Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak peek .... Lindberg Charger Police Package

SteveG

As for the extra oil pan, it's for the SRT8 engine like I mentioned, the correct one is on the tree with the steel wheels.

Thanks Steve, I Didn't have a lot of time to look it over by the time I got home from

work and took the pics to post.

Your Chargers look Perty Dang Good too.

Maybe your build thread should be bumped back up top.

Hey, Steve. Are the police parts the same as those in the diecast kit?

Is the chassis same as the earlier Testors SRT and R/T kits? In other words, are they interchangeable?

As far as I'm concerned, the decision to not prefinish any of them was just fine!!!

BTW - Thanks for all you did to help the project along.

B)

Those SRT-8 Superbee wheels are hideously undersized. Guess they only tooled one size tire-18".

The middle wheels do not represent alloys. The police cruisers have silver plastic wheelcovers that go over steel wheels Obviously for ease of kit manufacture, the wheels are designed like alloys.

Hope to see lots of variations of these kits built..marked cruisers, unmarked cars, detective cars, baseline cars...

I have the Philly one planned, a sneaky unmarked gunmetal or silver with the wheel covers, and the metallic black with steelies aka FIB Buffalo lol, but not the cheesy grille.

!!g9Lv)QCGE~$(KGrHqYOKjgE0dTfB+V5BNK+CZkTiQ~~_4.JPG These are what the wheel cap ones are supposed to look like.

But they could pass for the alloys in my eyes nQ_640.jpg

The one thing I Hate a lot about this kit is the stupid weak boxes they put them in.

Only opens from the ends and very weak, Do not stack (if you do) too high or anything too

heavy (like other kits)on top of it.

Other than that one complaint, An Excellent kit with lots of Goodies..

Stock up but I'm sure it will be around for a long time.

Hey, Steve. Are the police parts the same as those in the diecast kit?

Is the chassis same as the earlier Testors SRT and R/T kits? In other words, are they interchangeable?

As far as I'm concerned, the decision to not prefinish any of them was just fine!!!

BTW - Thanks for all you did to help the project along.

:)

Your welcome Danno !

From what I understand, all the Testors Plastic and Diecast Chargers along with the Lindberg kits are all based off the same CAD drawings. Lindberg's Police Charger and the Testors Diecast Police car have similar parts, but the Lindberg kit gives you more of them. The steel wheel are more accurate and have separate plated caps. Some of the Diecast kit parts interchange while others don't, go figure. One the other hand, all of the Testors and Lindberg Charger Plastic kit parts will interchange as they're all part of the same tooling. Lindberg actually made the Testors plastic kits under the J. Lloyd name.

-Steve

Your welcome Danno !

From what I understand, all the Testors Plastic and Diecast Chargers along with the Lindberg kits are all based off the same CAD drawings. Lindberg's Police Charger and the Testors Diecast Police car have similar parts, but the Lindberg kit gives you more of them. The steel wheel are more accurate and have separate plated caps. Some of the Diecast kit parts interchange while others don't, go figure. One the other hand, all of the Testors and Lindberg Charger Plastic kit parts will interchange as they're all part of the same tooling. Lindberg actually made the Testors plastic kits under the J. Lloyd name.

-Steve

Thanks! That was my general impression, but I knew you would know.

:)

I got the diecast Charger police car as in insurance policy vs. the plastic kit.

Now that it is no longer needed as such B) I can use the parts on another 1/24 police subject...the Revell "Uptown" Magnum kit. Baseline (non-SRT) Magnum kit. Fix doors in place, add door handles, put all the parts in a box and shake hard...and perhaps I'll have a decent Magnum police car :)

I got the diecast Charger police car as in insurance policy vs. the plastic kit.

Now that it is no longer needed as such ;) I can use the parts on another 1/24 police subject...the Revell "Uptown" Magnum kit. Baseline (non-SRT) Magnum kit. Fix doors in place, add door handles, put all the parts in a box and shake hard...and perhaps I'll have a decent Magnum police car :)

That's what I did here ...

Pushbar and mirrors made the trip to this Magnum.

Dan_Baker_Dodge_Magum_2nd_Place.jpg

I can see a ton of kitbashing potential with the goodies from the new Charger police car kit!

B)

I'm never going to finish the Testors Charger Daytona (diecast door gaps!), at least I completed the engine. I will prob need to repaint the orange insert.

DSC00010-vi.jpg

BTW, it looks like Lindberg didn't include any decals of the dash heater & radio controls... bummer. I tried to make one in my crude art program...

Received_25_08_2009234851-vi.jpg

Reference pics...

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/11_mopar-1/dodge-chargers-of-t/

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/emergency-vehicles/emergency-dodge-cha/

Edited by Jon Cole

Looks like a lot of great parts in these kits. So do the different versions only differ in the decals for the specific livery--do all the police car kits have the same police parts (light bar options,wheel options, etc)?

All the parts look the same but the decals.

The Undecorated car has these decals.

P2230001.jpg

Decorated kit has that States Decals (Floridas)

FloridaPolicedecals.jpg

Funny there is a Hole punch at Decal #5.

