Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little precaution

With the coming visit this week of my 2 1/2 year old grandson, I (OK- My wife) figured it would be a good idea to add a bit of insurance to my display case.

So, with major trepidation, I carefully slid my display case out of the way and added earthquake straps anchored to the top to keep it from tipping. In all honesty, this was needed anyway since this thing sits on carpet and was a bit wobbly anyway.

10 minutes worth of work and it was firmly back in place. I feel better now- as much for having it secured as for getting this out and back without damaging anything.

Of course, the first thing my wife asked was how come I didn't turn the straps down so they wouldn't be seen......Doh!!!

First pic shows my helper/inspector Georgia.

Later-

20240510_082717.jpg

20240510_082723.jpg

20240510_084131.jpg

20240510_084703.jpg

20240510_085741.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Your wife is one smart cookie!  You're a lucky guy!

Thanks! 35 years tomorrow!

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Looks great. Now is there a lock on the door to keep little fingers and hands out? 

No lock on the door but it sits flush and there is a slot to open it about 3 feet up, out of reach of the grandson.

Later-

• Like 1

There is nothing more gloriously tempting to a little fellow than a shelf of cool models. 

Build a cheap snap-together with him and let him play with it until it falls apart. (Or, maybe that's just encouraging trouble)

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:34 AM, Modlbldr said:

With the coming visit this week of my 2 1/2 year old grandson, I (OK- My wife) figured it would be a good idea to add a bit of insurance to my display case.

So, with major trepidation, I carefully slid my display case out of the way and added earthquake straps anchored to the top to keep it from tipping. In all honesty, this was needed anyway since this thing sits on carpet and was a bit wobbly anyway.

10 minutes worth of work and it was firmly back in place. I feel better now- as much for having it secured as for getting this out and back without damaging anything.

Of course, the first thing my wife asked was how come I didn't turn the straps down so they wouldn't be seen......Doh!!!

First pic shows my helper/inspector Georgia.

Later-

20240510_082717.jpg

20240510_082723.jpg

20240510_084131.jpg

20240510_084703.jpg

20240510_085741.jpg

Excellent idea and one that everyone with little cookie crumblers running about should adopt.  In our area, with little to no earthquake events, an unfortunate 2 1/2-year-old lost his life years ago and his mother and father have made it their mission to keep this safety issue alive.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...