Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Ford Starliner

espo

Oh he'll yes, Dave. The gold looks purty dern 😎 cool. Those gravel shields were kinda neat, weren't they? Great trap for salty slush in early March. Made quick work of those rear quarters 🥴.  Wax on, wax off. Wax off, wax off. Wax on......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work with the foil David. Good looking paint too.

I built mine years ago when I started back into the hobby. I didn't use foil, I masked and painted the trim.

That was the first and last time for that! 😕 

60_Starliner_48.jpg.614d86f1e6e15e1ad8bbe5ce5321e764.jpg

David G.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

If it (ps5 Tamiya) turns out pebbly, maybe use it for a vinyl top paint?

That is a good idea. Not likely to see many vinyl roofs on my builds, just a personal choice. 

On 5/15/2024 at 3:35 PM, customline said:

Oh he'll yes, Dave. The gold looks purty dern 😎 cool. Those gravel shields were kinda neat, weren't they? Great trap for salty slush in early March. Made quick work of those rear quarters 🥴.  Wax on, wax off. Wax off, wax off. Wax on......

You're right about the rust issue since at the time I lived in the outer burbs of Chicago. The quarter panels on cars would rot off by the time you got anywhere near the end of the payment book. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bainford said:

The Starliner is looking wicked. That's a lot of foiling. 

You're right about that. Like so many cars of this era, Detroit still liked to hang a lot of chrome on their cars. I used a third of a brand-new sheet of foil on this.  

On 5/16/2024 at 6:36 AM, David G. said:

Nice work with the foil David. Good looking paint too.

I built mine years ago when I started back into the hobby. I didn't use foil, I masked and painted the trim.

That was the first and last time for that! 😕 

60_Starliner_48.jpg.614d86f1e6e15e1ad8bbe5ce5321e764.jpg

David G.

Great looking Starliner build. With the faint side molding along the fender tops your method may make more seance than all the foil I used. 

19 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking Starliner build. With the faint side molding along the fender tops your method may make more seance than all the foil I used. 

Thank you David. I'd like to build another, this time in Orchid Gray. I'm not sure how I would handle the chrome this time. I'd probably try foil given the experience I had with masking for the paint.

It's been more than a decade and I'm still traumatized! :D 

David G.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Thank you David. I'd like to build another, this time in Orchid Gray. I'm not sure how I would handle the chrome this time. I'd probably try foil given the experience I had with masking for the paint.

It's been more than a decade and I'm still traumatized! :D 

David G.

That would be a beautiful looking color and I recall seeing a few when new. My personal color idea on another build would be in a shade of red like they offered at the time. You mentioned the issue with masking the trim. I did mask of the lower body side molding along with the splash trim behind the rear wheel opening. My thought was to try and save as much of the models trim detailing in that area as this can often be lost under a few coats of paint. I did end up using a lot of masking tape around the side and upper body molding to help guide the trimming of the chrome foil. I had used a #11 to outline all of the chrome before and after the first primer coats but the upper moldings were still so light it was hard to see. Another advantage was that the new sheet of chrome foil I had would leave adhesive residue on the finished paint and by masking the edges of the trim most of it was on the masking tape when removed. Something to consider for next time. 

19 hours ago, espo said:

That would be a beautiful looking color and I recall seeing a few when new. My personal color idea on another build would be in a shade of red like they offered at the time. You mentioned the issue with masking the trim. I did mask of the lower body side molding along with the splash trim behind the rear wheel opening. My thought was to try and save as much of the models trim detailing in that area as this can often be lost under a few coats of paint. I did end up using a lot of masking tape around the side and upper body molding to help guide the trimming of the chrome foil. I had used a #11 to outline all of the chrome before and after the first primer coats but the upper moldings were still so light it was hard to see. Another advantage was that the new sheet of chrome foil I had would leave adhesive residue on the finished paint and by masking the edges of the trim most of it was on the masking tape when removed. Something to consider for next time. 

That red sounds like a good color choice too. Colors are one thing they did well back in that era. 

The trim on that car is not very well defined, rescribing is almost a necessity. Another tactic I've used is placing the chrome tape down after the first primer coat, before the paint has a chance to obscure the lines. Between each coat of paint I cleaned off the foil with lacquer thinner and cotton buds.

51_Chevy2K_34.jpg.c42fe61ec7454d02feabdba14beac9cc.jpg

It worked well enough but in the photo you may be able to see where the paint piled up around the edges of the foil, sort of like a reverse masking line. This one is also painted in enamel paint which tends to be thicker than lacquer. For this reason, it works better with lacquer paints.

I've used this technique just a few of times and it... works. The end results just aren't worth all the extra bother.

I've also noticed, as have you the adhesive residue left behind from the newest batch of BMF. It used to be that isopropyl alcohol would remove the residue but it seems to do little with this current batch except smear it around. I've found that mineral spirits take it right off. If you're using lacquer paint there's no problem but be careful with enamels, of course. 

Even with that, it's still the best batch of BMF I've had in quite some time.

Cheers,

David G.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David G. said:

That red sounds like a good color choice too. Colors are one thing they did well back in that era. 

The trim on that car is not very well defined, rescribing is almost a necessity. Another tactic I've used is placing the chrome tape down after the first primer coat, before the paint has a chance to obscure the lines. Between each coat of paint I cleaned off the foil with lacquer thinner and cotton buds.

51_Chevy2K_34.jpg.c42fe61ec7454d02feabdba14beac9cc.jpg

It worked well enough but in the photo you may be able to see where the paint piled up around the edges of the foil, sort of like a reverse masking line. This one is also painted in enamel paint which tends to be thicker than lacquer. For this reason, it works better with lacquer paints.

I've used this technique just a few of times and it... works. The end results just aren't worth all the extra bother.

I've also noticed, as have you the adhesive residue left behind from the newest batch of BMF. It used to be that isopropyl alcohol would remove the residue but it seems to do little with this current batch except smear it around. I've found that mineral spirits take it right off. If you're using lacquer paint there's no problem but be careful with enamels, of course. 

Even with that, it's still the best batch of BMF I've had in quite some time.

Cheers,

David G.

Great looking '51 Chevy. Had a friend in high school who drove one but in primer, that's all we could afford back then. I'm using some Novus #2 along the edges right now and that seems to be working. Thank you for your interest in the build. I put the windows in last night and started putting the interior on the floor pan. May get some pictures up tonight. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Got the glass tinted and installed. The chassis and interior are coming together as well. 

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

Beautiful work on that tinted glass...how did you do that?

What glue did you use?

• Thanks 1

David, I just can't get over how proper those seat inserts look with the gold speckles! The effect just really brings the whole interior to life.

The window tint looks great too.

David G.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SpeedShift said:

Beautiful work on that tinted glass...how did you do that?

What glue did you use?

Thank you Jim. I do a light dusting coat of clear blue on the inside. I allow it to dry overnight and then dip the windows in a small container if Pledge floor polish. When I remove the glass from the Pledge I allow the excess to run off onto a paper towel. I'll even touch the bottom edge of the glass to sort of wick away any extra to try and prevent any runs in the finish. By morning it is fine to handle. I have been using Revell' Contacta clear glue for clear parts. You really don't need to use very much and any dried glue on the headliner can be touched up with a brush. 

• Like 1