Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak peek .... Lindberg Charger Police Package

SteveG

1,200 of each version X seven different versions = a total run of 9,400 kits. I don't see them becoming scarce anytime soon! :DB)

Doesn't 7 X 1,200 = 8400 ? Regardless 8,400 kits is a still a good size run but when you break it down by individual kits versions 1,200 is pretty small.

By comparison I believe the Lindberg - Model King Paul Goldsmith 64 Plymouth Stock Car run was 3,000 pieces. I can see a version or two becoming hard to find.

-Steve

To clarify, this is a Hemi-only kit? I think the inclusion of the V6 (which I guess quite a few departments use) would've been neat, an allowed for building a more realistic unmarked and some civilian cars.

As to lack of weapons- I wouldn't be suprised if some group of moonbats, or quite possibly, the firearm manufacturers, and, again, quite possibly under pressure from said moonbats, forbade their inclusion, as models are "children's toys" after all, dontcha know?

Looks like a nice kit. I may pick one up and do a Mass. State Police car.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

To clarify, this is a Hemi-only kit? I think the inclusion of the V6 (which I guess quite a few departments use) would've been neat, an allowed for building a more realistic unmarked and some civilian cars.

As to lack of weapons- I wouldn't be suprised if some group of moonbats, or quite possibly, the firearm manufacturers, quite possibly under pressure from said moonbats, forbae their inclusion, as models are "children's toys" after all, dontcha know?

Looks like a nice kit. I may pick one up and do a Mass. State Police car.

Charlie Larkin

Hemi Only.

:angry:

Charlie, I realize you're probably being facetious, but I don't think there's any way a firearms manufacturer could have blocked Lindberg from including weaponry in the cop car kits unless, of course, Lindberg was seeking licensing to replicate a specific type of weapon.

I think the real Lindberg chose not to include weapons in these kits is much simpler ... most cruisers are not so equipped anymore. I'm around cops and cop cars quite a bit in the course of my job, and I'm not aware of any of our local or state agencies that have cruisers outfitted with shotguns. These days, the officers have their sidearms, obviously, and, if heavier armament is needed, the Special Response Team gets summoned.

And, further, the advent of Tasers and Glocks has shoved shotguns and assault rifles into the trunk anyway. The SWAT Team or Special Response Team or whatever a given agency calls it takes care of the heavy lifting, as Ken said.

Weapons as interior fodder just aren't the big thing anymore. With a good computer, portable radio, Taser and Glock a good cop just doesn't need a shotgun in his lap.

I'd have rather seen them tool up some antenna bases, GPS disc antennae, switch panels, radars, and LoJack receivers, but I'm REAL happy with the kit as it is. REAL HAPPY. :unsure:

Shotguns are still carried by most departments these days, but they are either in the trunk, or mounted to a rack across the top of the prisoner cage, so to be invisible on this model, especially since it has solid glass all the way around. Shotguns mounted to the dashboards went away with the advent of airbags.

As to the V-6...yeah sure I suppose if you wanted to be uber-specific to replicate the majority of county/local municipalities having a V-6 would have been nice. But that means tooling up another 30+ part engine (if the Hemi is any indication), along with the V-6 specific exhaust. Seeing as how they couldn't bother to include enough decals to make the entire NCHP car :lol: another engine is a fantasy. The kit has 274 parts as it is...

I am happy with these kits, I could be happier, but constrained by the realities of life, I am happy. ;)

I'm pretty stoked w/these kits. There could be a bit more detail/information on the lightbars, and perhaps some sorts of antennae, but considering all the parts it already has, and all the variations possible w/aftermarket support, we're just splitting hairs over a few minor issues here and there.

I've heard two stories about the engine shrouds on the Charger cop cars- some of the local shop owners say they come without them from the factory, others say they're removed later at the request of the agency to expediate maintenance on the vehicles, though the amount of time saved in doing so would probably be negligible. Can't confirm or deny either one- all the Charger police cars I've seen up close and personal so far have been in the fleet for a while, and none had the shroud by the time I saw them.

I've heard two stories about the engine shrouds on the Charger cop cars- some of the local shop owners say they come without them from the factory, others say they're removed later at the request of the agency to expediate maintenance on the vehicles, though the amount of time saved in doing so would probably be negligible. Can't confirm or deny either one- all the Charger police cars I've seen up close and personal so far have been in the fleet for a while, and none had the shroud by the time I saw them.

This is correct. From the factory at least in the few years of the run (2006 & 2007) the cars did arrive with the cover in place. Most were removed later in life, usually at the upfitter, or during the first service. I haven't seen a factory fresh car since then to know if they just stopped altogether. A lot of Crown Vics retire without their engine/intake covers as well, but they have them when new. Either way is correct depending on what stage of life you are trying to represent. :lol:

A lot of superflous stuff was removed and tossed in a pile at Fleet Services while outfitting the cars.

I don't recall any CV I ever drove that had the engine cover in place. Ditto trunk liners, ash trays, and floor mats if provided.

G

I spoke to a buddy of mine today, who just so happens to be a recent ex-Chrysler tech, and he says all the ones he'd worked on didn't have the engine shroud, and some of them were fairly 'fresh', undergoing their first maintenance trip. His theroy is they're either left off at the factory, or removed when the cars are fitted out. But he did say he'd never seen one in place on a police unit in the three years he worked at the dealer after the police Charger was introduced.

Needs some dash cam and radar units too, as most of these kits are marked as highway units. I'm glad there aren't any oversized or super fragile plastic antennae. There are excellent afermarket parts for those already. The pancake GPS unit should be no problem to scratch build.

The AMTRAK cops get Chargers? I figured they'd be Exploders like the rest of the railroad cops use :D

That's a West Coast Amtrak unit, they are also responsible for the Regional Rail system out there, so it's a bit more patrol orientated than the traditional East Coast guys who are more station orientated. There are quite a few CVPIs out there as well. The Chargers came with the U.S. Government's purchase of Chargers across all Federal law enforcement platforms.

U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division, National Park Service, FBI Police, V.A. Hospital Police, U.S. Border Patrol, and U.S. Customs & Border Protection (formerly Customs Service) all have also received Chargers since 2006.

Also they use Expeditions now...not Explo(rer)ders. :angry:

4617242042_7d554db250_b.jpg

At this point in the thread, I think it would be appropriate to wax a little rhapsodic over just how good the Lindberg/Testors/J. Lloyd Charger tooling is. The previous issues of the kit had minor issues (undersized wheels in the Super Bee, crummy decals in the Daytona) and this one isn't 100 percent perfect (no model kits are), but, overall, I believe this tool is one of the finest new ones we've seen in recent years and can stand toe-to-toe with the best from Revell or any other manufacturer.

I also think the folks at Trumpeter could learn something from these Charger kits because they hit a sweet spot that Trumpeter has always aimed for, and, to date has missed by a wide margin. Like Trumpeter's kits, the Chargers sport satisfyingly high parts counts, but, unlike those offerings, they aren't the least bit fiddly, and one never gets the sense they were engineered to be complex just for complexity's sake.

Given just how good the Chargers are, I'd sure like see more newly tooled kits from J. Lloyd. Given that it's been four years since the Chargers hit the market, I have my doubts that we ever will.

I have to agree with Ken! The police Chargers are exceptional kits. Should be the gold standard.

;)