Model Cars Magazine Forum

What IS it with these plastic engine covers...??

This is like a pet peeve of mine. I always loved looking at the engine in my cars.. and I KNOW most here do too .. otherwise, why do we spend so much time modeling them? All through the 80's and 90's I had Porsche 944's with engines you could spend all day looking at. Before that, I loved the look of every engine in every car I owned, be it a lowly VW or a twin-SU carbureted TR4A. Then I retired and went modern with a Infinity G35 ... a great car but, WHERE'S THE ENGINE????? Just a cheap plastic cover over all that beautiful aluminum, rubber, steel and plumbing. The plumbing on cars has increased greatly and maybe they don't have to re-route the engineers A to B plumbing to make it pretty. Well, A to B on an engine was ALWAYS pretty!

I just don't get the reason why for this. I has to be the Marketing Department, which has pretty much ruined everything in this world.

This is like a pet peeve of mine. I always loved looking at the engine in my cars.. and I KNOW most here do too .. otherwise, why do we spend so much time modeling them? All through the 80's and 90's I had Porsche 944's with engines you could spend all day looking at. Before that, I loved the look of every engine in every car I owned, be it a lowly VW or a twin-SU carbureted TR4A. Then I retired and went modern with a Infinity G35 ... a great car but, WHERE'S THE ENGINE????? Just a cheap plastic cover over all that beautiful aluminum, rubber, steel and plumbing. The plumbing on cars has increased greatly and maybe they don't have to re-route the engineers A to B plumbing to make it pretty. Well, A to B on an engine was ALWAYS pretty!

I just don't get the reason why for this. I has to be the Marketing Department, which has pretty much ruined everything in this world.

I'm guessing that engine covers have more to do with product liability issues than anything. Anymore, there is very little under the hood of a car that is user-servicable, unlike the cars of yesteryear, but a lotta stuff there that can hurt you if you don't know what you are doing. Someone, someplace, has likely figured out that it's best that you be encouraged to keep your fingers attached to your hands perhaps?

Certainly, hybrid cars, with their high voltage electrical current, need some sort of safety shielding.

Art

I agree with Art. Those plastic covers are the automaker's not-so-subtle way of saying "stay away from the engine".

Like Art says... modern engines have basically no user-serviceable parts apart from the fluid fillers (which these days are usually color-coded or marked in some other way to make it very obvious to the "do-it-yourselfers" as to what fluid goes in which hole. Apart from that, there's basically nothing your average car owner can do under the hood anymore, unless you have a lot of technical training, specialized tools and electronic equipment, which of course 99% of car owners don't have. These days, in fact, there are plenty of car owners who rely on the quick oil-change franchises to do even the most basic underhood maintenance, like refilling fluids. Many people own a car and never open the hood themselves at all! The days of the shade-tree mechanic are over.

I agree with Art. Those plastic covers are the automaker's not-so-subtle way of saying "stay away from the engine".

Like Art says... modern engines have basically no user-serviceable parts apart from the fluid fillers (which these days are usually color-coded or marked in some other way to make it very obvious to the "do-it-yourselfers" as to what fluid goes in which hole. Apart from that, there's basically nothing your average car owner can do under the hood anymore, unless you have a lot of technical training, specialized tools and electronic equipment, which of course 99% of car owners don't have. These days, in fact, there are plenty of car owners who rely on the quick oil-change franchises to do even the most basic underhood maintenance, like refilling fluids. Many people own a car and never open the hood themselves at all! The days of the shade-tree mechanic are over.

True 'nuff... other than checking the fluids occasionally between service intervals, there is nothing I do under the hood. I took my Jeep to the dealer the first few years, and have found good independent shops to do the dirty work at the service intervals in recent years...

I once complained about those covers to an engineer at work, and was told it STARTED as a cosmetic feature Ala Rolls Royce.Evidently RR engines are SEALED at the factory so that ONLY dealerships had the tools to remove them, thus insuring that ONLY dealers could service them.Over here, they are used to help muffle engine noise.That and again,for cosmetic reasons. The are not dealer only removeable. You can actually pull em off without too much effort, if ya know where to grab em.But yeah, they do clean up the looks of the engine compartment, and tend to scare off "Do it yourself'ers" But like Harry said, there ain't a whole lot of stuff under them that's owner serviceable anymore anyways! :D

Guess you guys are right, there's not much you CAN do. Guess they are Lawyer made. Somewhere little Gnome Lawyer assistants make all these. :D

Look at the Boxster .. a Porsche and you can't even see the hardware!

I wouldn't say its so much new cars are not user servicable as much as they don't need much servicing except for big stuff you wouldn't trust to a shade tree mechanic anyway. Fluids, spark plugs, cap / rotor and ignition wires, on the newest cars you can drop cap rotor and wires.

I compare the work I NEED to do on my '69 Land Cruiser to my '96 Tacoma. Adjust timing? 69 yes, it will wander with time, 96, not unless the computer dies. Adjust valves '69 yes, '96 self adjusting, brakes '69 yes (mechanics run and hide whan I mention brake adjustment, major PITA), '96 self adjusting etc etc.