Don't want to have 2 Ram Decals??

I have to wonder...

Since four versions of this kit... the Florida, Texas, Illinois and Philly car DON'T have the rear Dodge logo, if they unilaterally decided that NONE of them needed it.

3318483610_07615f383a_b.jpg

cnpca8015a-vi.jpg

cnpca6227a-vi.jpg

cnpca5515a-vi.jpg

Unfortunately 90% of departments (NC included) don't pop the rear logo off to install their graphics.

rnpca3708-vi.jpg

I wonder how much a baggie of Dodge logos goes for... :D

As I understand it, Lindberg's original plan was to offer the liveried kits in pre-painted, pre-decorated form, each with the correct lightbar for the specific agency represented by that kit. The generic kit was to have had an unpainted body and eight different lightbars. Somewhere along the line, the plan changed, obviously, and now all of the kits are the same except for the decals. The interesting thing is that Lindberg has essentially rendered the generic kit _ which likely would've been the top seller of the bunch due to the extra lightbars _ useless. There's absolutely no incentive to but it now, not when you can buy the other kits with the same parts plus actual agency markings.

That's partially right, there were plans all along to prepaint the kits but it had to be dropped in the end. Once the tooling was created for the lightbars it was clear there would be no praticle way to separate them for each kit so that was that. As for a reason to buy the generic kit now, well there's only 1200 of each version. So If you have no plans to build one of the specific agencies grab the generic kit and save the others for someone who wants one while they last.

-Steve

That's partially right, there were plans all along to prepaint the kits but it had to be dropped in the end. Once the tooling was created for the lightbars it was clear there would be no praticle way to separate them for each kit so that was that. As for a reason to buy the generic kit now, well there's only 1200 of each version. So If you have no plans to build one of the specific agencies grab the generic kit and save the others for someone who wants one while they last.

-Steve

Hey, Steve. If these guys sell like radioactive hotcakes, will they consider another run? Or are we locked in at 1200 each version forever?

;)

Hey, Steve. If these guys sell like radioactive hotcakes, will they consider another run? Or are we locked in at 1200 each version forever?

:rolleyes:

I won't say never but I wouldn't bet on a another run any time soon even if they were all sold out tomorrow. The model kit biz is more complicated than you can image.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up one of these kits over the weekend (Philly PD), and I have to say I'm VERY impressed! Lindberg really did a great job of making sure all the police car bases were covered, and the new parts are extremely well done. It may have taken a lot longer than expected to reach the market, but I think this is easily this is easily the best kit to come from the Lindberg/Testors/J. Lloyd Charger tooling.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have each of them, and the new police car kit is Car of the Year (Decade) among them!

:D

1,200 of each version X seven different versions = a total run of 9,400 kits. I don't see them becoming scarce anytime soon! ;):lol:

Perhaps not, but I worry about things like that.

I mean, after all, you just CAN'T find a Caprice kit or a goon car kit or a JoHan Plymouth Police Pursuit kit any more! :D:D

I'd hate to see these Charpgers slip into 'unobtainium' status too soon!

;)

Well ... the Jo-Han Plymouth kit is gonna be scarce because, well, it's Jo-Han ... ;)

I think perhaps the reason the Caprices dried up is that Revell modified the tooling to produce the Impala SS. After that happened, I tend to the think the cop car guys started hoarding them with increased ferocity ... :lol:

The Goon Car kits ... scarce? Really? I see them at shows all the time ... and usually for pretty cheap money. They should get even cheaper, too, what with the Dukes version being recently reissued.

Regarding the Lindberg Chargers, though, I can perhaps see some of the versions becoming scarce ... like perhaps the CHP one. However, if that happens, it still wouldn't be a problem to build a CHP cruiser if one wanted to with a set of aftermarket decals. Another advantage to Lindberg including all of the lightbars in every kit! ;)

Ken,

JoHan = :huh:

:lol: = Irony; mild sarcasm; satire.

:lol: = Laughing Out Loud; just kidding; humor.

The jury is far from 'in' on the new Chargers, but they could well evolve into the next Plymouth Police Pursuit kit if future runs don't occur; on the other hand, if there's no reluctance to reissue them from time to time, they could become the next prolific goon car; the Perennial Patrol Car.

Just saying.

:lol:

like perhaps the CHP one. However, if that happens, it still wouldn't be a problem to build a CHP cruiser if one wanted to with a set of aftermarket decals. Another advantage to Lindberg including all of the lightbars in every kit! ;)

Well O.K., I'll be that guy. :P If you're waiting for a CHP version, your wait shall be a long and fruitless one. They did an LAPD version. They did include the right lightbar for one, but it doesn't come with individual rotators like the one in the Crown Vic kit had, but all the domes are clear...probably possible to use the clear domes with the base and rotators out of the CV kit, but I don't have access to one out here to see if the parts interchange.

The lightbars are a nice solid foundation to start from, but with 0 rotator/reflector engraving they will take a little TLC to make them shine.