin aluminum and brass, carbide wants to grab when it breaks through. I buy packs of step-flashing that is .010" thick. I have some .005" but like the thicker stock.

I have a whole bunch of HSS, as well. I bought some Chinese bits, at one point, but they were so hit and miss, that I just buy US made ones, mostly, now. I've started buying all that stuff, in bulk. The carbide bits do work best in the machines, for sure. And, they do grab, when they exit. I'm too lazy to switch bits!😃 My favorite quality of the carbide bits, is that they don't "walk", when starting a hole. That makes them excellent for boring round or hex stock. When I got my flashing, it was a bundle of 100 5"X7" sheets. I don't know how many are left, but I've used a ton of it! A fair amount of it has ended up in the trash 😅, but there's a whole lot of it in my display case, now! If I recall, correctly, it's about .007", once the coating has been sanded off.

DSC_0032cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

Not a big update...I have been trying to sort out the interface between the inner and outer door panels. I may have it figured out. These strips of styrene white glued to the outer side of the inner panels will tell the tale. I probably won't get a chance to work on them until tomorrow, some time, once the glue's had time to dry. Also, I have started playing around with the manifold. It's Weiand, and has different-looking throttle bodies/runners. This will likely end up like the Enderle small-block stacks I did--make one good one, then mold it! Anyway, this photo shows them, in rough form, opposite the Hilborns, on the other side. As always, comments and questions are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I have a whole bunch of HSS, as well. I bought some Chinese bits, at one point, but they were so hit and miss, that I just buy US made ones, mostly, now. I've started buying all that stuff, in bulk. The carbide bits do work best in the machines, for sure. And, they do grab, when they exit. I'm too lazy to switch bits!😃 My favorite quality of the carbide bits, is that they don't "walk", when starting a hole. That makes them excellent for boring round or hex stock. When I got my flashing, it was a bundle of 100 5"X7" sheets. I don't know how many are left, but I've used a ton of it! A fair amount of it has ended up in the trash 😅, but there's a whole lot of it in my display case, now! If I recall, correctly, it's about .007", once the coating has been sanded off.

DSC_0032cr.jpg

I have my drills sorted close o what you are doing. I have one big number drill index, rarely use it. I use mainly old end mill tubes and have them sorted like .025 to .060. .060 to .120 and so on. I rarely use anything over .120 unless I'm outside on the mill. 

I bought one chinese made index set, real small drills, but it is very hard to open without spilling the contents.

23 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I have my drills sorted close o what you are doing. I have one big number drill index, rarely use it. I use mainly old end mill tubes and have them sorted like .025 to .060. .060 to .120 and so on. I rarely use anything over .120 unless I'm outside on the mill. 

I bought one chinese made index set, real small drills, but it is very hard to open without spilling the contents.

I am a believer in "one can never have too many drill bits"!😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I am a believer in "one can never have too many drill bits"!😅

I still run across end mills, slitting saws, many many drills that I have salvaged over the years. I sold a bunch of high-end carbide cutters to a couple of shops some years ago.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:03 AM, Straightliner59 said:

In order to help me feel like I'm getting somewhere, with this (although, looking around the bench shows I've done quite a bit of work), I painted and assembled the rear suspension--mostly. I dropped the rear a hole on the shackles. I like this better!  I just installed the door bars, but don't have photos, yet. The front axle is too long. I made a new one, from brass. I'm going to attempt to mill a set of spindles, inspired by Francis' beautiful work, and a desire, just to see if I can do it! I laid the trac bars in place, too. Questions, critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0028cr.jpg

I was looking at this and a thought came across my mind. I think it would look just a little bit better of you radiusd the rear wheel wells a bit. Just my 2 sence but it looks great anyway.

15 hours ago, David G. said:

Great work fabbing the spindles, the interior is coming along quite nicely too.

David G.

Thanks, David! I just finished milling the second one, a bit ago. I think I have the door thing solved, as well--I hope so, I almost have one of them finished!😃

7 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

I was looking at this and a thought came across my mind. I think it would look just a little bit better of you radiusd the rear wheel wells a bit. Just my 2 sence but it looks great anyway.

I'm not sure that's much of an option. They're already radiused in the kit, and to open them further would put me into the trim. I kind of want to keep that. I appreciate your thoughts, Ace. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I'm not sure that's much of an option. They're already radiused in the kit, and to open them further would put me into the trim. I kind of want to keep that. I appreciate your thoughts, Ace. Thanks!

Ok. Now that I look at photos it looks just right👍.