Like most old cars I need to do continual maintenace on my Land Cruiser, that is just part of the deal. The Tacoma just runs and runs and runs with an occasional oil and filter change, it has only been to a shop twice in the 9 years I've owned it, once to have a spark plug re tapped (stripped threads at 220,000 miles, did the valves and timing belt while they were in there) and once to have the brakes re done (bad timing, had to be done now and I just didn't have the time to do it myself).

How many cars built before 1985 (or so, not sure when the computer thing really kicked in) will go 100,000 miles without any major maintenace required? I'm not talking break downs, just scheduled adjustments. Most of todays cars maintenance consists of oil and filter changes and keeping the fuel tank filled. A trip to the shop for preventive maintenace is tyically a few belts replaced and talking to the computer to make sure everything is still happy. They recommend getting the timing belt replaced around 100,000 miles. That is about it unless something breaks.

If you want to tear down and rebuild your motor you can, only thing you really can't play with is the computer and from what I've seen neither can the shop, they just slap in a new one.

Edited by Aaronw

How many cars built before 1985 (or so, not sure when the computer thing really kicked in) will go 100,000 miles without any major maintenace required? I'm not talking break downs, just scheduled adjustments. Most of todays cars maintenance consists of oil and filter changes and keeping the fuel tank filled. A trip to the shop for preventive maintenace is tyically a few belts replaced and talking to the computer to make sure everything is still happy.

Yeah, I'm amazed at the difference in maintenance of my '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee as compared to older cars ('87 Mustang GT, '88 Bronco II) that I've owned in the past... my Jeep has almost 100k miles now, and still has the original exhaust!

Aaron, on transverse mounted V6/V8's (GM's) you CAN'T access the Right cylender heads to change the plugs WITHOUT loosening or REMOVEING the dogbones(engine vibration dampeners)on the LEFT cylinder head so you can tilt the engine towards the front of the car, JUST TO ACCESS the plugs! NOT really a do it yourself job. Some cars actually need to have the engine cradle DROPPED to do a plug change! Yeeesh, I miss bein able to work on my car. I own a 01 Caddy Eldo ETC,an it cost around 250.00 bucks just for a plug change an computer check! Them dealerships DON'T mess around, they also charge 70 bucks an hour for labor! Yeeesh! :D

Yikes, I need to remember not to get a transverse mounted V engine. My pickup is a regular inline 4 and the only transverse mounted engines I've fooled with were also inline engines. You need to be a contortionist to get at some stuff but don't need to actually remove anything major (unless you include knuckle skin). Of course the room around the engines has certainly changed, I could smuggle a family of four alongside the motor in my Land Cruiser, I might be able to squeeze a box of crackers under the hood of my Tacoma. :D

Edited by Aaronw

My son used to own 2 Camaros... a 95 Z/28 and a 96 RS. Those cars are absolute nightmares for a DIY guy. They have the most user-unfriendly engine bay I've ever seen on a car. It's as if they purposely engineered things to be as hard to work on as possible.

First of all, the engine itself is buried waaaaaay back there... only about half of it is in front of the firewall. Yet there's about 3 feet of empty between the front of the engine and the radiator. Huh??!!!

A simple thing like changing plugs meant major engine disassembly. My poor son paid big bucks to have the plugs changed, only because it took the mechanic (yeah, you needed a mechanic to change the plugs) several hours to do all the dissasembly and reassembly of the various engine components that block access to the plugs.

I told my son, I hope you learned a lesson. Don't ever buy a mid-90s Camaro again. He now owns an Acura RS and he's as happy as a clam... :lol:

There is another reason to cover the engine. They are UGLY.

It is cheaper to create a styled engine cover and let the engineers do their thing with components than to make sure the components are all presentable.

My Magnum's Hemi is nothing to look at once you pop the cover off.

But it sure impresses the neighbors when you first open the hood.

Remember the Mopar "cab forward" design? It made for lovely car designs, but it was absolute hell to work on. I couldn't even change the serpentine belt myself. I was able to do plugs and fluids, that's it.

My Jeep kind of has a cab forward design..the back of the straight 6 is under the cowl, reaching the rear most plug is probably a pain.

My Jeep kind of has a cab forward design..the back of the straight 6 is under the cowl, reaching the rear most plug is probably a pain.

If it's anything like the '98 Cherokee (the little one), it's not all that bad. The only ones I've hated trying to get at were the #1 plugs and wires on the Jeep 4.0l and Chrysler's 2.2/2.5 motors with A/C since all the bracketry are bolted to that same portion of those heads. Usually those little 2.2/2.5 motors were pretty easy for me to tinker with, I did hate that stupid little Mistu turbocharger CC hung off the '88 and later turbo motors though, mine didn't seem to run as good as the Garrett they used in my '85 and the wastegate rod was held on the valve with what was esentially a body clip for a largeish RC car instead of bolting it on like Garrett did :D

That's why I like car's such as the Ferrari 360 Modena and the Koenig Competition, they have clear engine covers so you can see their glory.

I've also noticed that alot of modern "tuner" cars, now have access to clear-colored plexi-glass hood's which is kind of cool I suppose, although I prefer the carbon-fiber hood style my selfe. Still, it's nice to have the engine covered, yet still be able to see it's beauty!

This is such a beautiful piece of art and still has a cover! .. so sad... :D

vq35deik-vi.jpg

And then, the saddest part of this whole thread,,, ZR1 engine window to the plastic cover!!!

corvette_motor_show_20082.jpg

Edited by Foxer

The latest issue of Road and Track has a comparison of the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe and (my) Infiniti G37 Coupe, with the G37 winning but the Hyundai putting up a good fight. One winning point for the Hyundai not mentioned in the article is NO engine cover!!!! There's a lot of small plumbing running around but it sure LOOKS like an engine!

HyundaiGenesis19.jpg

The G37 was not a standard, but it still won that category anyway. I hear the new automatic is a winning one for drivers.

For anyone interested here' the link to the comparison

There is one other reason engines are covered- so the hoses, lines, and wires can be just scattered about like so much spagetti by lazy assemblers (and, later, lazy mechanics)! Pop the cover off, say, a 3.8 L Le Sabre and it looks like Satan's own snake pit!

There's an easy solution... when you buy the car, unfasten the engine cover and toss it over your shoulder. I've done it on every vehicle I've ever owned that came with one and it's never failed me. Of course, now there's a pile of 20 or 30 engine cowls belonging to cars I no longer own at the end of my driveway...

Aaron, on transverse mounted V6/V8's (GM's) you CAN'T access the Right cylender heads to change the plugs WITHOUT loosening or REMOVEING the dogbones(engine vibration dampeners)on the LEFT cylinder head so you can tilt the engine towards the front of the car, JUST TO ACCESS the plugs! NOT really a do it yourself job. Some cars actually need to have the engine cradle DROPPED to do a plug change! Yeeesh, I miss bein able to work on my car.

Meh I had an '86 3.8L Park Avnue 4dr., and an '87 3.8L Lesabre 2dr, and both hands down were the easiest & most fun cars to work on.... Granted I had to lay over the top of the engines to reach the Number 4 Plugs, that was more than an acceptable evil for me, as I could change the Alt in 10 Mins(Including removing and replacing the Serpetine Belt), 25 mins to change the Water Pump, and etc..... The Fact that their hoods tilted forward made it that much easier and comfortable to get my 6'4" 285Lbs frame in there.....

Really the worest ones were the Chevy Beretta's,Pontiac Leman's, and similar cars, as those ones you did have to tilt the engines forward for the most access....

My son used to own 2 Camaros... a 95 Z/28 and a 96 RS. Those cars are absolute nightmares for a DIY guy. They have the most user-unfriendly engine bay I've ever seen on a car. It's as if they purposely engineered things to be as hard to work on as possible.

First of all, the engine itself is buried waaaaaay back there... only about half of it is in front of the firewall. Yet there's about 3 feet of empty between the front of the engine and the radiator. Huh??!!!

A simple thing like changing plugs meant major engine disassembly. My poor son paid big bucks to have the plugs changed, only because it took the mechanic (yeah, you needed a mechanic to change the plugs) several hours to do all the dissasembly and reassembly of the various engine components that block access to the plugs.

I told my son, I hope you learned a lesson. Don't ever buy a mid-90s Camaro again. He now owns an Acura RS and he's as happy as a clam... :blink:

The Biggest Problem you had going for you, is the fact that you had to deal with an F-body..... When the '93's came onto the scene, all engine compartment went out the door...... Really the only way to Change the Plugs on an F-Body LT1, is to have the car on a lift, and reach up to do the change from below....

Even with the Larger '94-96 B/D-Body Caprices/Impala's and Etc, most all Dealer Techs want to change their LT1 Plugs from below, but I was able to do mine along with the Plug wires from above..... It took me 1hr & 45mins to do it, but that was cause I couldn't figure out right away how to route the wires behind the Front Accessory Brackets, without doing the required Removal & Replacement..... Finally figured out that I could run the wire with the boots & brackets still in place, just by using some string, and a straightened coat hanger...... The Positive with my Caprice, is that the Plugs are 100,000 Mile Triple Plats, so I got another 60,000 before they need to be replaced..... B)

When it comes to the Engine Covers, those actually came about, in an attempt to clean up/beautify the Engine Compartments(Several Studies have shown, that the majority of New car Buyers, would much rather not have to look at their engines..Also when they did, they wanted something that they could easily wipe off to make it look a little more cleaner(Ie Big Ol' Plastic Cover).....

More and More Companies are making it difficult for all to do even the simplest Maintainence Routines..... My '08 3.5L V6 Dodge Magnum for Example, lacks an Engine Cover, but it has a Plastic two part Intake Manifold, and you have to remove the Upper portion of the Intake just to change the plugs on the Right side...... Under the Engine, there is a Belly Pan to cover the Oil Pan, Oil Filter, and even the Trans Pan, so that needs to be removed everytime you want to do an Oil Change.... To keep you from attempting to check your Transfluid, or even Service your Automatic Trans, there is no Trans-Dipstick, and there is a Cap Plug on the Trans Tube that Clearly states "Do Not Remove, Service To Be By Dealer Only ".....